FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Russian troops invade Georgia (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Russian troops invade Georgia
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, the North Koreans invaded South Korea, then American forces intervened and invaded North Korea, then Chinese forces intervened and the two pushed and pulled the situation back and forth pretty much to the current stalemate.

While simply calling it a "Chinese invasion" is very misleading, it is also kinda misleading to say that the Chinese never invaded South Korea.

In any case, the whole situation is morally ambiguous enough that it seems to border on a Godwin to compare the Chinese intervention in Korea to Hitler.

(I also find vaguely disturbing automatically assuming that one should side with the country of one's citizenship rather than examining one's conscience, the facts, and then coming to a rational decision as to which side to support... if any)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In the early hours of August 11, Russian sources reported that Tskhinvali was again under fire from Georgian artillery.[152] South Ossetia government representative Irina Gagloeva stated the morning of August 11 that Georgia opened the irrigation canal, supposedly in an effort to flood the basements of Tskhinvali buildings with an intention to prevent civilians from hiding from bombings.[153]

According to Georgian officials (quoted in the New York Times) large numbers of Russian ground forces had entered undisputed Georgian territory and were headed to Gori. Western officials again reiterated their fears that Russia intends to overthrow the Georgian government. Russia denied any intention of occupying Georgia, "We have enough territory to think of, we don't need Georgia." said Aleksei Pavlov, a Kremlin spokesman.[154] The representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia claims that Russia began "intensive combat" in Gori following prior air strikes. Georgian troops reportedly returned fire. The Russian Ministry of Defense did not confirm or deny the reports.[155]

During the early morning Moscow time, Russia declared itself ready to make peace with Georgia. U.N. officials confirmed that Georgia was prepared to negotiate with Russia by withdrawing troops from the breakaway province of South Ossetia and creating a safe travel zone. Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said Russia is "ready to put an end to the war," but also accused the U.N. secretary-general's office of taking Georgia's side. The agreement was confirmed by U.N. Undersecretary-General for Political Affairs, B. Lynne Pascoe during a briefing to the Security Council.[156]

Georgia declared that it had received a Russian ultimatum that it must disarm troops near the breakaway province of Abkhazia or face Russian forces moving into Georgian-controlled territory. This demand was conveyed through U.N. military observers in the area.[157] Russian assistant commander Alexander Novitskiy reported on the morning of 11 August that 9,000 Russian troops and 350 armored vehicles had entered Abkhazia during the evening of August 10.[158]

Later, it was reported that Russian Airborne Forces Commander lieutenant general Valeriy Evtukhovich arrived in Abkhazia.[159]

Russian General Staff Second-in-Commander Alexander Nagovitsyn confirms on the briefing at noon that Russian Army lost another two Su-25 jets.[11] Also he confirmed 18 soldiers dead, 14 missing (Whereabouts Unknown).

FSB Director Alexander Bortnikov reported that nine Georgian special services agents were arrested, and they "prepared for terrorist attacks on the territory of the Russian Federation". He said that all nine agents have confessed to the allegations.[160]

According to Anatoly Nogovitsyn, 800 Georgian troops and 11 tons of cargo were moved from Iraq to Georgia by eight US Aviation flights. Early Georgian officials said that all moved Georgian troops will be sent to South Ossetia war conflict zone.[161] Nagovitsyn also stated that Russia will take "adequate measures" in response to that, which would mean the increase of Russian troops in conflict zone. Prime minister Vladimir Putin criticized the USA for help in redeploying Georgian troops from Iraq.[162]

North Ossetian government officials say that several foreign mercenaries have arrived to Vladikavkaz hospital. Early at General Staff briefing Alexander Nagovitsyn confirmed that there were black-skinned soldiers with non-Georgian passports among them; he did not specify their citizenship.[163]

According to RIA Novosti, the earlier reports about Russians not being allowed to leave Georgia[145] have been disclaimed by Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs.[164]. Meanwhile, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs claims that it received such reports from over 360 stranded Russian citizens.[165]

The Georgian Minister of Defense announced that the Georgian military base in Senaki, outside Abkhazia, was captured by Russian armored vehicles, and the Associated Press indicated that a government official in Moscow confirmed the move. The Georgian Interior Minister stated that police stations in Zugdidi had also been seized.[166]

According to Georgian officials, the city of Gori, 40 miles (64 km) from the Georgain capital, has fallen to Russian forces.[167] Russian's defense ministry denied the information, claiming there were no Russian troops on Gori. [168]. Also, this was confirmed by Reuters reporters James Kilner and Margarita Antidze, who said that there is no any "trace of troops or military vehicles, it is absolutely deserted".[169] This has also been stated by the British Foreign Secretary who said '...British representatives on the ground and the media have reported that Russia has extended the fighting today well beyond South Ossetia, attacking the Georgian port of Poti ,and the town of Gori, ... I deplore this.'[170] The UK Telegraph reported that it witnessed "Georgians in a full scale disorganised and panicked retreat from Gori".[171]

