FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Solzhenitsyn has Died

Author Topic: Solzhenitsyn has Died
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it (may need to click through ad to get to site)
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Rest in peace.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Was I alone in thinking that he had died like, 40 years ago? I mean, I guess I just assummed that he had passed because I grew up seeing the Gulag Archipelago on my dad's library shelf, and those books looked like they had been old when he bought them.

I have a copy myself, and I just bought the first volume on audible about a week ago.... which seems strange to me. Maybe it was being advertised in anticipation of his death?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
RIP
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about half way through "Gulag". It has so many modern day tie ins, from the debate about "Torture/Aggressive Interrogation" to the talk about "Activist Judges" (the Soviet Union judges were the opposite of activist. They upheld any law that their masters told them to.).

There is a lot of talk in the west about the bravery and sacrifice that the Russian people went through to defeat Hitler. Here the deaths are attributed more to their incompetence.

Great book. Fun read.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
i wouldn't exactly call it "fun" read [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the earliest "grown-up" books I ever picked up to read was One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, which was on a second to bottom shelf in my house's library and had very big, bold lettering. I think I was about five or six at the time. There were still plenty of concepts about the book I couldn't understand but I generally began to pick up on the fact that this was the life of a prisoner, an attempt to convey what a single day was. I remembered vivid scenes of how Ivan had to hack ice off a privy in order to go to the bathroom, about how he mechanically used bread edges to collect all the remnants of soup during mealtime. Of the labor in the cold, and the trading of cigarettes, even the butts. I eventually told my dad about the book and he was bemused to hear that I'd gone and picked that one up. Then, he told me that it was written by a guy from Russia who was attempting to capture what it was like to live life in a siberian gulag, and that these camps were very real things that existed in Russia, and that countless numbers of people had been shipped off to these places to toil and die.

Blew my little malformed brain. So I credit Solzhenitsyn with making me something of a stubborn social activist. A lot came out of reading that book, especially after re-reading it at eleven and getting way more out of it.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i wouldn't exactly call it "fun" read [Smile]
Au Contrair, I have never read about systemitized degradation, torture, pain, genocide, ethnic cleansing and bureaucratic socio-pathic organized brutal insanity with such good humor, irony, and satire, ever.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something to be said for brutal realism. For all the ecstatic humor and wit of a Douglas Adams novel, Adams never did face the brutality of the world, or force his reader to do so.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.