FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warner Brothers realizes it owns super-heroes besides Batman and Superman.

Author Topic: Warner Brothers realizes it owns super-heroes besides Batman and Superman.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time.

Seriously. Wonder Woman. The Flash. Green Lantern. Even more obscure characters like Starman have great potential. Marvel Studios' ambitious attempt to create an interconnected cinematic super-hero universe has been a success, so far. It'd be cool if The Dark Knight eventually lead to a Justice League movie.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the tv cartoon version of the Teen Titans, but I wouldn't be interested in anything based on the frankly icky source material.

Justice League never did anything for me because a) Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl never did anything interesting b) I can watch Batman and Superman be awesome on their own shows and c) Martian Manhunter's shorts were distractingly ridiculous. I don't care what superpowers you have, you look like a tool.

Unfortunately, that's about all the input I can offer. I like DC's tv shows, but my friends who talk comics all read Marvel and Dark Horse lines.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So, your basic response is: DC Comics movies will suck because you only like their TV shows and don't read their comics? [Wink]

(I kid, I kid.)

Hawkgirl punched out Cthulhu on Justice League Unlimited. What's boring about that? [Big Grin]

The Teen Titans cartoon was based very loosely on the Marv Wolfman/George Perez comic run during the 1980s. Other than Slade's relationship with Terra and the writer marrying Wonder Girl off to a blatant Gary Stu, what struck you as "icky"? [Smile]

Edit to add: But seriously, I think Hawkgirl's series spanning arc of betrayal, star-crossed relationships, and eventual redemption was far more interesting than anything Shayera did in the comics. I agree on Wonder Woman, as the only truly interesting thing they did with her (other than some cool fights) was pair her up with Batman.

And to explain my Wonder Girl reference (as she didn't make it into the animated TT series) here's all you'd ever want to know about her creepy husband from the 1980s. (language advisory)

*shudder* Terry Long...the bane of many of Titans fan, before current writer Judd Winnick took his place.

[ July 14, 2008, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was saying they'd have to do an awful lot to convince me a Justice League movie was worth my time since the cartoon was lame. But I'd be all over a Teen Titans cartoon - with the caveat.

What was icky? Starfire's outfit for one. Raven mindraping her to bring back a dead character for another. Just scanning the Wiki article was enough for me to write it off as mysogonistic crap. Maybe the series was really better than that, but again, they'd have to do some serious convincing to get me to buy it.

Hawkgirl's story does sound cool. I just don't remember seeing any of that on the few episodes of the cartoon that I watched.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm still wondering why you assume a Teen Titans movie would draw on the worst elements of the comic rather than the best, like the animated series did? [Smile]

Just distrust live action more?

The early 80s Titans comic wasn't quite what the wiki article describes it as. As with most wikipedia comics articles, a lot of the stories get garbled, jumbled, and warped. That said, the characters of the comic were also quite a bit older and darker than their animated counterparts. It was aimed more at the high school/college set who found edgier super-hero teams with massive casts and intensive continuity to be nifty.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

I distrust the movie mentality more. If the studio sinks a bunch of money into a movie, it has to get a lot of people into the theater to turn a profit. In the studio's mind, that means playing to the lowest denominator.

I would expect to see Starfire in a skimpy outfit (though probably not as horrendous as the thong with extensions monstrosity she wears), I would expect a sex scene, I would expect a wild party with a lot of drinking and carrying on. I'd also expect one of the more over the top villains to show up. The brain in the jar or something.

I liked them against the twins, Thunder and Lightning, or infiltrating the Hive, or Kid Flash convincing Jinx not to be a bad guy. And Robin as Red X and Terra as Slade's apprentice were my two favorite arcs (since Slade was kept strictly in a paternal/mentor role and not anything creepy).

