FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ice Scream

Author Topic: Ice Scream
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Klondike bars are the best ice cream novelties available, nothing else even comes close to being as good. A block of vanilla ice cream coated in chocolate, You cannot make it any better, it like trying to inprove on the Oreo, it cannot be done.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to beat the original, although I like the York peppermint patty flavored ones.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Klondike Heath bars?

And yeah, Klondike doesn't approach the Ben and Jerry's novelties. Or an IT'S-IT. Mmmm, IT'S-IT...

Also, Oreos are better dipped in chocolate.

I've heard they're good deep-fried, too.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by luthe:
it like trying to inprove on the Oreo, it cannot be done.

Um. Apparently you've never had Double Stuf Chocolate Oreos. With milk.

Oh, and Dibs totally top Klondike bars.

[ May 23, 2008, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"statement of disagreement with original poster"

(links to back up my argument)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice cream sandwiches are way better.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oreos are disgusting. Shortening and sugar based sandwiched between virtually flavorless rock hard black cookies. Yuck! The biggest advantage of being diagnosed with gluten intolerance is that I no longer have to eat them to avoid insulting people.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Oreos are disgusting. Shortening and sugar based sandwiched between virtually flavorless rock hard black cookies. Yuck! The biggest advantage of being diagnosed with gluten intolerance is that I no longer have to eat them to avoid insulting people.

Practically all cookies are shortening and sugar based.

Oreos aren't rock hard; your mouth is too soft.

Fret not; I shall take your share of Oreos.

quote:
I no longer have to eat them to avoid insulting people.
:whistles pointedly:
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Practically all cookies are shortening and sugar based.
Yes, but not all of them contain a frosting that is made of nothing but shortening and sugar. If you like the Oreos frosting. By a can of Crisco and a bag of powdered sugar, mix them up and eat. Its cheaper and easier than breaking the Oreos apart and licking off the frosting.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you do for a Klondike bar?

I'd go to the store and buy one for fifty cents.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oreos are good, crushed in Haagen Daas vanilla ice cream and left in the freezer to soften, but Newman Os have stolen my heart

Especially the chocolate cream ones. The cream is so soft and to die for. So much better than Oreo cream.

Now i want a bag, but I am making cookies from scratch this weekend.
I don't think I've had a Klondike, but I could go for chocolate breyer's ice cream on a hot ghiradelli brownie with chocolate chips and hot fudge and whipped cream.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oreo cookie Ice Cream is a crime against nature. You take a dessert that is not only delectable (Ice Cream) but is also naturally gluten free and then contaminate it with something that is not only poisonous (for the gluten intolerant) but is also yucky.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oreo cookie Ice Cream is a crime against nature. You take a dessert that is not only delectable (Ice Cream) but is also naturally gluten free and then contaminate it with something that is not only poisonous (for the gluten intolerant) but is also yucky.

Newman Os has a gluten free edition.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The mint Oreos are the best. And yes, they are also very good deep-dried, especially at a bar.

Ice cream, however, is the devil. [Evil]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is a novelty?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want an It's-It...

AND Breyer's Chocolate Ice Cream over a warm Ghiradelli brownie with hot fudge and whipped cream.

*drools*

*seriously*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit, I'm not quite sure how you feel about Oreos.

[Wink]

"Novelty" in this context just means some clever arrangement of frozen ingredients. They were probably novel at one point.

One question about It's-It: Is the oatmeal cookie cinnamony?

Klondike rules. Oreos are OK with milk (whether liquid or in ice cream form). They absolutely cannot be eaten without it.

Gluten is my favorite. Sorry.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hopelessly devoted to Snickers ice cream bars. And Creamies.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S-IT... Hmmm, now, who mentioned the IT'S-IT... [Wink]

(They used to sell IT'S-IT at my high school at lunch. Sometimes that's all I had for lunch that day. I like mint the best...)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Somehow the combination of oatmeal cookies with mint sounds bad to me. Maybe that's because I'm used to oatmeal cookies with a lot cinnamon, which brings us back to the unanswered question, are the IT's IT oat meal cookies cinnamony?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
quote:

Newman Os has a gluten free edition.
Nice, but for some reason finding a gluten free substitute for Oreo cookies hasn't been one of my priorities.

Sooner or later, someone who's very thoughtful and trying hard will buy me some of the gluten free Newman Os. To show them how much I appreciate their effort and thoughtfulness, I will have to eat said cookies. I sure hope they aren't as bad as Oreos.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

On a more positive note, my ice cream freezers are now here. I'm thinking of making some pineapple/coconut sorbet tonight since my mangoes aren't quite ripe enough.

