FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a new series, please help

Author Topic: I need a new series, please help
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are tons of threads on this, and if anyone can find them I would be pleased.

I need to kick myself out of the Outlander world. As much as I love Jamie Fraser, I need to move on.

So, I am looking for a good, COMPLETE, series, either historical fiction(preferably set in the Americas, so I can pretend I am doing research for work), or a good fantasy series.

Please, though, it must be a complete series. I just can;t take the pain of waiting for the next book anymore!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
How fantasy can it be? I liked both of Carol Berg's series (there were some flaws with them of course, but overall good). Son of Avonar is the first one. But there are multiple lands and magic that feature pretty heavily, so you have to be ok with fantasy- though it is set in medival times. Kind of a love in spite of all odds story. Her other series- first one Transformation- is not much romance, more brotherly love, demon battles, regaining soul kind of story. I think you would like the Avonar one better.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

High fantasy is my favorite.
I will check those out! Thanks.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, should I start with Avonar?
scholarette
Member # 11540

I would recommend the Avonar one first. My mom also read it and really liked it. Which was nice cause she then went and bought the entire series and so I borrowed from her instead of having to buy them.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hobb, Robin Hobb, Robin Hobb.

She has four complete trilogies out.

One is a stand-alon trilogy: Soldier Son. The other is a trilogy of trilogies: The Assassin, Liveships, and Fool trilogies.

My husband is more high-fan than I am--I like grittier things--and he loves Robin Hobb's stuff too.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What kind of fantasy (spec fic?) is Robin Hobb?
scholarette
Member # 11540

The trilogy I read by Hobb was the liveships one. For lots and lots of money, you can buy a ship that is actually alive- the mast can talk to you and it goes super fast and stuff. It is a medieval kind of world. There are pirates and other countries and even dragons. [Smile]
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Yup.

The usual high fantasy things apply--if you've ever read Diana Wynne Jones' Tough Guide To Fantasy, you'll know what I mean--but she is very good at delivering real people within the archetypes.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

My description isn't the greatest but I am not sure how much I can say without including spoilers. [Smile]
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I think your description is fine.

I am pretty picky--I tried reading Robert Jordan, then threw the book across the room--but I have never read anything by Robin Hobb that wasn't worth it.

Her books are in the same spot on the same bookcase as some of my OSC books--the group of books I consider most "evangelical", reads that most people like.

ETA: What books do you guys like to lend out?

My favorite to rec. to others is Connie Willis' To Say Nothing Of The Dog.

scholarette
Member # 11540

I enjoyed the books, but at the end of the living ship trilogy, I felt a bit letdown. Again, trying to avoid spoilers, I guess I kinda felt like the ending was not earned.
As far as Robert Jordan. my husband can not stand the books. I unfortunately am one of those people that has to read to the end, so I suffered through books 5-10 (10 being the worst). 11 started getting back on track and I will read the 12th when it comes out.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Weeeell, high fantasy usually leaves me cold, but I can recommend Lynn Flewelling without a second thought. Her work is made of pure, weapons grade awesome. OSC has rec'ed her Tamir Trilogy on at least two occasions, so you don't have to take my word for it. The first is called <I>The Bone Doll's Twin</I>. It is utterly fantastic.

I also really, really enjoyed the Nightrunner books, set much later in the same world as the Tamir trilogy, but written first. There were three of them, but the fourth is due out on my birthday. WOOT! They are basically about a nightrunner (a sort of spy/thief) and his apprentice. They only save the world from a great evil in <I>one</I> of the books -- the other two are more like mystery stories. I absolutely loved them.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

For fake historical (inspired by history but not actually), how do you feel about the Other Boleyn Girl? She has several books about Henry's wives. Queen's Fool is about a made up girl caught up with Elizabeth and Mary and the intrigue there.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
For historical fiction, try Steven Saylor's "Roma Sub Rosa" series. Not American history, obviously, but it is an incredible series nonetheless.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
To go a different route (on the historical fiction side of things) I'll mention 2 items:

Jeff Shaara (Gods & Generals, Killer Angels etc) is pretty well known for his American war novels

Also, I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, which is fascinating, if sometimes very dry. It is a series of 6 books of historical fiction set around to enlightenment dealing with the rise of modern science, the rise of modern economies, the rise of modern government and the interplay of all these forces with religion and war and race etc... It can definitely be a tough read at some points, as Stephenson is well known for jumping full bore into the style of his works, which makes it very immersive, but sometimes hard to enjoy. The concepts however, are fascinating. So far it's mostly limited to europe, but there is some mention of the colonies as well as some other areas.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Julian May's Many Coloured Land series. Fantasy with science fiction overtones, leading into/interlocking with the Galactic Milieu trilogy, preceded by Intervention as the linking novel between the two series. I read the Many Coloured Land series first, but chronologically Intervention is first, although it also works as a stand alone. But you don't need to read it first to enjoy the series (both of them).
The whole series is superb.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ach, I still have not written these down, but I need to for my summer list. I will have the townlibrary order some from other towns. Ben Franklin would be in Heaven in a modern library, and imagine him with the Internet! His brain really would explode.

In the meantime, OSC has some great suggestions here, near the bottom:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2008-06-01.shtml

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I highly recommend Hobb's books, I just finished the Soldier' Son books, and they were great.

I would start with the Assassin books. They are outstanding, and Fitz is one of my favorite characters.

I love Guy Gavriel Kay, myself. I just got his most recent book on ebay, and will be reading it this week. Try The Lions of Al-Rassan for a historical fantasy that is a fun read.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.