FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a reason why cell phones are turned off on a plane?

Author Topic: Is there a reason why cell phones are turned off on a plane?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
??

My friend tells me that they can tell if a cell phone is turned on, SO if i brought a phone onto a plane and threw it say into the toilet they won't take off and I successfully cause everyone else a mountain of frustration?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I'm always told is that the cell phone signals interfere with the plane navigation systems. I think that's about as realistic as microwave ovens turning on your TV at night, but I don't know about the design of these things. Maybe they do use a signal that is on a similar frequency to cell phones, but it would seem easier to build a way to use a different bandwidth than to install cell phone detectors onboard planes (another thing which I doubt).

The evidence for the claim that cell phones interfere with planes is about as anecdotal as the idea that childhood vaccines cause autism. But if you dare throw your cell phone in the toilet, other problems might be caused that could interfere with very different systems. [Wink]

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mythbusters determined that most cell phone signals in general use don't interfer with a plane's navigation systems. They also decided that there's a whole bunch of cell phone frequencies. So the FAA can run around like crazy trying to make sure all cell phones don't cause problems while listening to folks complain about the guy who didn't shut up the entire flight, or they can just ban them all to be on the safe side.

Like parents everywhere, the FAA just wants a little peace and quiet. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just cell phones, it's all electronic devices. Sure a few devices will probably do little to nothing in interfering with the planes electronics, but a plane full of passengers with 2-3 devices per person can cause a measurable disturbance.

In a related note I was flipping through fox news and the reporter must have had a cell phone turned on nearby as you could hear the interference through his microphone as the phone rang.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/30/nightmare-at-twenty-thousand-feet/
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a related note I was flipping through fox news and the reporter must have had a cell phone turned on nearby as you could hear the interference through his microphone as the phone rang.
If I have my headphones on I can hear my cellphone ring before it audibly rings. I'm psychic!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
If I have my headphones on I can hear my cellphone ring before it audibly rings. I'm psychic!
Yeah my computer speakers do the same thing if they are on.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our desktop monitor buzzes before my phone starts ringing or I get a text message if my phone is close to it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Mythbuster's also find a plane crash that was officially blamed on a cell phone call?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
So we go to all this trouble to ban food and beverages, toothpaste and shampoo from airplaines, and then let terrorists take on cell phones and ipods they could use to bring the whole plane down into a flaming twisted wreck of metal?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking into it more, it looks like the cell phone call and the crash are pretty circumstancial. Here's the wiki page on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossair_Flight_498

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the TSA does not confiscate cell phones leads me to think that the phones are considered enough of a problem that we're asked to turn them off, but not actually likely to pose much danger. If it causes some interference on the radio, it won't immediately cause the plane to crash. It might prompt a search of the cabin for the culprit, though.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I was chatting a pilot last time I was in the airport--and he said it other devices could cause some fuzz when using the radio--and that's just about it. No real problems otherwise. Though, considering the pilot is the primary navigation system in the plane, and his ability to communicate with the airport towers is pretty important, I'd say it's not entirely inaccurate that cell phones interfere with the plane's "navigation systems".
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago on a flight I had to put my backpack into the overhead because I ended up in a front-row seat and didn't have a seat in front of me to stow it under.

I'd forgotten that my cell phone was in there, so after the announcements started up I asked the flight attendant if it was a problem if I didn't turn it off. She told me not to worry about it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
More than you ever wanted to know about the issue of allowing cellular phones on aircraft.

Cell Phone Wiki

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just flew to Florida and back to Chicago, and on both legs, I forgot to turn off my phone. It was in my bag. And both times, when I got off the plane, it said I'd had a missed call (or several). I just hadn't heard it ring.

We didn't crash.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but what if you answered it? [Smile]
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, rubble, for the link. Hadn't thought to ask Prof. Wikipedia, but that clears up a lot.

The telling point the article makes is that's it's the FCC that bans the use of phones in flight outright, and it's only a reccomendation from the FAA. This leads to the conclusion (supported by rest of the article) that it's more a communications issue than a flight safety issue.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.