FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr. Who question (mayfly?)

Author Topic: Dr. Who question (mayfly?)
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I say mayfly because I know there are other threads concerning Dr. Who and I don't want to clutter up the board, but I do want to ask a quick question without having to wait for someone to check the bottom of an older thread.

Basically, I turned on Sci-Fi today, watched a few episodes, and was hooked. Now I want to watch them all, from the beginning. It seems like the kind of show that is ok with jumping in the middle, but is much better if taken from the beginning. So ... any suggestions as to where I can watch old episodes? I went to the Dr. Who website but they only offer series 4, and either I didn't understand how to access the archives or they weren't there. I also checked on iTunes, but no luck. So ... help?

(curses. I just realized I should probably not indulge myself until after the GRE ... eh, only 6 more days until I take it. I can be responsible until then ...)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
www.youtube.com
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess myself hooked after today's marathon as well. [Blushing] I'd seen series 1 and a fair bit of series 4, but the stuff in the middle was missing - and judging from the reports I've seen from later series 4 episodes this backstory might be a good thing to have under my belt. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Seasons 1-3 of the new version are on DVD and as such are available through Netflix and Amazon or any other DVD retailer. If you feel like an eyepatch and a parrot are necessary parts of your daily wardrobe, they are easily available at your favorite port of call.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking about previous seasons of the new Doctor Who, or the really, really old-school episodes? If I were you, I'd start with the new Who. And as Boris said, those episodes are easily available on DVD.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the BBC website only lets viewers in the UK to watch, and they only air the current week's episode, though they leave up stuff about the other eps longer.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm talking about the new ones. My roommate has Netflix. I might bribe him.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix has all of Series 1 on "Watch Instantly", and Series 1, 2, and 3 available for rental. You can get a 6 week free trial of Netflix.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
www.sidereel.com
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught a couple of episodes today today too. It seemed kinda weird. Odd plots with subpar effects. Are they going for a retro look with all of the robots? I liked the dialogue and the acting though.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
They're going for being amazing. I own every available season on DVD.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The budget in the first season was a lot smaller than their current budget (They weren't sure if the re-imagining would even work). The CG looks pretty good for the last 2 seasons.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Which robots? As a general rule, yeah, they're kinda retro, since they've been revived from the original series. The Daleks go back to the first (second?) serial, in the 60s. Same with the Autons (villains in the first episode). The new series is a mix of the traditional iconic baddies of the original series and newly-created monsters.

I still really love Daleks.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Daleks look so stupid and cheesy until you see them in action. Then they're scary.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. *checks over shoulder for Daleks*

I think the worst part is when you think they're going to die and they DON'T DIE.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually never found either the Daleks or the Cybermen particularly scary.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That isn't to say that I'm not kind of fond of both of them, though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I've actually never found either the Daleks or the Cybermen particularly scary.

***spoiler***

The ending of "Army of Ghosts" where the Cult of Skaro hovers out of the Void Ship...I still get shivers from it.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.