FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DNA and organ replacement question.

Author Topic: DNA and organ replacement question.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
No medical emergency, just thinking about a modern Frankenstein story.

Blood is created in the bone marrow.

If you have a bone marrow transplant, does the new marrow make blood that carries your DNA or the DNA of the donor?

(you can see the CSI possibilities in this can't you. Joe dies. They know its Joe by the blood at the scene. But Joe had a marrow transplant a few years ago. Joe's alive, its the donor who's dead. )

If you have a kidney donated, the kidney retains its donor's dna even while it reproduces cells. Correct?

There is an old logic puzzle. After the big trip, Jason keeps the Argo's as a remembrance. But every year 10% of the boards are rotted, and are replaced. How long before the Argo is no longer the Argo, but a new ship?

If you had a drug that fought all transplant resistance, how many organs could you replace, each with there own DNA, before you were no longer you? Is the self just the brain? Is it more than that? This is where I see a 21st century Frankenstein story going.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
One of Patricia Cornwell's early works dealt with a similar problem... the perpetrator had had some sort of transplant that altered his DNA signature and caused problems for the forensics investigators.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://cobc.comicgenesis.com/d/20070515.html <- Naughtybits blocked out but NSFW if your work is over sensitive.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I would assume that from that point on, bone marrow is producing blood cells with the donor's dna, though only the white blood cells, since red blood cells don't have dna. Since bone marrow transplants are generally used in cases of blood cell cancers (aka leukemias and lymphomas), these transplants essentially set up a whole new immune system, utilizing the donor's genes. Self recognition is developed in the Thymus, so it's less important what dna is involved. This is obviously a very watered down explanation, but gives you the general idea.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Law and Order: SVU, CSI, and the original Law and Order have all had episodes dealing with bone marrow transplants and it confounding the evidence, IIRC. And maybe another procedural show too... I want to say CSI New York, but I'm not sure...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.