FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books to Movies

Author Topic: Books to Movies
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

- posted      Profile for L_mustang94           Edit/Delete Post 
What books do you think should be made into movies?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game, probably most of the Ender books, Artemis Fowl, Most Drizzt/Artemis Entreri novels by RA Salvatore.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think Enchantment would make a wonderful movie.
Ender's Game is already being worked on...since like 2004...and it's Mr. Card's most talked about novel even though I find his other works far more interesting. It's probably because I've read about 30 books by him, though. However, everything did start with Ender's Game with me.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
The Godfather
The short story "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"

oh wait...

In all seriousness- they need to do a real adaptation of "The Dark is Rising" and my favorite kid's book "The Pushcart War" I think could be made into a really funny movie.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a particular reason why you asked us this? What are some books you'd like to see adapted?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Skellig
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
In all seriousness- they need to do a real adaptation of "The Dark is Rising"

QFT.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Foundation Movie! (there hasnt been one, right?) [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

I want to see Tantalize and a lot of other vampire books.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

I want to see Tantalize and a lot of other vampire books.
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Thief of Always
Dragon Weather

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Gates of Fire, to rid people's memories of that travesty 300.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading "The Gulag Archepelago". One whole chapter takes place describing his comrades in one particular prison cell.

There is an old Soviet Bolshevik, that Stalin had arrested when he cleaned out all of them.

There is a Soviet Soldier, fresh from the war where he spent years as a German POW. Stalin had all POW's arrested and sent to the labor camps. If they couldn't die in battle, they were traitors.

There is a Soviet Engineer, who did well under Stalin, proud and strong and virile. Then he did not turn over army supplies to the local KGB leader so the leader could finish working on his summer house.

There are a couple more. I think this would make a great tight one-room play/movie. WWII is ending and Moscow is celebrating, but these 6 people, ex-soldiers and the backbone of the Soviet system, are destined to spend their lives in prison camps, tortured, and broken.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Dan_raven, try One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, also written by Solzhenitsyn and set in the Gulag, made into a movie in 1970, starring Tom Courtenay.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

The House of the Scorpion would be great as a movie.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Zigzag Kid, by David Grossman.

Oh.

And RE-MAKE Harry Potter. As a miniseries this time. And put some thought into it.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
The Bartimaeus Trilogy.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers would make an awesome miniseries.

The Phantom Tollbooth.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I actually *liked* The Phantom Tollbooth movie.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
A real Dune movie or miniseries. With the eyes right, the plot right, and the costumes not so ridiculous. Something that gives me the impression that director actually read the books, paid attention to the point of the story, the descriptions of the characters, physical aspects, and dress. Honestly, even if they got the desert walking vaguely respectable, I think I might be happy. I kept waiting for the Fremen to die with every march and step in all the previous film/TV incarnations of Dune.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, The Hobbit [Wink]

I wonder that with the new wave of fanstay films noone's taken the rights for one of the David Eddings books.

As a grown up I'd like to see COnsider Phlebus, or The Player of Games turned into a film - if only to see how they portray the Culture.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE "THE SPARROW" MADE INTO A MOVIE.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd prefer if they never made another movie from a book.

/snob

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Because Lord of The Rings was the worst film trilogy ever?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:

And RE-MAKE Harry Potter. As a miniseries this time. And put some thought into it.

I'd LOVE to see this!!

How about Octavia Butler's Oankali trilogy?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

But that wouldn't have Emma Watson (she's *barely* younger than me, I'm allowed to oggle her.)
Cashew
Member # 6023

I'd love to see a decent Dune adaptation. I hated the movie, and the final scene where it started to rain made me sick. I tried watching the miniseries but the eyes were so annoying I couldn't. It's such a great story.
Cashew
Member # 6023

And I wish someone would make a good version of the first 3 of Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom books, A Princess of Mars, The Gods of MArs and Warlord of Mars. They are real old fashioned action packed swashbucklers.
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Empire.
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
A real Dune movie or miniseries. With the eyes right, the plot right, and the costumes not so ridiculous. Something that gives me the impression that director actually read the books, paid attention to the point of the story, the descriptions of the characters, physical aspects, and dress. Honestly, even if they got the desert walking vaguely respectable, I think I might be happy. I kept waiting for the Fremen to die with every march and step in all the previous film/TV incarnations of Dune.

This is in the works. I can't say how I know, but I will say this: I live in Los Angeles and have a number of friends who are writers. It could be that one of them is in charge of writing the new adaptation of Dune, which will then be made into a feature-length movie from a major studio.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stars My Destination.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
Empire.

It would be as unbelievable on film as it is in print.

Edit: I say this only because it's OSC's least life-like book, as far as I have been able to tell. It's cartoonish sitting next to his science fiction, even though the subject matter is supposed to be close to our own experiences. It just convinces me even more firmly that science fiction can be filter for much greater insight than other forms.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Starship Troopers would make an awesome miniseries.

It really would. It has that blunt directness of Heinlein, but also the episodic and interwoven political and personal detail that would be perfect fodder for HBO or BBC, maybe the Sci-Fi Channel. It could be very real, unlike the adaption from the 90's, which is pretty much intentional camp- I still like it, but there's no depth.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there A Starship Troopers cartoon series?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Because Lord of The Rings was the worst film trilogy ever?

No.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cerridwen
Member # 11763

- posted      Profile for Cerridwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trent Destian:
Wasn't there A Starship Troopers cartoon series?

Indeed there was.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by paigereader:
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE "THE SPARROW" MADE INTO A MOVIE.

I believe Brad Pitt owns the rights, plans to make it and plans to star as Emilio. Russell has written at least one script, that one of my neighbors was able to get special permission from her and order a copy from the Library of Congress, or some such. I've seen the manuscript, but not read it. He promises he will some day allow the script to leave his sight.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I think I'd prefer if they never made another movie from a book.

/snob

So would I...
Books are better than movies.

But, a miniseries of HP that isn't rushed would be good.

Maybe a movie of Wise Child where they don't RUIN IT.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.