FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just don't like religion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: I just don't like religion
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the point serioudly
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent question. Let's all have a spirited debate on the subject, with much arguing and rebutting.

And if you're thinking of starting another thread, my I suggest as a title, "SEX!"

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I would start it but i'm scared. [Frown]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Excellent question. Let's all have a spirited debate on the subject, with much arguing and rebutting.

And if you're thinking of starting another thread, my I suggest as a title, "SEX!"

Hatrack has a red light district?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
T:man, your attempts to incite another legendary Hatrack religious debate crack me up! Nothing personal of course.

Perhaps if you want a spirited debate with witty logic and intense rebuttals, I suggest you starting us off. People aren't going to take "I just don't like religion" very "serioudly".

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Arguing and rebutting... That's your idea of foreplay?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Whats the point serioudly

One might ask the same thing of this thread. You clearly aren't looking for any sort of reasoned debate on the topic--if so, you might have taken the time to make a serious post. Instead, you've decided to give us one sentence, absent punctuation, and with one 'serioud' typo.

Look, the majority of the world is religious. Many people are extremely passionate about and defensive of their religions. Here on Hatrack, we have posters of all major religions, as well as other 'minor' religions (here, minor refers to # of adherents). Many of them take their religions very, very seriously.

Your post does not reflect any thought beyond the extremely superficial. You will understand how some might view your post as inconsiderate. Mostly because it is.

When you first started posting, I assumed you were someone's alt account, created for trolling purposes. You've done very little to convince me otherwise. I will, of course, give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're a real poster. A real poster with indescribably poor posting tendencies. Please, please, get your game together.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, when I grow up I want to be as cool as you.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

*dies laughing*
Let's not add another one of these threads to the forum, it's been rehashed way too many times.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i like Religion [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost afraid to ask what "rebutting" is in the context of foreplay... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I'm almost afraid to ask what "rebutting" is in the context of foreplay... [Wink]

When I first read his post (I skimmed the thread before my serioud read-through) that is exactly what popped into my head. "Rebutting? Oh, I wonder if he means... Or..." [Evil]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
quote:

*dies laughing*
Let's not add another one of these threads to the forum, it's been rehashed way too many times.

I have no idea what you speak of. *looks innocent*
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Serioudly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Religion gives many people comfort, fulfillment, and happiness.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:

So does chocolate, but you don't see nearly as many arguments about that.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
The office of the Surgeon General just released a new report detailing the dangers of a diet high in chocolate. Among the most compelling arguments against overconsumption of chocolate is the following:

quote:
I just don't like chocolate. Whats the point serioudly

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The point is simple: The personal recognition that there is the divine and that you want to interact with that divine. If you mean religion (an organization) rather than spirituality, then the answer can depend on the religious organization. The answer can also depend on why a person continues to remain part of a religious organization.

Can it be for comfort? You bet! Having a spiritual life can be very rewarding just as having close family, friends, or falling in love can be. And, just like the above, it can be hard work to maintain a closeness to the spiritual; especially when everyone around you is trying to change you in very unpleasant ways. A shared understanding and support of the spiritual is one reason for religion.

Seriously.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by luthe:
quote:

Oh I don't know about that. Until everyone realizes that it just doesn't get better than dark chocolate, and even then it must be consumed sparingly, I don't think we will see an end to serioud conflict.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently realized that I am an atheist. I quit my temple. But I still have a deep respect and interest in religion. So many people find comfort in it, and it has been a part of humany for thousands of years.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate is ridiculously over-rated. Of all the tasty dessert flavors, I think of fruits, cinnamon, vanilla, spices, butter--all before chocolate. Best dessert: Apple Crisp, with a good amount of oatmeal in the brown sugar mix.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my faith. Prepare to die!

I'm going to cry now, because after realizing that you don't like religion, I started to question my beliefs. As a result I no longer believe in god. Thank you for showing me the light.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I like religion just fine. I mean, as long as it's everyone's choice. Hooray religion! Except for scientology. Scientology can die on fire. Hooray fire!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hating on scientology? Oh how original. [Roll Eyes]

IT'S NOT SO BAD IF YOU JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Thank you, if this thread is stupid stop posting in it serioudly
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...21 percent of...atheists...believe in God...with 8 percent absolutely certain of it."

"I have recently realized that I am an atheist. I quit my temple."

Why? "...more than one in four Roman Catholics, mainline Protestants, and Orthodox Christians expressed some doubts about God's existence, as did six in ten Jews..."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like some people have a pretty liberal definition of atheism.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
21 percent of people who don't believe the world is flat actually believe the world is flat.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:

Oh I don't know about that. Until everyone realizes that it just doesn't get better than dark chocolate, and even then it must be consumed sparingly, I don't think we will see an end to serioud conflict.
You and I need to start a cleansing - a cocoa-crusade, if you will. We can figure out a name that doesn't sound like a breakfast cereal later. There is important work to be done in the meantime. These heathens must be shown the light...err...dark.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I'm athiest we don't believe in god, Agnostics believe in god. They just aren't sure which religion is right about him.
Threads
Member # 10863

T:man, agnostics are undecided about their belief/disbelief in god (though they may lean towards one side).
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Whatever [Taunt]
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
You know.... I have a brother that says "whatever" and walks away when someone has just pointed out a mistake he made.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Does he do this *runs away unlocks bike and rides 20 miles away*
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The point of religion is to help us understand the world, our role in it, and how we should act within it. It provides a framework within which the rest of one's life can be understood. Many people get this framework directly from religion by actively choosing to follow a religion. Some others get such a framework indirectly from religion, if they follow no particular religion but nevertheless accept a system of beliefs and values that originated in one or more religions. In either case, I think religion serves an important role of some sort.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys! This is super duper serial!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
]Arguing and rebutting... That's your idea of foreplay? [/QB]

And when is it not?
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolve you all.

*flies to the moon in a rocket of flaming cheese*

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Does he do this *runs away unlocks bike and rides 20 miles away*

He actually did do that once. Then he got yelled at because he didn't wear a helmet.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You and I need to start a cleansing - a cocoa-crusade, if you will. We can figure out a name that doesn't sound like a breakfast cereal later. There is important work to be done in the meantime. These heathens must be shown the light...err...dark.
If I tell you in all honesty that I have at this moment a 99% chocolate bar in my fridge, will this information absolve me for the upcoming cleansing?
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Eww, that stuff is its own punishment.

EDIT - teh grammars!

[ June 24, 2008, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If I tell you in all honesty that I have at this moment a 99% chocolate bar in my fridge, will this information absolve me for the upcoming cleansing?
Nope, but if you melt it down and spread it on the two posts and lintel of your front door perhaps you will be spared.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
*goes to find some suitable kitchen apparel and a brush*

[ June 24, 2008, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo St. Elmo ]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some suitable kitchen apparel and a brush
What like some boxers and a snorkel?
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*spreads chocolate on the two posts preceding hers instead*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
21 percent of people who don't believe the world is flat actually believe the world is flat.

Don't be silly, North Dakota doesn't have THAT many people!
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Well... only if it was a lucky, glow-in-the-dark, autographed snorkel.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want chocolate.

Someone will pay for this (probably me, as I get some truffles from downstairs).

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an ath-eatist.

I don't believe in Chocolate.

(However, I will join the crusade to eradicate those who worship the taint and blasphemy called White Chocolate)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
(However, I will join the crusade to eradicate those who worship the taint and blasphemy called White Chocolate)

Sign me up!
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.