FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thinking of buying a PSP.

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a PSP.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather buy the 2000 since I could use Skype, but I've heard some accessories won't work. I'm not really interested in movies (who wants to buy the same film twice?); just games, internet, HB, and Skype.

Is there anything I should look out for? Will I have to buy accessories (cards?) to get it to work properly? Will WiFi work?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Skype rocks! Although I don't know about it working on a PSP....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Star Wars edition PSP. Wireless works great, either through a TMobile hotspot or normal wireless. Mine came with Renegade Squadron and I picked up FF1.

No accesories needed other than a decent sized memory stick (I have a 2Gb).

Been meaning to get God of War and Crisis Core, but just can't get around to it. Also Resistance is coming to the PSP and it looks way nice.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Have you modded yours at all? I know people who have, but I would be very careful if I did it.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

No. When I got it, I didn't know that was even possible. I've upgraded the firmware since, and downgrading it a nuisance.

I'm always fearful of instructions that include a line that essentially says "do this or else you'll wind up with a $200 brick."

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Heh. It seems that Sony has, ah, "patched away" that ability in the recent firmware updates.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

You basically need to start with a fresh PSP, most probably an old series v2 PSP. And you can *NEVER* upgrade it with Sony firmware or you'll never be able to customize it again; you must always used custom firmware.

And since games are now checking the installed version, the firmware has to remain constantly up to date. The people making the custom firmwares can't keep up with new game releases.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I wonder why, if these mods are so great, why Sony doesn't included some of their ideas/innovations in their new releases of firmware. You would think that increased options and functionality would only help their sales....both of the PSP's and of the software itself.

[ July 21, 2008, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I'm not really interested in movies (who wants to buy the same film twice?)

It's my understanding that it isn't really that hard to convert movies to the appropriate format and just play them off the memory stick.

(But It Would Be Wrong.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I'm not really interested in movies (who wants to buy the same film twice?)

It's my understanding that it isn't really that hard to convert movies to the appropriate format and just play them off the memory stick.

(But It Would Be Wrong.)

Actually, it's quite easy. There's a program that does it and it's shareware, I believe. I don't have the name for it right now.

I do it all the time. It's a slow as hell process - might take two or more hours to convert one movie on my machine - but the end result is a watchable movie.

I do it quite often because my laptop no longer has enough battery life to watch a full length movie during my commute. So I rent it, rip it, watch it on the train, then delete it. With a 2Gb memory stick, I can have 3, maybe 4, movies depending on their length.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i had one ... it broke.. the end.

(i would get a DS because it has more exciting gameplay and better multiplayer. psp just has more regular games for people who are not nintendo junkies. If i want to seriously game, i would use my 360) [Wink]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I wonder why, if these mods are so great, why Sony doesn't included some of their ideas/innovations in their new releases of firmware. You would think that increased options and functionality would only help their sales....both of the PSP's and of the software itself.

They add a few things here and there. It wouldn't surprise me if they added an email client later. It's a very capable device, and it seems like Sony is holding it back. I'm a little disappointed that I'll never be able to write code for it without resorting to shenanigans.

--j_k

Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
My love and appreciation of the DS is boundless. I had a PSP. I sold it, and got a DS Lite. I'm never without the DS.

Wifi is easy, the optional browser is convenient, depending on where you are, but beyond all that, the games are just amazing.

I just finished The World Ends With You, and now I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2, while also replaying the Phoenix Wright games-- and of course, continuing on the 2+ years I've sunk into Animal Crossing.

Love it.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.