FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not even confession booths are safe from atheism. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Not even confession booths are safe from atheism.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there's a clever joke about catholicism and atheism in this, but I just can't grasp it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/04/cathedral.sex/index.html

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He added that a special ceremony would be held to purify the confession box.
Something about that line just makes me chuckle.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, Bishop Antonio Lanfranchi of Cesena-Sarsina took said the couple's behavior was "an outrage of notable proportions which bespeaks unutterable squalor."
OVER THE TOP! I love it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been much cooler if he said it bespoke scum and villainy.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...*adds to list*
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Hmmm...*adds to list*

If someday it should happen that a victim must be found,
She's got a little list, she's got a little list,
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
Who never would be missed
Who never would be missed.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I love random Gilbert and Sullivan references. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Scott, you may be misunderstanding which list I meant.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am shocked and appalled.

Seriously though, that is disgusting on many levels - including the complete disregard for tolerance. What really gets me is that so far those who have commented here are religious. They should be outraged at the couple for showing such hate filled actions toward G-d and religion. I can't tell if its just anti-Catholicism driving the comments, or some other motive.

I may not be Catholic, but my feelings are the same anger and disgust. Like to see them do the same thing at a Muslim mosque and a Jewish synogog. Legally they might have gotten the same thing (and that is good), but I doubt they would have gotten as much of a chuckle.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I am shocked and appalled.

Of course you are.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Javert is religious? Since when?

Being tickled by the purple prose used in that quote doesn't mean condoning what the couple did.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Occasional, it's actually very difficult to hate an entity you don't believe exists.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I don't see what they were doing as "hate filled". Inappropriate, sure. Even disrespectful. I'm not seeing the hate, though.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I could see doing this as a way of flipping the bird at the Catholic church. I think it's more likely that it was just a fetish thing, though, sort of like doing it in a semi-public area where you might get caught, only more so.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Javert is religious? Since when?

Being tickled by the purple prose used in that quote doesn't mean condoning what the couple did.

Yeah...I thought it was pretty clear I was a godless heathen.

But in all seriousness, I don't condone what the couple did.

As it seems that no one got hurt, however, I feel free to find it mildly amusing.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I'm a little skeptical of "for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place." I suspect there was some sort of added attraction to that particular place.

I disagree with the thread title, though. I really don't think their atheism is what the priest quoted in the article had a problem with.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I got the "aren't we rebellious and naughty, ooo how sexy" vibe from this rather than the hate-crime desecration thing.

edit to add: More like "Not even confessional booths are safe from horny teenagers."

edit to add again: Not teenagers! Just people who act like teenagers.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Ridiculously disrespectful and (from a religious perspective) pretty darn sacrilegious. I do find that the squalor is utterable, however.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I hope that the special purification ceremony mostly consists of a good scubbing with soap and hot water.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought the teenager who admitted to having sex on a roof on Dr. Phil was bad...

quote:
The agency said the pair -- a 31-year-old laborer and a 32-year-old teacher -- defended their conduct saying: "We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place."
I always find it amusing when somebody thinks that people will actually be convinced by silly attitudes like that. Just wait till they see [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
'Til they see what? I mean, seriously, do you think it's going to come up in some Divine Review?

"Now, Mrs. Kasnuinas, it says here that while in your early thirties, you engaged in premarital sex inside a confessional. Would you like to atone for that now or later?"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I thought the teenager who admitted to having sex on a roof on Dr. Phil was bad...
I'll say. Talk about risky sex. Dr. Phil doesn't look sturdy enough to me to support just a roof by itself, let alone two people having sex on said roof.

---

edit:
quote:
I hope that the special purification ceremony mostly consists of a good scubbing with soap and hot water.
Yes, but the grumbling the janitor does must be in Latin and consist of a decade of complaint linked together by a common refrain.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant that if they expect public sympathy then they are in for a surprise.

EDIT: In response to Tom

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I can't tell if its just anti-Catholicism driving the comments, or some other motive.

