FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me write a sexy cover letter

Author Topic: Help me write a sexy cover letter
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to figure out how to write a letter of interest that will get me this job right near my house.
It's an administrative assistant possition.
They want someone with proven work history in administration. I have it. I can use Microsoft Office, I can type 70-75 words per minute. I can answer phones, file, do correspondence, use various other programs. All of that stuff
But I struggle with cover letters.
Here's some examples:

Dear Hiring Manager:

I am responding to your advertisement on Craigslist regarding the administrative assistant position. Please find attached my resume showing my education, experience and background.

I have over 3 years experience in administration.

The qualifications and professional knowledge I can bring to your organization include:

· Typing skills over 65 words per minute
· Experience with Microsoft Office
· Correspondence skills, I typed over 106 letters a day for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
· Experience with programs such as SAGE

I am a flexible employee who works well independently and in a group. In review of your company’s objectives and possible openings, I believe that my experience is in perfect line with your current needs. If your firm is looking for a dependable, results-oriented professional with a solid performance track, I would be interested in speaking with you to discuss the value that my strengths and experience can bring to your company at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Shondolyn Gibson

Dear Hiring Manager:

The accompanying resume is in response to the position listed on Craigslist.

I am excited about this position because with my previous experience working at Blue Cross Blue Shield and my computer skills I'd be an ideal candidate. My typing skills are higher than 60 words per minute. I am proficient with several Microsoft Windows programs. My experience working at Americorps with the Leaps in Literacy program has prepared me to work with a variety of people ranging in ba ckground and ages. In addition to tutoring elementary school students in reading I coordinated many programs to promote literacy.

I would love an opportunity to discuss how my skills can benefit your company at your earliest convinience. (sp)

Sincerely,

Dear Hiring Manager:

The accompanying resume is in response to the position listed on the Commonwealth Employment Opportunity website.

I am excited about this position because with my previous experience at Blue Cross Blue Shield and other companies I’d be ideal for this position. My typing skills are higher than sixty words per minute. I am proficient in several Microsoft Windows programs, filing and correspondence and other vital office skills.

If your firm is looking for a dependable, results-oriented professional with a solid performance track, I would be interested in speaking with you to discuss the value that my strengths and experience can bring to your company at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

[ August 26, 2008, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not good with cover letters either but I just wanted to point out that you have your name and phone number listed - not sure if you wanted that to be public info...

Good luck on the job front!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, a cover letter is to get your resume looked at and give you an edge on getting an interview. Showing how you meet all the major requirements from their job posting is a big plus. Showing interest in their company and in solving their immediate problems is also a plus.

I'd say the second letter is the best, but flesh out your Americorps experience in a separate paragraph beginning with "For example," and try to tie each point of experience directly to what this hiring company might be needing right now. Having coordinated many literacy programs is a huge advantage if you can demonstrate that it gives you a leg up in the organization, networking, budgeting, and leadership the hiring company might be looking for in an administrative assistant.

Also, have someone proofread the letter before you send it. You have some run-on sentences and a few other small errors going on. I'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to give it a quick look-through. I will, if you want me to.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think those are fine but generic sounding. I think you should show that you've taken the time to learn about the company. Whatever it says on the company website, if there is one, you should have a handle on it. Refer to specifics about the company in your cover letter to show that you actually looked into the company and they aren't just one of many companies you're showering with applications. Talk about why you think the company is interesting and why you want to work there (focusing, of course, on the company's interests and not things like proximity to your home).

You have a much better chance of standing out among candidates if you show the hiring manager that you actually cared enough to do a little research.

Oh, and to make it sexy you should kiss the letter without lipstick on. They won't see anything, but it'll give it a nice sexy vibe they will unconsciously pick up on.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
scifibum has it. Personalize the letter with the name of the hiring manager if at all possible (don't ever ever ever adress it to "Insertjobhere" or even worse, "To Whom it May Concern").
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
May I borrow some inspiration from your own cover letter?

quote:

Dear Hiring Manager,

Hello my name is Blayne Bradley and I am very interested in a job with Babelmedia, I am interested in the positions of Project Managing PCCPM Montreal, Video game tester VGT1, and possibly Mobile porting developer MPD1. My resume is attached via pdf showing my education, experience and background. I am a student at John Abbott College in my graduating year of Computer Sciences training to be a Computer programmer and analyst.

My qualifications are of Network Administrator, Webmaster (programming, administration,e-commerce) and Technical support. I Could be called on to take full responsibility for small-scale development projects.

I am a flexible employee who works well independently and in a group. In review of your company’s objectives and possible openings, I believe that my experience is in perfect line with your current needs. If your firm is looking for a dependable, results-oriented professional with a solid performance track, I would be interested in speaking with you to discuss the value that my strengths and experience can bring to your company at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Blayne Bradley

Basically can I borrow the part in bold? [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, go ahead. I borrowed that from another letter.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That last paragraph is so generic that anybody could use it to apply to any job. Take some cues from it, but by all means personalize it a little.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Is this any good?
It needs to be sent out now.

