FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PA legislature won't recognize Muslisms

Author Topic: PA legislature won't recognize Muslisms
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
From here
quote:
State lawmakers Wednesday held up voting on a resolution in recognition of a Muslim group's upcoming convention after a legislator protested that "the Muslims do not recognize Jesus Christ as God."
Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, a Republican from Butler County, north of Pittsburgh, said he opposed the House's formal recognition of this weekend's 60th annual convention in Harrisburg of the U.S. chapter of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.

"The Muslims do not recognize Jesus Christ as God and I will be voting negative," he said on the House floor.

The two-page resolution, sponsored by Speaker Dennis O'Brien, a Republican from Philadelphia, noted that the convention's mission was to "increase faith and harmony and introduce various humanitarian, social and religious services."

quote:
The resolution was passed over for consideration after Republican Gordon Denlinger of Lancaster suggested that it be sent back to committee. It could come up later, but the group's convention is this weekend and the House is not scheduled to reconvene until Monday.

Invoking the memory of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Denlinger said the resolution should not have been promoted as noncontroversial under House rules.

"Certainly this nation went through an attack some years ago that is well-burned into the subconscious of our society," he said. "What I sense on our floor today is that, for some people, this evokes very strong passion and emotion."

I don't know what else to add to this.

[ June 19, 2008, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the government have to recognize a convention?

Which is not to say I agree with the lawmakers...they sound, quite frankly, like idiots and bigots. But should the government be 'formally recognizing' any conventions at all? Be they religious or Star Trek in nature.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Javert,
There's a lot of, to me, pointless bs involved in government, especially an enormous one like PA state government. I don't really think this should be the case, but other people would get upset if the government didn't recognize their central south east PA needle threading competition for 14 to 16 1/2 year olds.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
That is just awful narrow-minded bigotry, and if I were a constituent, I'd be letting them know what I think of that sort of nastiness.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Tante,
I'm not sure that many of their constituents don't share this narrow-minded bigotry.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it mean for the legislature to "recognize" a convention?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

That they get over themselves and their narrow-minded bigotry.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That they get over themselves and their narrow-minded bigotry.
You mean the legislators were at one time bigoted against the central south east PA needle threading competition for 14 to 16 1/2 year olds and that, in recognizing it, they have renounced that bigotry?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

It means they've recognized quite a few Christian conventions, and completely forgot that it would require them to recognize other religious conventions as well.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here it means they send a nice letter welcoming the convention-goers to the state and expressing the hope that they will enjoy their stay. For the really big conventions or those with some tie-in to government stuff (like the Retired Federal Employees Assciation) the representatives from the district the convention is in will send personal letters or staff members with greetings.

There isn't really any tangible benefit to the convention, but having the resolution proposed and rejected is certainly a non-welcoming statement.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a real answer to my question.

edit: Thanks, dkw.

[ June 19, 2008, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It means they've recognized quite a few Christian conventions, and completely forgot that it would require them to recognize other religious conventions as well.
Actually, it doesn't "require" them to recognize other religious conventions.

As despicable as I find the statements to be, the action of the house as a whole - refusing to invoke a rule meant for noncontroversial measures when there is, in fact some controversy - is not in violation of the first amendment. Nor is it a violation of the spirit of the first amendment. The alternative to the house action would be to ignore its pre-established rules regarding controversial measures.

Edit: A refusal to adopt the resolution after the normal rules for controversial acts are followed would be violative of the spirit of the first amendment, assuming Christian conventions have in fact been recognized in the recent past or future.

The reason for the controversy and the quoted comments themselves are certainly violative of the spirit of the first amendment, though.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I was looking over this again, and found a new thing to get upset about:
quote:
Invoking the memory of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Denlinger said the resolution should not have been promoted as noncontroversial under House rules.

"Certainly this nation went through an attack some years ago that is well-burned into the subconscious of our society," he said. "What I sense on our floor today is that, for some people, this evokes very strong passion and emotion."

While this could have multiple interpretations, the use to which it was put appears to me to strongly suggest that he was trying to say "Those people who don't see this as controversial don't really have strong emotions about the attacks of September 11th."

[ June 19, 2008, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
As despicable as I find the statements to be, the action of the house as a whole - refusing to invoke a rule meant for noncontroversial measures when there is, in fact some controversy - is not in violation of the first amendment. Nor is it a violation of the spirit of the first amendment. The alternative to the house action would be to ignore its pre-established rules regarding controversial measures.

Edit: A refusal to adopt the resolution after the normal rules for controversial acts are followed would be violative of the spirit of the first amendment, assuming Christian conventions have in fact been recognized in the recent past or future.

