FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Euro 2008 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Euro 2008
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The turks won. Wow... So Germany will be in the final... [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a crazy final - Turkey sure is the comeback kid this year, aren't they?

Crap. And I just realized that while I was watching the show playing out on TV the dvr stopped recording (since the game overran) and now my husband won't be able to watch the penalty shots.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, those shots were the culmination of a depressing few minutes for Croatia.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ouch, that must have hurt. Russia in the semis; never thought I'd see this after the way they played against Spain in their first match.

So far all the teams qualified for the semis have finished second in their groups. Let's see if Spain can beat the odds. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Frown] Noooooo, Portugal and netherlands out? [Grumble]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I was confident that the Germans would play better than in the group phase, so beating Portugal was never out of reach.

But the Russians came from nowhere. I saw their game against Sweden, but I thought even after that one that they would be no match for the Netherlands... Boy was I wrong. No matter, the Russians' win was totally deserved, I just hope they'll play like that in the semis and then we'll see another great match.

Jhai
Member # 5633

The domination was a little unreal. If the Russians had lost it would have been a shame. I went into the game hoping for a Dutch win, but after a few minutes I was rooting for Russia just because they were playing so well.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bootjes
Member # 11624

- posted      Profile for bootjes           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Russia deserved it though.
I hope it's them against Turkey in the finals.

Posts: 129 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've never seen Russia play that well.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

And Italy is out... [Frown]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Winning your group seems to be a curse this year...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Italy didn't win their group, the Netherlands were first in that one. Spain did. So not a very effective curse, only 75% efficiency. And with such a small sample... [Razz]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Germany win, despite being outclassed for most of the game by a depleted Turkish team. But in interviews after the match the Germans said they were very wary of the "usual" end-of-game performance of the Turks. Wasn't meant to be a fourth time around, I guess. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Germany Turkey game in a pub here on campus (I'm at the University of East Anglia, in Norwich, for a conference); it was a very good game. As you say, the Turkish team was outclassing the Germans for most of the game, but the Germans definitely earned their goals. Some excellent play on both sides.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

You have to admire the dedication of the Turks. The player's head had to be stapled together, and he played on.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, definitely.

In the Russia - Spain match, Russia was really disappointing, though. Luckily it was still fun to watch, because there were a lot of spaniards in the audience.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, Spain totally deserved last night's victory. I was rooting for the Germans, but except for maybe 15 minutes in the first half they were consistently dominated by the Spanish. Well done!
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, the Spanish played really, really well. The goal was an excellent bit of play.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Jim White - Justice is done

Excellent article. This was indeed one of the best ending tournaments. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.