FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Editorial Cartoons as political Microscope

Author Topic: Editorial Cartoons as political Microscope
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to start a running discussion on political strategy of the two main US parties, as demonstrated by Political Cartoons.

I've been reading editorial cartoons recently.
Here is a dailly selection of cartoons that is both Left and Right as well as middle.

There is too much similarity in the subjects that are covered by each "side" for me to think that party "Talking Points" aren't sent out to the cartoonists as but one of the ways the parties try to sneak their messages out.

Recent messages I've seen repeated:

Right: Since Obama turned down Public Financing, he's a money man.
Ail prices will go down as soon as we are allowed to drill in Anwar and off the coast.
The Supreme Courts decision on GitMo detainees is unpatriotic.

Left: McCain = Bush
Drilling off the coast will cause environmental disasters from day 1.

None of these are true.

They are just talking points that will be repeated by everyone associated with that party as they try to frame the discussions.

Some of them, especially some of those I didn't mention, are just ridiculously absurd and funny to imagine anyone taking serious. Others are just sad for the same reason.

Basically, editorial cartoons are sound bites in picture form.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Political cartoons are useless from a philosophical argument stand point. Treat them as entertainment for the choir.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

Basically, editorial cartoons are sound bites in picture form.

Consider the format: One panel. Usually a tiny panel. They're about one dainty notch above "bumper sticker" in the depth possible per cartoon.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.