FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting Started with Orson Scott Card (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting Started with Orson Scott Card
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised PromoGuy doesn't seem upset about the level of spoilers in this thread. But it's probably because he doesn't realize how much some of you have actually spoiled about the stories. You've hinted at things, you've outright said others, and eluded to a whole lot.

Did you forget that at some point you got the chance to read books and be surprised at what happens next? Did you forget what it's like to read a book for the first time? And even if PromoGuy doesn't mind, other first time readers could come in here for recommendations.

I'm pretty disgusted. Start your own thread to analyze the books and stop potentially ruining them for others.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody's so hard on Treasure Box -- it's one of my favorites, I re-read it and Pastwatch and Enchantment all the time!

I agree with BlackBlade's "ignorance is bliss" comment. I'm trying to expunge all I've learned about the bad science in that saga from my memory banks! [Frown]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Treasure Box! It does have a weak ending, but the first half is amazing and, yeah, quite creepy.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing and the Capitol stories are my favoritest of all the OSC works. I cannot recommend them enough.

I used to really like the Ender series, but that stupid Shadow series has ruined it all for me.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
The character Anset was a sort of prototype for Ender in Ender's game so Songmaster should put you in good stead once you get into Ender's Game. But be warned it's a bit more graphic in terms of subject matter and violence.

You have that backwards. Ender came first.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My baby brother gave me Maps in the Mirror for my birthday, and I've been making my way through it.

I read the short story Lost Boys yesterday morning and it made me cry, despite having read the novel already and despite knowing everything that was to happen. What a great story.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
The character Anset was a sort of prototype for Ender in Ender's game so Songmaster should put you in good stead once you get into Ender's Game. But be warned it's a bit more graphic in terms of subject matter and violence.

You have that backwards. Ender came first.
Don't think so, both stories were short stories first and I am pretty sure Songmaster came first.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You are wrong. Not only was the novelette Ender's Game written before Mikal's Songbird, it was also published a year earlier.

And I didn't even have to leave this website to verify that.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Worthing Saga should be peoples first read if given the opportunity to choose from the whole selection. If I'm not mistaken, weren't those his first stories? I love seeing Cards evolution as an author, both literary and ideaologically. I make no pretenses about the Worthing Saga being the best written, but as far as enjoying the mind of OSC, I think it's one of the best.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are wrong. Not only was the novelette Ender's Game written before Mikal's Songbird, it was also published a year earlier.

And I didn't even have to leave this website to verify that.

Well I DID leave the website. Your are right and wrong. I just reviewed the Enders Game 20th Anniversary audio book and in the afterword Mr. Card states that while Enders Game the novella was certainly first, Songmaster was developed from a short story into a novel before Ender's Game was. Mr. Card mentions that he learned how to adapt Enders Game into a novel because he had done it with Songmaster.

I also think it's fair to say that Ansset is much closer to the Ender of Ender's Game the novel than Ender of the novella is.

[ July 22, 2008, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Nope, I'm only right. You're backtracking now. Reread what you originally said.

The discrepancy was never between which was developed into a novel first.

Enjoy your retconning.

C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:

I used to really like the Ender series, but that stupid Shadow series has ruined it all for me.

*unleashes T:man
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
T:man was previously leashed?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Blasphemy I believe that Ender's Game ruined the Shadow series for you.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Nope, I'm only right. You're backtracking now. Reread what you originally said.

The discrepancy was never between which was developed into a novel first.

Enjoy your retconning.

Lets see....
quote:
Your are right and wrong
Nope, hull integrity remains at 100% Enjoy missing the finer details in life.

The original argument was about whether Ansset was a prototype of Ender.

Edit: And apparently Mr. Card himself has weighed in on this very topic within these very forums.

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004092;p=0&r=nfx

Would that he'd graze these forums more often and talk about this sort of thing.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I think the Worthing Saga should be peoples first read if given the opportunity to choose from the whole selection. If I'm not mistaken, weren't those his first stories? I love seeing Cards evolution as an author, both literary and ideaologically. I make no pretenses about the Worthing Saga being the best written, but as far as enjoying the mind of OSC, I think it's one of the best.

"Breaking the Game" is a great short story- worthy of inclusion in anthologies.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
"Lost the Game"
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
quote:

Blasphemy I believe that Ender's Game ruined the Shadow series for you.
I believe you are wrong.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trent Destian:
"Lost the Game"

If that is a correction, it is not accurate.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.