FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Connecting to work from home VPN style

Author Topic: Connecting to work from home VPN style
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I just realized my work would be a lot easier if I could do some menial tasks at night from my home computer. I looked up how to do on the web, but I only found a walk through using the "create a new connection wizard." My work computer has a public ip address, so I put that in.

It's not working. The walk through did not address if I needed to install any protocols or software on my work computer. It also didn't address if I needed to do anything on the work server or firewall.

Home computer: XP PRO
Work Computer: XP PRO on a Server 2003 domain.

Any ideas or resources I could look at to make this work?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
there is a way, you can find it in the control panel, that you can directly take over another computer. that would help if you can keep your work comp on.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
lem, you'll absolutely need to open some RDP ports if they aren't already open. A better solution is to set up a VPN server, so that your RDP traffic is kept internal and you're only exchanging HTTP over the public internet.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If your work computer is protected by a firewall or other security device, you'll need to speak with your system administrator about having him open ports from your home machine to your work machine.

Alternatively, most firewalls have a VPN solution; you can create a VPN with your work's firewall (rather than with your machine at work), and then access your work machine that way. This may necessitate installing some software on your end, but it's probably the best (most secure, most common) solution for what you want to do.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Most businesses will have a policy in place in regards to remote access to the network. If you want VPN access then either they will need to issue a VPN client or add you to a correct security group that will give you permissions required for connectivity. You might want to determine exactly what you are wanting prior to talking to your system administrator. Do you want access only to your email or do you want full access to network resources? If you want just email then there may be a quick way for you to access that using Outlook Web Access.

Many firewalls do offer vpn access but they usually require a client on your laptop/desktop to establish the correct connection the firewall. Other VPN appliances such as Aventail offer clientless SSL VPN connectivity.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, lem basically is his system administrator.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Well, I'm not the system administrator for the district--just for our school. The district has really made an effort in homogenizing all the different servers and applications.

Before it was everyman school for itself and I was lucky enough to start as a lab aid in an older school with LOTS of problems and no plan. I was able to learn,get our labs working and our students a network id, and prove myself.

Now the district has started implementing a district wide AD and network. Our school was one of the first school to set it up, tho a few tech savvy people had it set up on linux at other schools. The district is focusing on Microsoft and our network person has really started converting all the school to the district server.

They have just put in a gigabit connection to every school and the internet. We have an awesome backbone and they put wireless in each school.

Bringing our school up to speed ahead of the district got me major kudos, but I am no where near close to being a network administrator--tho my skills are improving.

They have just hired full time techs to cover certain cones to make everything uniform. I was offered that job over my cone, but I was also offered a different job at better pay.

Starting this year I will be running Accelerated Reader in all the elementary schools (it is not implemented yet), Read180 in all the intermediate and middle schools (part of what I am doing now--last year to keep me they paid me extra to put in READ180 district wide, and it has been a smashing success), and managing the lunch program. I will also be in charge of SIF.

The nice thing is my office will stay at the middle school. I like it because I have created 2 isolated networks where I can test linux on one and Server 2003 (sharepoint service specifically now) on the other. It is also only 1 block from my house.

No one has a VPN on a windows machine, tho we did get it working through linux. I guess I can try our network admin again, tho he is not the best communicator.

I need to shine this year, and being able to remote in will help.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what type of firewall device is set up at your location, lem? Probably the best way to handle VPN is with the firewall. It allows you to VPN without opening ports. You'll need a client to do it, but if your firewall happens to offer VPN capabilities it'll likely have an available client. The trick, of course, is setting it up. IPSec VPNs can be a little complex, and no manufacturer does it quite the same way.

Edit to add: Assuming the school district is planning to connect each school together, it is most likely this will be accomplished with a Site-to-site VPN, which means it is very likely you can set up a VPN connection with an IPSec client, assuming you have credentials to do so.

[ June 12, 2008, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I talked to the district network guy. He set me up with a district username/password and gave me the ip address to the district VPN. Once I am connected it gets me through the district firewall. From there I can use remote desktop to either get to my desk or any other school computer that has RD enabled.

Now I can just to work it backwards to my home computer.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You probably have a firewall at home doing NAT to your home computer, too (especially if you have more than one computer attached to your router). You'll need to open up ports and set up port forwarding on your home firewall to see your home computer over RDP.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.