FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm back from tour

Author Topic: I'm back from tour
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... back home at last from choir tour along the East Coast. Vanguard Voices flew into Washington and then bused down to Wilmington NC...seven hours... with nothing but 7 hours of CNN on the tv screens... ugh... I never want to watch CNN again... then only a half hour to drop our things off and rehears with the orchestra for three hours.

Then wine, beer, and pizza with some of the others in the hotel lobby. [Smile]

Missed touring the city & beach the next day but had some awesome sushi and got to know some of the singers I hardly talk to better.
Dress rehearsal was good...but the sound in the auditorium was horrible... was not built for concerts... but I guess there was no chaning it at this point. So we planed a new standing arrangement with the whole choir strung out in a single arched line around the stage... seemed to really help the sound down in the seats. Of course we'd never sung the Bach's Mass in B Minor this way before, and only had a half our to practice after the change was made, but it that hard at all.

That night me and seven others PARTIED like college kids in the historic downtown area. WOW. So much fun. I really got to know my new good friends Richard and Christine well that night. Downtown Wilmington feels like Ann Arbor, seat of UofM, and I was really pleased at how diverse the kids were... black and white dancing together. That's what America should be everywhere.

The next day was the concert. Richard had the bass solos and both of us were suffering from minor allergies (of course the long night of dancing and singing didn't help much heheheh) and our voices were a little froggy.

Oh this is a good place to say there were only TWO First Tenors, me and my comrade Paul, with a total of five in the section, against 40 others plus the symphony. Good thing we're tenors and know how to become Wall-of-Sound when needed... but still... our scouts in the audience said it was hard to hear the tenor section at times. Oh well. We still rocked.

Concert was great and then end where the First Tenors have a little solo my voice had warmed up properly and we rocked.
[Smile]

After we had a group dinner and then went drunken bowling with Richard, Christine, the Director and his fiance, and a few others. SO FUNNY! Lol! At least I held my own in the score... Christine blew us all out of the water. And it was fun to see our Director all silly.

The next day we bused all day to Williamsburg, no CNN this time, we figured out how to play movies and change the channel. Christine, Richard, and I all checked out the historic district for a couple hours and I almost caught this huge frog.

Next day was free for Vanguard Voices to wander about...so the three of us hit town early and did wine and cheese and talked for hours... then some more wandering around. We all shared our lives and all our drama and angst and dreams. We all totally bonded that day and I'm very happy to have made some really cool new friends. We walked back and Richard had a few bottles of wine and we partied in our room with Christine...and they got a bit more friendly with each other... hehehe.

Next day we performed at the historic church and hit the bus again for DC. And it was time for goodbye's because Christine was just along for half the trip, mostly for the Mass in B Minor stuff, as she was brought on board at the last moment as we were short First Sopranos. She didn't know she'd have such a good time or she would've gotten more time off work. Sadness... but we had made arrangements for the three of us to hang out at my pad for fireworks the following week and then at her place for fireworks the week after. [Smile] So we knew we'd be seeing each other again soon.

Washington DC... is/was... flipping... awesome!

Was my first time there (had a choice in high school to do DC or Europe...guess what happened) and was blown away by the splendor of the city. Richard and I partied every night, hitting the streets to find what the night life was like and had the time of our lives (that's another story). During the day I wandered the core area of the National Mall and checked out the government buildings, monuments, and Arlington... and was moved to tears many times.

Our last night we performed at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Jefferson, and Lincoln Memorials. After was a group dinner at a fancy restaurant and then hung out with a bunch of choristers in the hotel till late.

Flight back to Detroit was a bit uncomfortable, with a three hour delayed flight and screaming babies, but made it safe and sound.

[Smile]
Ahh... it's nice to have internet again.
[Big Grin]

[ June 29, 2008, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds like you had a heck of a time.

I'm glad you had such a good time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks bro.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I thought I posted in here. Guess not.

Sounds like you all had a great time. Let me know if you ever come to France. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise Spain. [Wink]

Sounds like you had a great time. I must say of all the US cities I've visited, Washington had the best fun factor.

Welcome back.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.