FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPhone 3G

Author Topic: iPhone 3G
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else rush out and get this phone? I did. I got it on Friday. I'm ashamed to admit that I waited 9 hours for it. Both my wife and I got one. So far, it's a really cool phone.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy with my iPhone 1.0 for now. I think may wait until the next generation to consider upgrading.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I love mine. But I only had to wait an hour to get it. [Razz]

There were two cingular stores and one Apple store all within one very small area. The Apple store was a mad house. One of the cingular stores was jam packed. And the other had almost no one in line. Showed up at 7:45 with the intent of just leaving if the lines were too long. Was out the door with the phone by 8:45.

Check out my apps thread!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really excited about it until I heard about the new plastic back. I saw some pictures of one covered in greasy fingerprints left over from the activation and it was disgusting. I know I could buy a case like I have for my regular ipod, but I keep hoping that Apple will wise up and start using stronger, cleaner-looking materials. I know...silly dreams.

But the new price is tempting. I'm thinking I'll wait until the new year. Enjoy though and let us know what you think!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Fingerprint magnet plastic back, slightly larger, an extra $10 a month for the data plan which more than eats up the discounted price by the end of the two year contract, and (apparently) a lower quality display.

Faster data would be nice, but I'm usually near wifi and edge data rates are reasonable for most usages. The only other plus is GPS, but the cell tower triangulation feature on the 1st gen phone works really well for me.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
there are a few things i'm disappointed about with the release; lack of a higher resolution camera, still no flash, and no video recording capabilities are my biggies. Also, I wish it had full fledged GPS instead of assisted GPS(though it's still infinitely better than my previous no GPS).

Other than that though, I look at it as a sleaker iPhone, with a few more features and a much better price. And the load time for webpages and the like is significantly faster on the 3G network. We did trials with friends who had the old phone. I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

It is not a much better price. It used to be $400. Now it's $200 + $10 more/month for 24 months. You actually pay more in the end, but it's split up over time for you.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a much better price for people with even moderate discounting of the future, and there is substantial evidence most people do [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Now it's $200 + $10 more/month for 24 months. You actually pay more in the end, but it's split up over time for you.

That may be an issue if you were not paying the additional $10 for an improved service as well, a significantly improved service IMO.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Now it's $200 + $10 more/month for 24 months. You actually pay more in the end, but it's split up over time for you.

That may be an issue if you were not paying the additional $10 for an improved service as well, a significantly improved service IMO.
I'm not arguing that it's not faster or that the extra cost may not be justified. I'm just pointing out that it's not cheaper.
brojack17
Member # 9189

It was for me. My Blackjack data plan was $45/month, so that went down. Even upgrading my wife's iPhone 1.0, I'm still saving $5/month overall.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

So far so good. I got the phone on Friday and had to rush out to a friends house for dinner (I was late because of the line). Saturday I was on the road all day and did not get to play with it, I did listen to a Harry Potter book on it, that was nice.

I played with it Sunday and Monday. I've downloaded a few apps. I really like it. The speed is as fast as my Blackjack and the web interface is nice. I really like the touch screen.

I don't type as fast as I did on the Blackjack but I'm sure I just need to get used to the keypad. I wish it were landscape.

I don't like that Apple STILL does not support A2DP. I have two sets of wireless headphones but can not use them without a dongle. That's annoying.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I also went to our local AT&T store in our small 'burb. We arrived about 6am opening day and were 8th in line. Unfortunately, they were out of black 16gb iPhones, so we both got white ones.

brojack: you will get much faster at typing on the iPhone. Most of the time, the corrective typing works great! It's only when you're typing strange acronyms or esoteric words that you need to slow down.

The lack of support for bluetooth stereo headsets sucks, for sure.

I'm pleased with the added features, increased internet speed, and the louder speakerphone/ringer is HUGELY appreciated.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.