FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome, Jonathan S!

Author Topic: Welcome, Jonathan S!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
An intelligent and articulate newbie! We can always use more of those, even if I am going to get confused every time you and Jonathan Howard post in close proximity. [Wink]

Welcome to Hatrack! Tell us about yourself. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded! I saw your introductory post in the silly "religious debate" thread, and thought you looked like a great addition to the forum. Welcome!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:eats the n00b:

Yeah, yeah. Welcome, whatever. Next time, bring salt.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
An intelligent and articulate newbie! We can always use more of those, even if I am going to get confused every time you and Jonathan Howard post in close proximity. [Wink]

Welcome to Hatrack! Tell us about yourself. [Smile]

*skeptical*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What else is new? You're always skeptical.

Be nice, or you'll scare off the newbie. And then what will Scott have for dinner?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm the nice one. Welcome aboard.
[Wave]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate to rob Scott of a nice meal. [Smile]

Welcome!

Edit to add: I just read your posts in the religion thread and I agree with rivka. You'll fit in quite well.

[ June 26, 2008, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I always hate to rob Scott of a nice meal. [Smile]

Yeah, most of his vittles are right little brats.
Jonathan S
Member # 11661

- posted      Profile for Jonathan S   Email Jonathan S         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the welcome thread, and for your kind words!

A few things about me...I'm a trumpet player majoring in music education. I grew up in Georgia. I still live here in the summer, and in Alabama for school the rest of the year. I'm 22. I enjoy video games (I have newer systems, but I've been playing a lot of Nintendo 64 lately). I enjoy the Harry Potter series, and Star Wars. I'm also a fan of drum corps (my favorite nowadays is Phantom Regiment, though I love classic Madison Scouts and support them).

I started reading Mr. Card's works when I was in 11th grade, I believe. A friend introduced me to Ender's Game, and another friend offered me the sequels once he saw I was reading it. After the Ender quartet, I couldn't get enough. I finished Shadow of the Hegemon about the time Shadow Puppets was released in paperback, and I've been keeping up with the Ender books since. I've read several of his non-Ender works, as well. My favorites of those are The Worthing Saga and Enchantment.

I also plan to attend the booksigning in Greensboro next month. This is the first time since I've been reading OSC's works that I've had the time and money to go to one, and I'm quite excited.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Another music major! We'll take over the forum someday. Scott and Kristine Card are very cool people to meet and chat with--he writes cool notes in your books and his signature is *huge*.

Your e-mail address....JediHobbit...is brilliant.

Welcome to the forum, and practice beating a 4/4-pattern in your right hand while beating a 3/4 in your left...while marching...and singing ear training intervals on command. (I was also was music ed--now a piano technician)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S:
I also plan to attend the booksigning in Greensboro next month. This is the first time since I've been reading OSC's works that I've had the time and money to go to one, and I'm quite excited.

OSC booksignings are a lot of fun, and he and Kristine are wonderful. [Smile]
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
*still skeptical*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Drum Corps! W00t!

I love them. I watch them every year when they travel through here (Kansas) and delight us with a performance. And I watch the DCI championships on TV. It is awesome.

(I thought the Santa Clara Vanguard absolutely rocked the house this past year)

Why are you a fan? Did you use to play in a Corps? Or just a "wish I had" like me? [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Greensboro, you say... interesting... Apparently it's just over an hour from where I live, so I might have to go as well. [Smile]

Welcome! Enjoy your time here!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out and made the Drum Corp team that was in Tulsa for awhile (Black Gold D&B Corp), but could not come up with the money. I joined the Army instead.

I still got to march all summer.

Welcome.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
"in the silly "religious debate" thread"
Silly they call it, thy always call visionaries silly! On a more serioud note welcome Jonathan thanks for adding to the T:man's glory by posting in my thread!
edit: oops wrong quote

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Y HALO THAR MAH NAYM IZ T:MAN
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
It's always nice to see an intelligent, friendly user here! Welcome Jonathan S!
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan S
Member # 11661

- posted      Profile for Jonathan S   Email Jonathan S         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed by how active this forum is...usually I can go a few days without checking other forums, but that's not the case here.

Regarding drum corps...I learned what it was through a friend of mine in high school when he marched Spirit. I tried out for Spirit back in 2002, but I was unable to march due to back problems. I do fine during regular marching band season, but corps would probably be too demanding (I have rods in my back as a result of corrective surgery for scoliosis).

Since Spirit is based at my college (JSU), or was until recently, I've had many opportunities to watch them rehearse, and there's always a drum corps show in Jacksonville. The big Atlanta show is close for me, too, and I've been to it a few times.

I march in the fall with the Marching Southerners (mellophone), which is enough for me. [Smile]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What's funny, Jonathan, is that this is probably the slowest I can remember Hatrack being.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost went to JSU, but the drive time was just enough longer than UAB's that I chose to go there instead. My daughter wants very badly to go to JSU and try out for color guard there.

Welcome to the forum! I live in Alabama, and if you're at school at JSU, I'm probably the closest Hatracker to your location when you're in school. I can get to JSU in 45 minutes.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathon. See you around.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
What's funny, Jonathan, is that this is probably the slowest I can remember Hatrack being.

That's what everybody always says, though.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from the length at which two and three day old threads stay on the front page, and what seems to be a general malaise on the board, I'm inclined to agree with Noemon. Plus there's more talk now than I've ever seen before about a general slow down, but from what I understand, it comes in waves, so I expect this place will pick back up again.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nah, what people always say is that the forum isn't as good as it used to be.

Part of it is the season--the forum is always slower in the summer. As Lyrhawn says, though, the length of time threads are staying on the front page is unprecedented.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.