I think a Teen Titans movie should be easy to do well, but it would need someone with a light touch to keep it out of the traditional superhero gutter.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I was saying they'd have to do an awful lot to convince me a Justice League movie was worth my time since the cartoon was lame. But I'd be all over a Teen Titans cartoon - with the caveat.

What was icky? Starfire's outfit for one. Raven mindraping her to bring back a dead character for another. Just scanning the Wiki article was enough for me to write it off as mysogonistic crap. Maybe the series was really better than that, but again, they'd have to do some serious convincing to get me to buy it.

Hawkgirl's story does sound cool. I just don't remember seeing any of that on the few episodes of the cartoon that I watched.

Dood, you haven't even read the actually comic! It's actually quite good, especially when you read it outloud and do all of the voices.
At least read this graphic novel they have that was excellent... You can't tell if the soup is salty unless you taste it dood!

Also, I must add that Raven is my favourate character in NTT. She's awesome! She's all troubled and sad and stuff and she talks all proper and funny.
I love her!
At least read the comic they did about drugs and how people shouldn't take them. You can't even see Starfire's busomry in it, which might have been disapointing for teenage boys.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's awesome! She's all troubled and sad and stuff and she talks all proper and funny.

I don't think Raven can accurately be described as "sad," at least not in the TV show.

She always struck me as repressed, not sad.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Syn is referring to the original comic book version of Raven, who was the original Miss Mopey. AnimatedRaven is more deadpan sarcastic and stern a character, in part because her powers are vastly expanded and amplified in the animated version...moodiness would be a very bad thing. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Raven had to suppress most of her emotions in the comic because her dad was TRIGON THE TERRIBLE.

I wouldn't mind watching the show because all the superdeforming makes me giggle so much, but the comic had its share of decent angst and drama.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a page you have to scroll a third of the way down to get to the article. What bright mind came up with that layout?

I'm still wondeing what Whedon could have done with Wonder Woman. (sigh)

It sounds like someone took a look at Marvel and said, "@%#$, they're making a lot of money." I hope they actually said "If we put enough time and effort to make scripts as good as Iron Man, if we recognize that 'comic book' movies have audiences far beyond the teenage market, we can have a similar level of success" and not "Look, even Hulk did $224 million worldwide despite mixed reviews, let's exploit those recognizable characters"

(Perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical. The Dark Knight certainly doesn't seem to have been developed with teenagers primarily in mind.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Poor Raven had to suppress most of her emotions in the comic because her dad was TRIGON THE TERRIBLE.

Except for the emo-whiny ones, which she never stopped emoting. [Wink]

(Yeah, having evil ingrained into her very genetic makeup sucked.)

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i never really liked Superman, so anything with him in it is a bust for me. he is just way too powerful. a JL movie... im not even sure i would watch it for free online. the new batman movie on the other hand.. i bought four tickets to see it on the IMAX last week and cant wait until this friday.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you're waiting all the way until Friday? I'm so sorry for you. [Big Grin]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i saw that and wasnt fast enough... and i hate you for making me think you have tickets to that. even the midnight and 3am show were sold out already when i bought my tickets monday of last week. thats aweome if you get to see it tomorrow/today. im up way too late.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Funny how folks are different. I adore Superman (well, not into the whole 90s comic arc, but the tv and movie versions) and soemwhat dislike Batman; gadgets just don't do it for me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I will believe that DC will make a non-Batman/Superman movie when I see it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
i never really liked Superman, so anything with him in it is a bust for me. he is just way too powerful.

Depending on the writer, Batman was the undisputed chessmaster who could predict anything and everything that could happen.

So, really, it depends on the writer, whether any one character overshadows the rest.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
yeah i saw that and wasnt fast enough... and i hate you for making me think you have tickets to that. even the midnight and 3am show were sold out already when i bought my tickets monday of last week. thats aweome if you get to see it tomorrow/today. im up way too late.

I bask in your hatred. ElJay's going too, you can hate her just as much. Expect maniacal laughter at some point tonight when I return!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.