I'm trying to decide whether to include some freshly grated coconut or just coconut milk. Any opinions?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
The mint Oreos are the best. And yes, they are also very good deep-dried, especially at a bar.

Blasphemy!!!

Where is the Italian inquisition when you need them!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Somehow the combination of oatmeal cookies with mint sounds bad to me. Maybe that's because I'm used to oatmeal cookies with a lot cinnamon, which brings us back to the unanswered question, are the IT's IT oat meal cookies cinnamony?

The cookies are not very cinnamony; just a bit. And the mint ice cream is not as minty as some brands of mint ice cream. It winds up tasting very very good together.

*makes note to send Rabbit Newman Os for Christmas* [Evil] [Wink] [Razz]

hansenj
Member # 4034

Because of this thread I went out and bought chocolate ice cream, brownie mix, whipped cream, and hot fudge...

My tummy is happy.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

there is just no way I can justify to myself a $5 box of brownie mix when you can find Pillsbury on sale for $1.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Blasphemy!!!

Where is the Italian inquisition when you need them!

Heh. It's been almost twelve years since I had ice cream - I'm totally allowed to call it the devil. [Big Grin]

(edit to remove stupid typo)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by luthe:
there is just no way I can justify to myself a $5 box of brownie mix when you can find Pillsbury on sale for $1.

You've never had Ghiradelli's double chocolate brownies, have you?
luthe
Member # 1601

no
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, if you had, you'd know they are totally worth it.

Plus if you go to Costco you can get a big ol' box that makes like 6 batches or something, for only $12-ish.

hansenj
Member # 4034

The store I went to didn't have the Ghiradelli's, which is probably good, because I would have bought it. Instead, I went for Hershey's Triple Chocolate...not as good, but still chocolatey! [Big Grin]
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
What about the Klondike Heath bars?

And yeah, Klondike doesn't approach the Ben and Jerry's novelties. Or an IT'S-IT. Mmmm, IT'S-IT...

Also, Oreos are better dipped in chocolate.

I've heard they're good deep-fried, too.

LIES!! I have never thrown up so much in my life, so horrible, never deep fry them, it's just seering pain then horrible stomach pain.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um... Did you batter them first?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to jump into threads like this with abandon. Then this past year I started developing heartburn--I think it's my body's way of trying to prevent a heart attack in the future.

But I will say that I don't particularly enjoy the chocolate flavor on regular Klondike bars; I prefer the York mint ones. And Oreos, despite their nasty composition, are yummy. As is Oreo ice cream. None of which I'm able to eat much of anymore.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like eating a polar bear.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Rabbit on Oreos. They became kosher a few years back. I'm not impressed. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I'm with Rabbit on Oreos. They became kosher a few years back. I'm not impressed. [Razz]

Finally, a voice of reason and sanity enters this debate.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think the real reason I'm fond of Oreos is my mom never bought them when I was a kid, no matter how much I begged.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Oreo are disgusting alone. Just alright with milk. But how dare you say they are bad in ice cream.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like vanilla ice cream. I don't understand the appeal. I like a sweet cream flavor, but NOT vanilla.

My DH, OTOH, is aggressively pro-vanilla, and all our ice cream is vanilla or vanilla-based.

I used to resent the vanilla hegemony--heck, vanilla is even in chocolate ice cream--but since I switched to eating azuki bean or green tea ice cream, I no longer care.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
But how dare you say they are bad in ice cream.

Well, as a mentioned before, when you put Oreos in ice cream, you take one of the few common desserts that I can actually eat and contaminate it with something that is not only poisonous for me but which I never liked in the first place.

I feel almost as strongly about cookie dough ice cream (even though I actually love cookie dough). It just seems cruel to take one of the few common desserts that I can eat and mix it with something filled with gluten so that I can't have it either. Have some compassion here!

(edited for spelling)

[ May 27, 2008, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

luthe
Member # 1601

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
It's like eating a polar bear.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but real polar bears are not made of ice cream. Much like the moon is not made of delicious moon cheese. mmm moon cheese
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but she eats babies.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Look who's talking!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but she eats babies.
At least babies are tender, delicious and nutritious, unlike Oreo cookies.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Vanilla ice cream with clotted cream on top.

Uber yummy.

Did you know that what you thought are ice flakes in icecream are actually fairys who fell into the mixer. 'Strue....

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Clotted cream on chocolate ice cream (mmm). Truffle sauce or carmeled cream on vanilla ice crean. But black berry pecan ice cream should be eaten without toppings. (But oh, I never thought of putting clotted cream on blackberry pecan ice cream, that could work well).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.