Please accept my application for the Administrative Assistant for the town of Rockland at the Assessor’s Office position listed on Hotjobs.
As your administrative assistant I would bring to the job an ability to learn new programs quickly. My typing speed is 70 words per minute and accurate. At Leaps in Literacy I worked with a variety of people promoting literacy to second and third graders. I wrote newsletters and helped conduct programs for parents and their children. I typed 106 letters per day for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Blue Card team. I have answered phones courteously, performed customer service tasks with politeness and patience. I have copied and collated large amounts of documents. At my last job I learned how to use the SAGE program in a matter of days and processed over a thousand tickets and delicate financial information. I also used Excel and Word’s mail merge program to process over a thousand thank-you letters.
Having lived in the town of _________ for the last six years I am interested in how it is run. I have attended town hall meetings, I have voted in nearly every election and I frequently visit the town library. I would be ideal for this position. I would love an opportunity to discuss how my skills can benefit your organization at your earliest convenience.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Synth, give me a few minutes and I'll post some suggestions.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's my suggested version:

quote:
Please accept my application for the Administrative Assistant position at the Rockland Assessor’s Office.

My skills and experience are well suited to this position. At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, I used my ability to type 70 words per minute to create and send 106 letters per day. I am well-versed in common office productivity applications such as Word and Excel and have learned how to use a complex in-house financial system in a matter of days.

I am also skilled at working with members of the public. I have answered phones and performed customer service tasks with politeness and patience. At Leaps in Literacy, I wrote and published newsletters and conducted programs for parents and children promoting literacy.

Having lived in the town of _________ for the last six years, I would love an opportunity to discuss how my skills can benefit your organization at your earliest convenience.

First, I removed some specifics that are probably not meaningful to the potential employer. If SAGE is something they use at the Assessor's Office, you should put back the reference to it. You should also verify that my description ("complex in-house financial system") is accurate.

Second, I organized your skills into internal and external skills. If your phone/customer service experience was with people likely to be upset (customer complaints, etc.), we should work that in. If it was just normal receptionist phone answering, the description is probably good.

This letter assumes that your resume provides the details about what you did where.

It would be good if someone else could proof before sending.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first two were fine. I agree that adding some specifics is a good idea. I think that Dag's sample letter looks very good.

I havn't applied for a job in a long time, though.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Awesome. thanks

you are lucky Kmbboots.
applying for jobs is awful.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Applying sucks! You have my sympathies.

I really like Dagonee's letter.

Synesthesia, does the company you are applying to have a webpage? Would you be comfortable linking to it here? I bet more customization to the corporation & job might help.

---

PS: also if you are comfortable with cut-and-pasting or linking to the job offer, that would help.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be applying for jobs. The only reason I'm not is inertia.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-J6GRYK8X6SX;_ylc=X3oDMTEwa2swNjlzBF9TAzM5NjUxMDMzNQRjYXQDT1RIBHBjb2RlAzUwNTc1?source=partner&scode=50575

This is one of 3 jobs I am applying for in which I have to mail or fax the resume.
I sent this cover letter to UPS, but they probably won't even get it until tomorrow.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good luck!

Are you still asking for any advice on cover letters, or are those all sent out to the jobs you are applying for? And you haven't finished applying to jobs, are there links to those jobs instead? (i.e., that you haven't sent a letter to yet)

Again, best of luck.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I won't send out the ones for the 3 jobs that require faxing or mailing until tomorrow, but I'm always applying for jobs on Craigslist. Several times a day.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, that's great. Generally it's useful to tailor a cover letter and adjust a resume to reflect the elements of the job described in the call for applications. If you ever want some help with that part, post the job notice here before you send the letter, and [someone] can probably help.

It's so great that you are forging ahead, even if this part is hard. I, too, hate applying for jobs. I hate asking for anything when I might be turned down -- I'd rather not ask and just do without. Hard to do that with work for livelihood, though.

[ August 06, 2008, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I know. I need to work. My rent has gone up and I am behind.
So I must get a better job. I hae all of the skills. I can work these jobs. It's selling myself that I hate.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I've been running from job interview to job interview lately, and have been running off cover letters willy-nilly. Here's my take:

Dear Mr. Gibbons,

Regarding the Administrative Assistant position advertised on Hotjobs, I feel that I would be an ideal candidate for the position. My skills and experience are a good match for the job, and I have the strong work ethic, high degree of professionalism, and excellent interpersonal skills that such a position demands. I have over three years of secretarial experience, and am familiar with all aspects of running an efficient office.

I can accurately type at over 70 words per minute, and am comfortable working with computers and the Microsoft Office Suite products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, spreadsheets). I am a quick study and am always eager to learn new skills.

Please see the attached resume. References furnished upon request.

Thank you,

Shondolyn Gibson

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I like Tante's better than mine.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah. I already mailed and faxed my resumes, but I can use that for the online ones. It's good to have more than one cover letter so i don't sound like a machine.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Lovely. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Good luck!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.