FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just To Say I Have...

Author Topic: Just To Say I Have...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to a Willie Nelson concert this evening with a friend of mine. He's a big fan of Willie. While I, on the other hand, have heard almost nothing by him.

But it's a new, interesting, and unique experience. So, I'm giving it a shot.

Is anyone a Willie Nelson fan?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy some Willie Nelson songs. The simple melodies and unforced vocals appeal to me.

How was the concert?

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
While I enjoy Willie's music, I despise the idea behind his recent hit--Beer For Our Horses. Basically its an ode to drunken vigilante justice, which is rarely just. It's big refrain states something like, "Justice is the most important thing." What about love, family, faith, God, etc...? Doesn't matter as long as we shoot and/or lynch the bad guys.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
SR: just one question. What did you eat after the concert, and how much?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The concert was actually really good. I think the venue sold out. The opening act was horrible, but the main event was actually very enjoyable.

And no, I did not get a contact high. I did not get the munchies. The only thing I had after the concert was a Vanilla Dr. Pepper from Sonic due to my mild thirst.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note -- Toby Keith wrote Beer for My Horses, not Willie Nelson. Although of course, as you noted, he did help make it a hit. But that whole vigilante thing seems more like Keith's philosophy than Nelson's. I suspect Willie liked it for the tongue in cheek chorus.

Steve, did you find you recognized more of his songs than you thought you would? (course, you're still young--you probably really haven't heard many of the songs that are staples to us old folks)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
But that whole vigilante thing seems more like Keith's philosophy than Nelson's.

I think that is patently untrue. And I agree with Dan.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't generally listen to that sort of music at all. But when I worked at a record store one Christmas a loooooong time ago (we sold VINYL records), they used to play Willie Nelson's christmas album a lot and it actually was pretty good. I grew to like it a lot. Still never became a fan, though.

Sometimes live music, on the other hand, is really fun even when it's not the sort of music you usually listen to. Glad you liked the show.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I only recognized the songs because the guy I was going with was a big fan, and he played a bunch of his music on the way there.

I'm not a huge fan of his stuff. I'd only heard two or three songs before I said I would go. But the man's a living legend, so I figured it couldn't be a bad experience.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.