FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Racial comedy

Author Topic: Racial comedy
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting piece examining racially-based humour. I know I've expressed the (perhaps controversial) opinion that I'm mostly ok with racially-based humour but I probably had difficulty expressing it. I'd probably even be ok with Esther Ku who is objected to strongly in this article.

However, the general opinions expressed in this piece is similar to how I sometimes feel, although I'd probably never analyse it to this detail. Kinda thought-provoking for me.

Selected quotes:
quote:

This is where I need some help: I freakin’ love Russell Peters. Am I a disgusting hypocrite?

His act is littered with sexism, he’s made a household name for himself with a joke condoning child abuse (somebody gonna get a hurt real bad…), and one of his hottest bits involves mocking South African names. But everyone I know loves him - particularly people of colour, and anti-racist people of colour at that.

This lack of real diversity, Díaz argued, creates The Wheel of Tyranny (and if he was here to draw this for us he would), where communities of colour circle constantly around a hub that is white folks, while never communicating with each other. Díaz suggested that in reflecting the experience of other people of colour in our work, we create a home for each other in our art; we show each other that we exist.

Which is arguably what Peters does.

Let’s look at Esther Ku. In the video Latoya posted a while back (see the Esther Ku link above), who is Ku speaking to? In her celebration of yellow fever and her assurances that even Korean people can’t tell each other apart or use chopsticks, she’s always speaking to white audiences - even though when the Last Comic Standing camera pans to the audience, there’s always a few faces of colour.

Along with the fact that these jokes are offensive (and not really funny), they send the message that audiences of colour are not important enough to write jokes for. In fact, all they’re good for is the butt of jokes. Just like ye olde status quo, Ku’s jokes place white folks at the center of everything.

Peters on the other hand talks about relationships between Indians and Chinese folks, between Indians and Jamaicans, between Indians and Latinos. More than this it really seems like Peters is simply trying to make people like himself laugh. There’s something sorta subversive about the fact that he’s playing to himself, instead of pandering to an audience that doesn’t share his experience at all.

Latoya used the phrase “in house jokes” to refer to jokes that communities of colour will only tell to each other. These are jokes that are only funny when told by the POC they make fun of, to a POC audience. Peters’ jokes are different - while they definitely would not be the funny if told by a white person* they work for all stripes of audiences, because they aren’t crafted for a white audience.

You tell me, is it ok to laugh at Russell Peters? Is it ever ok to laugh at any comedy that makes fun of race?

http://www.racialicious.com/2008/08/01/in-defense-of-russell-peters-are-racial-stereotypes-ever-funny/

There are some links to some skits by Russel Peters for context. It may even help visiting Pacific Mall, I can give directions [Smile]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Along with the fact that these jokes are offensive (and not really funny), they send the message that audiences of colour are not important enough to write jokes for. In fact, all they’re good for is the butt of jokes.

I always thought Tyler Perry's stuff was written for a white audience.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of it depends on your audience, I think. I don't think is always wrong, regardless of the PC answer. I don't disdain PC, per say, but lot of the time I feel it has gone too far.

I am fine with Irish jokes, Catholic jokes, and man jokes most of the time. While I can see why other people can get offended at times, that is their problem, not mine.

The again I am white, so who cares what I think. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really think Russell Peters is funny, myself, though I know Indian people who do. To me his routines are just a bunch of stereotypes, and fairly mean-spirited to boot. I don't get a good feeling from them at all. No judgment on anyone who likes him, though. Just stating my feelings on the subject.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like Russell Peters, by contrast. Yes, his comedy "uses" race, but it seems like the underlying theme is "we're all human and we all think and do silly things even despite the different surfaces of race." It feels like a we're-all-in-this-together sort of comedy to me.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Deany, I'm glad other people get a better feeling from it than I do. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.