FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Extra matter out in space

Author Topic: Extra matter out in space
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
You heard it from me first!

Here it is

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That article was incomprehensible. However, it sounds pretty neat. I'd like to see what ends up published in a journal.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I got it, except I don't understand why the "strands" of matter are accelerated by dark matter so much. I thought dark matter was diffuse, and incapable of exerting strong local gravity.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
So this is half of the unaccounted-for matter?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Yes. The other half was used in Pamela Anderson's breast implants.

I'm very sorry for that.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
So is Pamela.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
So this is half of the unaccounted-for matter?

The article is kind of ambiguous on this point. In one paragraph it says "half the matter that scientists knew must be there but simply could not see" which would imply half of all dark matter. In a later paragraph it says "half of the missing baryonic matter". I assume that "missing baryonic matter" is a subset of dark matter, though, so that would contradict the previous statement.

I'm just as confused as you are. We need a better article, methinks.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that from wording of the 3rd paragraph, baryonic matter is not a subset of dark matter (since they say "there is also...") but that both are a subset of "half the matter that scientists knew must be there but simply could not see"

The 4th paragraph says half the baryonic matter has turned up -- explaining they can see it now in webs.

The 9th paragraph says "This is where dark matter comes in..." which is ambiguous, but may mean, "half the dark matter must be affecting these webs!!!"

But yeah, it would help if the article was better written.

As to Dark Matter being able to affect these "strands" of matter, when I was reading it, I was under the impression they were talking about cosmic-scale strands, not literal spider-web thickness. I've read in other articles how if you could see the entire universe, galaxies are not uniform, but are clustered together in a spider-web shape. (The 4th to last and 3rd to last paragraphs seem to me that's what they are talking about. But again, I could be wrong.)

But yeah, I was confused by that part too. "Dark Matter... pulls the gas in. This causes what I call sonic booms..." So, in other words, they aren't sonic booms, but you just call them that so you won't have to explain what is really happening?

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"...galaxies are not uniform, but are clustered together in a spider-web shape..."

There was an article a few years back that postulated that it's actually concentric stacked rings of octahedrons, IIRC.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.