The Assistant Commander of Russian peacekeepers Alexander Novitsky claims that during a reconnaissance mission the Russian Air Force shot down two Georgian helicopters at the air base of Senaki. The helicopters were identified as Mi-8 and Mi-24 belonging to the Georgian Air Force.[172]

Russian Ministry of Defense confirmed sending of two companies of Chechnya based special battalions Vostok and Zapad of GRU to South Ossetia.[173]

Since Gori is along Georgia's main highway, the country is now cut in two, Georgia says. Georgian troops are falling back to defend the capital city of Tbilisi, following the fall of Gori. Secretary of the Georgian Security Council, Alexander Lomaia, said that the Georgian Army had been told to stand fast and hold the city of Mtskheta, 15 miles from the capital.[174] A U.S. military official told CNN that Russian attacks on Georgia -- including radars and communication systems -- have devastated the country's command and control system to the point where Georgian leaders may not have a clear idea of the situation on the ground. [175]

The Israeli newspaper Maariv reported that the US was supplying Georgia with arms. According to the paper, the US is hiring Russian-made freight planes belonging to UTI Worldwide Inc. to transport arms and ammunition to Georgia. The paper says the Pentagon is redirecting supplies to Tbilisi that were earmarked for Iraq.[176]

According to Russia Today (RT): "The U.S. has begun evacuating the families of its diplomats from Georgia. They are being sent to Armenia as a precaution, according to the U.S. Embassy in the Armenian capital Yerevan. U.S. ambassador John Tefft and his team of diplomats will continue their work in Tbilisi."[177] Meanwhile Russian Defence Ministry said it has no plans to attack Tbilisi. "We do not have and have never had any plans to advance on Tbilisi," Interfax agency cites a source in Russian command. Also Russian troops reportedly left Senaki military base. [178] [179]

Comments:

The situation on the ground is annoying me, google maps refuses to work for me, and I haven't found any good sites showing current troop positions, I WANT TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON!!!

Basically Georgia says Russia is attacking/taken Gori, Reuters and Russia says otherwise UK I hear has mixed reports of either Goir being "deserted" and or Georgian troops in a panicked disorganized retreat.

So thats fairly confusing and in the meantime I am informed that the Russians according to the Petagon have so successfully bombed Georgian radar and command and control centers that the Georgian leaders may not have a clear picture of whats happening on the ground.

This would explain the situation in Gori.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
(I also find vaguely disturbing automatically assuming that one should side with the country of one's citizenship rather than examining one's conscience, the facts, and then coming to a rational decision as to which side to support... if any)

Yes, ok, but seriously: In a dispute between China and Canada, which side is likely to have the moral high ground?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well... we did unlease our beavers into Russia, it wasn't very nice of us.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe Gori has fallen so quickly.
The Georgian military swarmed in to protect it just yesterday!

The capital is next...we don't have any time to lose if we are to save Georgia (or at least their Government). Russia will be in Tbilisi in two days at this rate.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Send who? The guys who're on leave after their last tour in Iraq?

Unless the media is grossly misreprenting things (which I concede as entirely possible) I didn't think we had any more combat forces sitting around not grossly overworked. I suppose if we've got an ships in the Black Sea we could launch some planes and artillery from there, but I'm not aware of any infantry we could follow it up with.

And God help us if Russia decided to take offense and start some trouble. We couldn't handle that right now, no way.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Russia's defence ministry quickly issued a statement rejecting the claim, saying there were none of its troops in Gori.

Later, a spokesman for the Georgian interior ministry told the BBC that there had never been Russian troops in Gori.

He said the Russian army had taken up a position just outside the town after destroying a military base and admitted Georgian troops had fled the area without putting up a fight.

BBC. (Same as in the other thread. Just clearing up the confusion about Gori, not defending the Russian actions in any way. They are clearly being far more aggressive than is necessary.

The US can not intervene with troops. As AvidReader just pointed out, there are no troops to intervene. That doesn't mean nothing can be done.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Yes, ok, but seriously: In a dispute between China and Canada, which side is likely to have the moral high ground?

Well, like I said, the last time China and Canada were at war is actually during the Korean War. We were dragged in by the US piecemeal and I consider our participation in the invasion of North Korea to be pretty morally ambiguous.

Additionally, the last two times Canada was at war, Afghanistan and (de facto, not officially) Iraq, those were both wars that I was against in terms of Canada participating and again ... we got dragged in by the US.

I actually think that the probability of the US managing to drag us into war with China is higher than that of China unilaterally declaring war on Canada. So, I definitely think that the moral high ground could be very unclear.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think the invasion of North Korea was morally ambiguous?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Canada's moral high ground is a different ground from China's moral high ground.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Dagonee: Why would it be morally unambiguous?

