FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What to do in London when you're not dead: Saturday, Aug 23 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What to do in London when you're not dead: Saturday, Aug 23
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's the difference between an actor and a great/good actor. I know David Tennant has talked about how excited he is for the challenge of playing Hamlet and doing those great soliloquies.

I can't wait to see his version. I've read that it's almost whispered, and the Daily Mail said that Tennant's Hamlet deserves to join the pantheon of great interpretations.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a good actor myself, so it's kind of like the idea of playing an instrument I don't know in front of people. If there are actors out there dying for a chance to be Hamlet, that's a good thing. I'll wait for a chance to see one of those productions.

Where has Tennant performed Hamlet?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely not whispered. But it's very, very good. Very.

I really wish I could join you guys, but it's a Saturday and my work owns my soul on Saturdays. Sorry about the confusion! Are you around any other days in England?

Orincoro, he's playing it right now in Stratford-upon-Avon with the RSC. And it is fantastic. If I thought I had any hope of catching a return ticket, I would try and go see it a third time. I'm kicking myself that I didn't book more tickets originally.

[ August 13, 2008, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

hmm. Stratford's a long trip for one day, and I'm only going to be in England for a few days next month. Still, maybe i'll catch it when it comes to London around christmas- I'll be in Paris around that time.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
You have two options if you want to see it. Okay, three. Pay hundreds of pounds on Ebay and hope the RSC doesn't clue in and void the ticket, buy a membership to the RSC and hope you can still snag a seat, or show up on the day of at 4am and get in line for return tickets. It is insane. Absolutely insane. You are competing with the hordes of ravening fanboys and fangirls.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
too bad you can't make it EL [Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Yeah, I started looking at train schedules and stuff until I realised what day of the week it is. I wish I could meet you guys.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
You have two options if you want to see it. Okay, three. Pay hundreds of pounds on Ebay and hope the RSC doesn't clue in and void the ticket, buy a membership to the RSC and hope you can still snag a seat, or show up on the day of at 4am and get in line for return tickets. It is insane. Absolutely insane. You are competing with the hordes of ravening fanboys and fangirls.

Meh, honestly I've almost never failed to get a ticket when I tried. A few years ago I did the all-nighter to see Ewan Mcgregor in Guys and Dolls, which was worth it.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
EL, how about Friday 22nd? I think our tentative plans are to go to Warwick.

Amira, we'd be getting into London at around midday on Saturday, and we plan to go to Westminster first thing. Is that too late? Too boring?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

EL, that's so sad!

I am going to be in London on Wednesday, but the day is already mostly planned. I have a ticket that night to The Mousetrap, and I'll be spending the day taking a tour of London. What about meeting for lunch or dinner that Wednesday? You are also, of course, welcome to join me on my very-touristy tour which no doubt involve a double-decker bus and some Dalek cookies, but I wouldn't expect you to. What do you think?

Amira, what's your schedule on Saturday? If midday is too close to your hen party is at one, any chance you'd be able to join us for dinner? Or if that's impossible, what about Wednesday (see note above)?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I think Saturday is out. Midday is probably too close to the hen party for me to get there in time, and then it goes on all evening - we are seeing Dirty Dancing at the theatre in the evening.

Wednesday might be better - assuming we are talking about Wednesday 20th. I have class until lunchtime but I think my afternoon is free, so late-ish lunch around 2 would be okay.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What about lunch on Wednesday, then? Do you have a suggestion for a great place to go for someone who has never been to anything there? I've heard wonderful things about English desserts.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe nobody recommended the Victoria and Albert Museum. I want to go there so bad.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Darn, I can't do Wednesday either. I have a supervision meeting. Sorry my schedule's a pain.
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, that is very sad.

Hmm...Sunday morning? I don't leave until Sunday afternoon...

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Lunch on Wednesday is good. My class finishes at 1, so perhaps we could meet by the Marks and Spencers food store outside Victoria station at about 1:15. I don't have any idea where would be good to go, as I don't eat out in central London much, but I'll look through some restaurant reviews and we can decide when we meet, depending on what we both feel like eating. I'll email you my mobile number so you can call me.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am soooo jealous...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Amira, that sounds great. I'll plan on meeting you tomorrow by the entrance of the Mark and Spencers at Victoria station at 1:15. I'll be wearing an Audrey Hepburn t-shirt and possibly a lost look on my face. [Smile]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I am soooo jealous...

Me, too. Have a great time.

And if you see the most beautiful man in town strolling around Soho, tell him I miss him.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if we'll be in Soho, but I will definitely tell my husband you say hi, Kate [Razz]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Hussy.

[Wink]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have time, I recommend a "London Walks" tour. All that I have been on have been great...
http://www.walks.com/

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.