I'm pretty sure that it was anti-Catholicism in kmboots' case. She's just rabidly anti-Catholic.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably the first time non-Catholics have had sex in there. That has to count for something [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Yeah. I'm a little skeptical of "for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place." I suspect there was some sort of added attraction to that particular place.

I can just imagine how their conversation went:

"Where should we go have sex?"
"Hmm . . . how about the confession booth in that church over there? It's as good a place as any."

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's incorrect in the same way you aren't supposed to have sex in walmart. I don't get what they meant by it's the same as any other place, because for normal people that would mean you shouldn't be having sex there...
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wait, you're not supposed to have sex in Walmart now?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

*takes Walmart off list*

edited for clarity

[ June 04, 2008, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The agency said the pair -- a 31-year-old laborer and a 32-year-old teacher -- defended their conduct saying: "We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place."
What dumb-asses... You can tell that they're trying to make some sort of point with that remark, but it just makes them sound stupid. I can't believe that these are adults, and one is a teacher, no less!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
*takes off list*

That was fast.
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh ::
Scott R
Member # 567

:whistles innocently:
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
:shuffles feet uncomfortably:
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If only confession booths were more portable, we could put one in Walmart and kill two birds.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, I think I know some girls that would go for something like this. However, that would mean I would have to go inside of a church....*shudders*
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
If only confession booths were more portable, we could put one in Walmart and kill two birds.

Probably not, some Walmart customers would assume its a port-a-potty even when faced with a lack of receptacle for their waste. Of this I am certain.

Beyond that if you put a confession booth in Walmart, people would be stuck in the booth for eternity, as spiritual cleanliness would be impossible to maintain upon exiting the booth.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually curious how long WalMart had been on Kate's list.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. Presumably if it was on someone's list and they were serious about said list, it wouldn't remain on the list for long given Wal-Mart's ubiquity.

<--beginning to wonder if Kate's list is just for show.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

[Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got the "aren't we rebellious and naughty, ooo how sexy" vibe from this rather than the hate-crime desecration thing.

edit to add: More like "Not even confessional booths are safe from horny teenagers."

edit to add again: Not teenagers! Just people who act like teenagers.

QFT
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The first edit was to agree with Dana that the headline "not safe from atheism" was probably missing the point.

The second was when I checked my assumption that they were teenagers and discovered that they were not.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

all of which was true, so I left it in...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Does killing the birds make the sex better? Is it some kind of fertility ritual? Or do they live in Wal-Mart and the confessional is going to be erected on top of their abode, crushing them?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Maybe I am misunderstanding the QTF? (It has been one of those days.) I googled it and got...ah a different translation.

Language Warning!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QTF%3F

One that started with the spanish for "what" "Que the *expletive*".

So I thought you were asking what I meant.

It has been a day. Sigh.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
...and the confessional is going to be erected...

(No pun intended.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

Does killing the birds make the sex better? Is it some kind of fertility ritual?
::nods:: It does, and it is. Specifically, we're talking about pigeon blood. Oh, you can use other birds in a pinch, but if you're really going to do it right, the old fashioned way, they've got to be pigeons.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"quoted for truth"?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
You know, Occasional, it's actually very difficult to hate an entity you don't believe exists.

I love that people have this quiet reverence for churches, even though many claim not to be religious. I don't believe in God, why exactly should I show any special respect for those who do, or the places in which they do it? No disrespect is necessary, but special respect is not warranted either.

I don't get suddenly feminist when I walk past abortion clinics (not a daily occurrence), but I don't hate abortions. I just don't believe in them very strongly- why should I show respect for something I don't believe?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the QTF? (It has been one of those days.) I googled it and got...ah a different translation.

Language Warning!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QTF%3F

One that started with the spanish for "what" "Que the *expletive*".

So I thought you were asking what I meant.

It has been a day. Sigh.

Um... nope.. I just typoed QFT-- "quoted for truth"

my bad [Blushing]

Edit: no, I didn't, you misread. I am VINDICATED!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.