FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » War with Iran? President Bush and "significant escalation"

Author Topic: War with Iran? President Bush and "significant escalation"
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The New Yorker has an article by Seymour Hersh detailing the covert operations put in place by the Bush Administration inside Iran to attempt to destablize their government by supporting what our own State Department calls terrorist groups.

It's a fascinating article that goes further in depth beyond just what we're doing in Iran, it also details attempts by this Administration to silence critics, and about Pentagon reservations over the plan. It's an interesting look at the strained relationship between the White House and the Pentagon and how we got to where we are.

The Bush Administration is denying that any action is being taken against Iran from any US forces. Generally I like to believe spokespeople from the government when they give unequivical denials of things, but this particular Administration has lost its credibility in that area. Plus, this just happens to have the feel of truth. It just sounds EXACTLY like what this Administration would do.

I'm wondering what'll happen if and when McCain and Obama talk about this. I'm sure McCain would love to get the debate back to security matters where he does better, but Obama, unlike Kerry and many other Democrats, hasn't been afraid in the past to mix it up on security matters. This'll get interesting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, this just happens to have the feel of truth. It just sounds EXACTLY like what this Administration would do.
Truthiness is not generally considered a good argument, I note.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The Bush Administration is denying that any action is being taken against Iran from any US forces. Generally I like to believe spokespeople from the government when they give unequivical denials of things, but this particular Administration has lost its credibility in that area. Plus, this just happens to have the feel of truth. It just sounds EXACTLY like what this Administration would do.

Where is the denial made? I didn't see it in the article.

From what I can tell from the article, the President signed a Finding which would provide material aid to destabilizing elements (what we call terrorist groups when their actions are taken against us or our allies) within Iran. Additionally, CIA personnel are tasked with intelligence gathering within the country, possibly with an authorization to employ force defensively. There is an allegation that, external to the Finding, the President has directed clandestine elements from the military to engage within Iran, presumably in support of the groups receiving aid.

Overall, there's not much there, there. Much of the article is supposition and assertions based on other activities. I would expect more outcry from the Congressional oversight committee if there were any real concern (instead of the somewhat tepid partisan outrage registered in the article). The military objections (coming via Adm. Fallon) are less strategic than concerned with internal policy.

I think the premise of the Finding is a good one, although I think it would be better to focus funding less on militant ethnic organizations and more on the Free Speech student population; I see them as being better long term allies.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN article that talks more broadly about the Hersh story and Administration responses.

The article talks specifically about appropriating funds for special operations in Iran. I agree that the youth of the country looks like better, more natural allies, and I think you support them from the sidelines and use diplomatic engagement to set the agenda and make progress.

The type of operations alleged in the article are exactly the type to unify moderate elements in Iran with the hardliners. It's irresponsible.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's true, it's pretty scary. "Oh, and by the way, we instigated a snowballing conflict with Iran on our way out. Byeee...."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.