FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What did Hitler have against the Slavs?

Author Topic: What did Hitler have against the Slavs?
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading up on WW2 recently, and does it seem weird to anyone else that Hitler's flawed idea of racial purity did not include the Slavic people? He refered to them as being inferior but they possess the same traits that "Aryans" look up to: fair skin, blond hair, blue eyes.

Can anyone explain Hitler's reasoning for considering the Slavs as being racially inferior? Clearly, the obvious answer is Hitler is an idiot going off flawed eugenic and racial theories, or also that at the time the Slavs were all mainly Communists under the Soivet banner, which Hitler also dispised, so he used the "inferior" label as a propoganda tool (as he did with any other ethnicity or race he dubbed inferior), but I was just curious if anyone else could shed light on some theories I haven't considered.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Slavs often have that slightly Asian-looking epicanthal fold, don'tcha know.

Really? I don't know that much real thinking went on other than coming up with ways to justify genocide against traditionally despised or different groups. The Slavs were not German, so...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Having the "Aryan look" could be taken as a sign that your race had interbred with Aryans in the past, which was even worse than being purely of an inferior race - Hitler was even more down on miscegenation than on other races. It's a bit difficult to make sense of this, the theory isn't all that coherent, but apparently he believed that hybrids were bound to get the worst traits of both sides. So the hierarchy would be

Pure Aryan > Pure Other > Mixed Aryan and Other

But really, it all comes down to the Lebensraum and needing some targets.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
So I, with my German-derived last name, brown eyes, brown hair, and vaguely Asian features, would have been an abomination to Hitler, eh? Interesting. I can see where that follows logically from the belief in a master race, I suppose.

Except Hitler definitely got it wrong about the hybrids getting the worst traits. [Wink]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, you post on Hatrack, don't you? That's gotta be a worst trait of something. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Russians are Slavic.

Russians were big enemies of the Nazi's, fighting them in the Spanish Civil War just previous to WWII (most consider that a Communist VS Fascist war.)

They were also more rural than the German people, and both were competing for the same lands.

So when the Nazi's started their invasions of places that had Slavic groups--Austria, ChecoSLAVakia, etc, they did the usual propagandist maneuver of calling them un-human.

As the Soviets began fighting back, and turned as viscous as the Nazi's they were fighting, the Nazi's began really getting angry at the Slav's.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
They also practised the filthy habits of pluralising with apostrophes and confusing 'vicious' (cruel, brutal, ferocious) with 'viscous' (thick, slow-flowing).
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalplan_Ost
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

So *that's* where the term "grammar Nazi" came from!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you call someone a grammar Nazi, do you lose the argument?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Not if the other guy has already - by implication - called you a grammar Untermensch. [Razz]
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm understanding Godwin's Law correctly, likening the opponent to Hitler/nazis doesn't mean you LOSE the argument, it just means that you have nothing further of value to ADD to the argument.

It just happens that, once you admit that you've played all of your cards, the opposition will generally trounce you.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

It's my understanding that it means you lose the argument because if you're resorting to that one, you don't have any good ones.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ok. Firstly, Godwin's law as originally stated just says that if a thread goes on long enough, someone will bring out the Nazis. Secondly, when my atheist storm troopers finally subdue the last remaining guerrilla opposition in the Rockies and return to the shattered cities to drag the enslaved theists off to re-education camps, their belt buckles will be emblazoned "Godwin mit uns", in tribute to the guy who made it impossible to warn anyone of what was coming.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think whatever state he had his greedy eyes on conveniently had an inferior population.
And whatever state had a good pouplation, well, then they needed to be part of the Third Empire as well!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if there ever was a Xenophobe is was Hitler. In short, his position can be summed up as 'anyone who is not me, is bad'. Slav's aren't German, so automatically they are bad.

True the Jews were different, even if they were German Jews. But I could never understand histories continued rejection of the Jews. It seem a rejection of the idea that anyone who works hard, has a strong sense of community, and is successful is automatically inferior.

In the far east, out side of China, the Chinese are the Jew, despised for their hard work and success.

Back to the Slavs, as I implied, I don't think Hitler really had anything against them, other they the fact that they weren't Germans. He didn't want them, but he did want their land for the New Great German Empire.

One could just as easily ask what Hitler had against the Polish people? Well, again nothing other than the fact that he was delusional and they weren't German.

Regarding the Arian-look, Hitler was the least Arian looking person I have every seen from the Western Hemisphere. Again, irrational and delusional.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

[ July 09, 2008, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: BlueWizard ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The movie/dramatized autobiography "Hitler: Rise of Evil" I think is one of the best movies that attempted to peer inside his mind.

However I would like to correct something the Nazi's didn't particularly hate those who were different but rather who were A) enemies of the state, and b) felt were inferior and taking up good space.

for example, the germans seemed to have put alot of effort into picking and choosing which ethnic groups were "ayrian" and who weren't. The Japanese for example were seen as "Ayrian".

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.