FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » XKCD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: XKCD
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in a bummed out mood all night, but then I remembered that XKCD puts out a new comic on late Thursday nights. I read it. I like this one a lot.

If any of you don't know what I'm talking about- here it is. XKCD

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
XKCD puts out a new comic more frequently than that, you realize.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
the one from the other day was one of my favorites in the last few months I think.

http://xkcd.com/435/

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I love xkcd.

There are at least a half-dozen threads here on the strip, however.

/spoilsport

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they put one out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It's just that none of those days are this day unfortunately, except for Friday.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Strider- I so need to print that out for my husband.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
the one from the other day was one of my favorites in the last few months I think.

I e-mailed that to my brother, the actuary.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
xkcd: for all your nerd humor needs*

*allergy warning: author occasionally gets creepy weird over women

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

I e-mailed that to my brother, the actuary.
Ah, but actuaries use applied math. My dad is a theoretical mathematician. I bet he'd love that one. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

My bro still focused mainly on pure math. Crazy genius.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that one as long at the mouse over is included. Make it that much better [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The joke actually works if you think of "purity" as in "purity test", too.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I love xkcd.

There are at least a half-dozen threads here on the strip, however.

/spoilsport

Indeed.

Many of them with the same title.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

*allergy warning: author occasionally gets creepy weird over women

Occasionally? [Wink]

Yeah, the strips that give off an "airing dirty laundry" vibe tend to make me highly uncomfortable.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
My dad is a theoretical mathematician. I bet he'd love that one.

My dad loved it so much he printed it out and put it on his office door.

Two days ago, when someone else (a good friend of mine, as it happens) sent my mom the link . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get today's comic. At all.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you familiar with the joke where a double entendre is created after the fact by saying "that's what she said!"

A bad example: Regarding some homework, one friend says to the other, "I can't believe how hard it is." Response: "That's what she said!" ("shooter" hands optional)

The strip is about the misapplication of this joke. It's about people who try to use jokes they don't understand.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I got that.

I just thought it was really dumb.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Aha. Thanks. I get it now.

I liked the previous one much better, though. That was hilarious! I think I need to forward it to my physics professor.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was hilarious! I think I need to forward it to my physics professor.
That's what she said......

(Come on, someone had to say it.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The joke has a small bit of backstory. It makes a little more sense if you read these:

http://www.xkcd.com/174/

http://www.xkcd.com/366/

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Except I thought those were dumb too.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

No, I think the useful bit of information that I needed was the use of "that's what she said." I didn't get those comics either, back when they were new.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, today's(friday's) I think is undoubtedly the worst strip of XKCD in history... Some of the red spider ones are pretty bad... but yeah.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Rivka, bluntly, why do you think it's dumb? Seems to me it's a fairly humorous examination of something that's dumb, as opposed to a dumb comic in and of itself.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "that's what she said" comics. I think you have to be in a certain demographic, though - you've got to have friends who say the phrase, either ironically or straight.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got that.

I just thought it was really dumb.

I agree with Jhai. It's a 'cultural' thing.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I like the "that's what she said" comics. I think you have to be in a certain demographic, though - you've got to have friends who say the phrase, either ironically or straight.

Agreed.

My friends and I will say that and "your mom" occasionally. Though, for us, the goal is for it to make as little sense as possible in a sexual context. In fact, what made the second one silverdragon linked so funny for me is the fact that we've had that nearly exact same interaction take place at least a couple of times. It can be a great way to break the tension in a particularly heated discussion. Sometimes.

"So's your face" can be fun, too.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Except I thought those were dumb too.
I'm with rollainm and Jhai. I particularly liked the second one sylvrdragon linked because of the incorporation of "your mom" jokes, which my friends and I use relatively regularly. Or at least used to.

That's what she said has become much more popular in our conversation since The Office came around. And so far hasn't gotten old at all.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
At least to you.....

Some of us were using it before the Office was even a show.

In either country....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

well aren't you special. [Razz]
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what she said.

[Smile]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I say it also, but... It just doesn't even strike me as humorous this time. The first one or two times he did it i might have cracked a smile... but this time I was just confused and thought it was "dumb," in rivka's words.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't ever think any given XKCD strip is dumb. It's either funny or terrifying.

that kid is so weird

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen some dumb ones.....but usually I find them pretty cool, and sometimes completely hilarious.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
Seems to me it's a fairly humorous examination of something that's dumb, as opposed to a dumb comic in and of itself.

You are entitled to your opinion. [Wink]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?

I checked Erdos out on Wikipedia, but I still don't get it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This explains it a bit.

Usually when I don't get an XKCD I go to the thread discussion in the official forum, where someone will have posted a link to something relevant. (I didn't get todays until I

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Huh?

I checked Erdos out on Wikipedia, but I still don't get it.

You want this Wikipedia page.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you know, what he said.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Erdos number of 7 (confirmed). It might be as low as 4 but I have to check that by hand.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I love how Wikipedia already has the XKCD comic included.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Now confirmed Erdos number of 5.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's pretty cool, Rabbit.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kevin Bacon number of 3.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? What were you in?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Really? What were you in?

I supose it really isn't that curious that you are more interested in Pixiest's filmography than my scientific publications.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
FlyingCow: I was in a coupla amateur productions with a guy who had a single line in Pass The Ammo with Bill Paxton who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

I'm no one famous.

Rabbit: People can wrap their heads around stage and theatre better than they can around math. It's more accessible. Plus people know who Bill Paxton is and they probably don't know any of your associated mathematicians.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stunned. I shouldn't be stunned by the things mathematicians will do, having roomed with a scary mathematician for three years in college, but I am.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.