FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The pop song challange

Author Topic: The pop song challange
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and kids are in Japan for 11 weeks. My wife told me she misses our local pop station. This station plays stuff like Brittany Spears and...hell, I don't know. The popular stuff that kids like and is on the radio.

She asked me if I could make her a CD of that music because she can't get anything like it in her home town.

However, as I mentioned, I don't know the names or the artists or the songs. It is not my style of music. I don't know what to get her.

At work I have about 30 caps from 20oz Diet Pepsi bottles. Each cap is worth one song at Amazon. I am thinking of downloading a bunch of "today's hit music" and burning her a couple discs.

The challenge is this: Name as many artists and songs can think of from a basic local radio station. If you name it, I will download it. You don't have to like the music, just recognize what is out there for the past 6 or so months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the best pop songs came out more than 6 months ago [Frown]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Ok, well...lets keep it withing the last year. That is the last year of hearing it on the radio, not necessarily the year it was produced.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I turned on the radio for the first time in a long time today. For almost a full hour, I couldn't recognize a single song aired on the "today's hits" station.

Of course, I can sing along to *every* song on the classic rock station. You know you're getting old when classic rock starts playing songs that were released when you were alive.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
See if your local station has a website with internet streaming. Record a few hours with Goldwave or Audacity or something, then burn them onto CDs and send them over.

No research, perfect selection, and you'll still have your free downloads.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
In keeping with the local station/website thing... you could just copy some of the playlist and then use the caps for those songs?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, I can't seem to listen to the radio at all unless it's an "80's Lunch" or an "80's Weekend", etc.

I used to make fun of people who were "living in the past". [Embarrassed]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Like This
This is why I'm hot
Piece of Me
Lollipop
Bartender (feat akon)
Tambourine
Apologize/Apologize remix
Umbrella
Love in this Club
Sexy can I
Love Song
Low
Shawty is a killar (cherish)
Rock her hip (crime mob)
Drop it like it's hot (crowd pleaser)
Hey there Delilah
With you

These are some of the hottest songs from the last 6 months with an emphasis on the later pieces as my memory doesn't go back that far. Thank you, thank you.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this help?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Thank you thank you everyone. I now have what I need to start burning.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I randomly turned on the radio and was rewarded with a preview of Weezers Red Album. My, but that was a master stroke on radio's part in trying to win me back.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Love Song" is quite good, as is "I'm Yours." I've actually had some fun browsing the Amazon MP3 Downloads section and picking up the bits of new music I enjoy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
One that I hear (too much): Tattoo

I think that song should be in the running for most trite lyrics ever.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Tattoo? The Who song?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that pepsi cap thing, you need 5 points to get a song so you only have enough for about 6 songs.

Edit: Oh, and I haven't got a clue about popular music. Sorry.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Tattoo? The Who song?

Sacrilege!

and no, I meant the Jordin Sparks (from American Idol) song released last year.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I *hate* that Tattoo song. But, as it happens, I liked Paris Hilton's single from 2 years ago, and I kinda like Miley Cyrus's latest as well... odd [Smile] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I randomly turned on the radio and was rewarded with a preview of Weezers Red Album. My, but that was a master stroke on radio's part in trying to win me back.

Ugh. Rewarded is an arguable term.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.