FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Black Violin

Author Topic: Black Violin
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else here familiar with this group?

Black Violin (Warning: Flash player-intensive site)

I was at the Smoky Hill River Festival today in Salina, Kansas. While quickly browsing the art and craft tents, I heard an incredibly good violin being played on a nearby stage. I wasn't intending to stop and listen to music at the moment, but what I heard was powerful. I didn't want to miss out on some good music, so I found a seat (there weren't many left in the shade).

Black Violin mixes classical violin music with hip-hop and rap. They were playing to a fairly typical crowd for Salina, KS and getting a nice response. Apparently, they've toured with several famous groups, won some awards, and they're getting some good exposure.

I'm not a fan of rap or hip-hop music. "Not a fan" means I have bought perhaps a half-dozen rap or hip-hop songs in the past three years. Most rap and hip-hop music annoys me, honestly, so I don't go out of my way to listen to new stuff. I think the reason I am enjoying this music so much is that the hip-hop and rap elements are kept to a relative minimum.

I'm not a good critic of music, but I thought I'd share this with anyone who might be interested. Yes, I bought one of their albums and I've already listened to the whole thing. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "African American" violin myself.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is hip-hop violin duos some sort of new genre that's taking off?

These guys sound like a carbon copy of Nuttin But Stringz.

I've heard a couple songs from NBS, including their single from a few years ago, "Thunder," and they sound like more impressive musicians on their instruments alone, but overall the feel of both duos is fairly the same.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe "Nuttin But Stringz" is a carbon copy of Black Violin. Can't really tell from a quick search.

Orincoro: [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.