FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » English Grammar Dobie

Author Topic: English Grammar Dobie
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a small question:

Say there is a group which includes several members, and some noun is genitive to one of those members; how would the apostrophe be used? Say:

(1) "I borrowed one of the group's members' book";
(2) "I borrowed one of the group's member's book";
or (3) is the sentence grammatically unstructurable in such a form in the first place?

I tend to say (1), as the group includes more than a single member and therefore the genitive suffix apostrophe-s is actually applied to the subject of the clause, "one". Am I mistaken in this assumption?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "I borrowed a group member's book?"
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're advocating a paraphrase? It's a legitimate option, and I'd normally tend to paraphrase if it comes to that need in order to avoid unneccessary mistakes; but if confronted with the grammatical conflict of the first two options, what's to be done?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I can't answer in strict grammatical terms, being too deficient in my book learnin', so hopefully someone else will come around and answer. However, it seems to me that stringing a couple of possessive
"'s" usages together like that is too tortured, and might not have a correct form. I can't find an equivalent example in the several web pages I just read about genitive case.

I'd much prefer even "I borrowed a member of the group's book." But I'm speaking only about what makes a clear, easy to understand sentence and not really about grammatical correctness. I don't actually know which of the 3 options you originally listed is correct.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
The sentences are confusing. The phrase "one of" can refer either to the member of the group, or to the book. In #1, the "one of" refers to the person - "one of the group's members." In #2, the "one of" refers to the book. In which case, it should be, "I borrowed one of the group's member's books."

In writing, "I borrowed a group member's book" would seem best to me. In speaking, it won't matter where you put your apostrophe - no one will know.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd much prefer even "I borrowed a member of the group's book."
hearing or reading this sentence would really confuse me.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Another unambiguous rendering would probably be something like "I borrowed a book from one of the group's members."

I am having a terrible time finding an applicable rule for the original question. I did find a definition that said:

quote:
double possessive

1. (grammar) Two or more consecutive nouns in the possessive case, as with "St. Paul's Cathedral's vergers"; discouraged on grounds of style.

Unfortunately this isn't much of an authoritative source, and it says that it is discouraged, but not by whom.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Hmm, I guess the issue is stylistic primarily. I'll probably have to take the Q up to a linguist or a philosopher. Thanks for the research, scifibum et al... :-)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
In common usage, no one says "one of the group's members" but would rather say "one of the group members". "Group member", "Church Member", "Club Member", "Board Member" are all common usage. There is no need from the 's declination since it is not in common usage.

Hence, I would recommend

I borrowed one of the group members' books.

As a side note, "one of the group member's", definitely seems wrong since one would never say "one of the group member".

[ July 22, 2008, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
That sentence makes my head hurt.

I generally try to avoid double possessives. There's always a way to rephrase it better.

"One of the group member's books"
"A book from one of the group's members"
"A book from one of the members of the group"
etc.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Cease speaking, writing, and thinking. The problem is thus solved.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I would rewrite the sentence like scifibum suggested. There is too much ambiguity no matter what you do with the apostrophes.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
grammer nerds rock!!
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.