The reason for the controversy and the quoted comments themselves are certainly violative of the spirit of the first amendment, though.

This is a nice argument, but the PA legislators ignore their own rules all the time.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That still doesn't make this rise to the level of a first amendment violation.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that Rep. Metcalfe could benefit from a reading of Benjamin Franklin's autobiography:

(Describing the fundraising and construction of a public worship house in Philadelphia in 1739)

quote:
And it being found inconvenient to assemble in the open air, subject to its inclemencies, the building of a house to meet in was no sooner propos'd, and persons appointed to receive contributions, but sufficient sums were soon receiv'd to procure the ground and erect the building, which was one hundred feet long and seventy broad, about the size of Westminster Hall; and the work was carried on with such spirit as to be finished in a much shorter time than could have been expected.

Both house and ground were vested in trustees, expressly for the use of any preacher of any religious persuasion who might desire to say something to the people at Philadelphia; the design in building not being to accommodate any particular sect, but the inhabitants in general; so that even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach Mohammedanism to us, he would find a pulpit at his service. (emphasis added)

Might be a good time for one of the supporters to read this passage on the floor, with a brief overview of Franklin's views on religious tolerance.

PS - Squick, you mistyped "Muslims" in the thread title. You might want to fix it. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great excerpt.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,

I'm pretty sure the "requirement" Javert was talking about isn't a legal one, so much as a matter of propriety.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what else to add to this.
"TEAM AMERRRRRICAAAAA....."
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who read the "PA" in the title as "Palestinian Authority" and got really confused?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
PS - Squick, you mistyped "Muslims" in the thread title. You might want to fix it. [Smile]

Aren't Muslisms what Muslists believe in?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be Mulisms. Could be a new term for acts of legislative stubbornness. And if the legislature won't recognize its own Mulisms, well, that's just bad.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Am I the only one who read the "PA" in the title as "Palestinian Authority" and got really confused?

Probably.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
PA might not recognize them, but the add at the bottom is offering them up for marriage. I find that funny for some reason.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread title is misleading. The PA legislature as a whole does not seem to have a problem with recognizing Muslims. Rather, it seems that one particular lawmaker does, which has turned a noncontroversial topic into something controversial, and thus has delayed the recognition of the Muslim event. I would guess that, aside from that one lawmaker,most of the rest of the PA legislature would have no problem recognizing Muslims.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Dag,

I'm pretty sure the "requirement" Javert was talking about isn't a legal one, so much as a matter of propriety.

It's essentially the requirement that happens whenever the government messes with religion.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, under the first amendment the government must treat all religions equally. This leaves two options. The far easier one is to ignore all religions equally. The more difficult is to give every religion the attention they give to one or two.

Our government seems determined to try and do things the hard way.

[ June 20, 2008, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Javert ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Unless I'm horrible mistaken, under the first amendment the government must treat all religions equally.
It's incredibly doubtful that a successful first amendment case could be brought based on a systematic pattern of the legislature failing to recognize Muslim conventions while recognizing Christian conventions.

(Please note that I've already said this would be violative of the spirit of the First Amendment.)

quote:
This leaves two options. The far easier one is to ignore all religions equally. The more difficult is to give every religion the attention they give to one or two.
The problem is more convoluted than that. Recognizing secular but purely private conventions while refusing to recognize religious conventions is also violative of the spirit of the free exercise clause - the denial of a government "benefit" based on the exercise of religion or the type of message expressed at the convention.

My preference is to ban these types of resolutions entirely. If the government is unwilling to go that far, purely objective standards unrelated to the content of the convention should be used: size, license obtained, etc. Yes, that means the government might recognize a Klan convention. This is why I don't want it to recognize any of them.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Dags, how do you manage to make so much sense so much of the time?

I really appreciate your voice and point of view here.

Thanks.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read this threas title I keep imagining a PA lawmaker saying, "I'm sorry. Do I know you? Which one are you again? I don't recognize you with the head scarf and all."
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly my reaction, Kate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been resisting making a joke along those lines, kate.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Apparently, you are both better people than I am.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I keep trying to come up with examples of "Muslisms".
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how that politician's Jewish constituents feel about this, since apparently he won't be recognizing any of them, either...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Likely just a tad less irate than his Muslim constituents.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Do Jewish people all look alike, too?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The "Religion Test" ad at the bottom of the page took me to a "Pirate or Ninja" test. That's hilarious.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, Tante. I really appreciate that. [Smile]
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I just watched the episode of Family Guy last night where Lois wins the mayoral election by answering every question with "9/11."

"So what do you plan to do about our schools?"
"Nine eleven."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.