Teshi: Huh?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dagonee: Why would it be morally unambiguous?
Because North Korea invaded South Korea in an act of naked aggression, and had we not invaded, the entire peninsula would have been subject to a totalitarian regime.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

The fact that Canada might feel bad about invading various countries doesn't mean that we would potentially be on the same level as China in the same situation.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I should point out that North Korea and South Korea were hardly separate countries and South Korea at the time was hardly the poster boy for democracy either.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I should ALSO point out that any direct military intervention by the United States could lead to a nuclear war.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Dagonee: By the time that the decision came to invade North Korea, South Korea had already been freed and much of the North Korean force destroyed. I would not define this section of the war as an invasion, after all we were there on behalf of South Korea. Up to this point, we're in the clear.

However, the decision was made to press on into North Korea separately for a number of reasons, reasons we can discuss if we really want to get into it. At this point, the war changed from a war of self-defense into an invasion and thus the equation changes.

I can support the former but not the latter.

Teshi: I still don't follow. What do you mean by "same situation"? How could China be dragged into a war supporting the US and why should I judge them worse in that situation than Canada?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At this point, the war changed from a war of self-defense into an invasion...
I thought about this a lot when we invaded Iraq and were making noise about pushing into the Sudan. In a nutshell: I'm not sure I agree. I do think that our movements into North Korea should have been accompanied by a declaration of war against North Korea, but I also think that a perfectly reasonable consequence of a failed invasion is a reprisal launched on ones home soil.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

However, the decision was made to press on into North Korea separately for a number of reasons, reasons we can discuss if we really want to get into it. At this point, the war changed from a war of self-defense into an invasion and thus the equation changes.

You don't regard invading North Korea in those circumstances as a gesture of self-defense?

Not to get all Ender-y on the discussion here, but if a guy knifes me in the gut and tries to steal my house, I'm not not in any way morally wrong if I go further than just shoving him out of my house and waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

Let's also point out for the sake of my not-so-shaky analogy that the other guy still hates my guts, and regularly brutalizes his wife and kids next door too.

quote:
I should point out that North Korea and South Korea were hardly separate countries and South Korea at the time was hardly the poster boy for democracy either.
Oh, please.

-------

Edit:
quote:
but I also think that a perfectly reasonable consequence of a failed invasion is a reprisal launched on ones home soil.
Especially if the smart money says they'll be trying again later after they rebuild.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

South Korea was what one would call a "Presidential Dictatorship" back in the day.
Mucus
Member # 9735

TomDavidson:
I think that a reprisal is "reasonable" in the sense that it is certainly a highly possible consequence of a failed invasion.

However, I think that it has to be established that "reasonable" is the same as "morally unambiguous." After all, if there is anything that we now know from the invasion of Iraq, a peaceful occupation OR less casualties than an extended standoff are both anything but guaranteed and the unintended consequences of such a decision can be pretty disastrous.
In fact, in this case we *know* the decision was disastrous.

Rakeesh: The analogy is pretty shaky. I'm not even sure what the "outside" of both houses would represent, the DMZ? I may note even legally in your analogy, at least in Canada, you have no legal right to pursue your attacker back into his house and steal his house in return, especially if you've already managed to stab him back in the gut already while kicking him out.

As for "smart money," do you really think that North Korean forces would have posed any threat at all to both US and South Korean forces at that time? Note that even combined North Korean and Chinese forces couldn't break the stalemate. Even worse, we now know that the stalemate can essentially be maintained indefinitely, was it really all that smart to squander so many American lives to accomplish basically nothing?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even worse, we now know that the stalemate can essentially be maintained indefinitely, was it really all that smart to squander so many American lives to accomplish basically nothing?
One might ask how wise it was to squander vastly more Chinese lives to the same end.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Mucus,

Well, the outside would represent your property or his still, heh.

The analogy does not stretch perfectly to reality, where we can of course call the cops to exercise government-sanctioned force to make sure we're protected.

But if you're living in the frontier where 911 ain't an option?

quote:

As for "smart money," do you really think that North Korean forces would have posed any threat at all to both US and South Korean forces at that time?

I didn't say at that time.

quote:
Even worse, we now know that the stalemate can essentially be maintained indefinitely, was it really all that smart to squander so many American lives to accomplish basically nothing?
Well, it's been maintained so far at tremendous cost to ourselves, and a much higher cost to the North Koreans themselves-them being the wife and kids I was referring to.

quote:
Certainly it wasn't smart. MacArthur and Truman made some pretty stupid mistakes. Invading North Korea wasn't one of them. Discounting Chinese intervention, even when it was all but neon-sign guaranteed, was.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
South Korea was what one would call a "Presidential Dictatorship" back in the day.
To make a bad joke, what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

in response to you saying "puh leez" when I said SK was not a democracy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That wasn't a denial of your statement, that was questioning its relevance.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

well when one says "NK invaded SK" it makes it sound like it was some sort of unjustified act of aggression.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
One might ask how wise it was to squander vastly more Chinese lives to the same end.

Except it wasn't the same end. Before Chinese intervention, American forces had essentially invaded North Korea all the way to the border of China and many in the military including MacArthur were talking about expanding the war into China. The Chinese intervention pushed the situation back to the old/new border between North and South Korea.

On the other hand, American forces before the invasion of the North had already reached that border. After the invasion was repelled, they went back to the exact same border.

So the two aren't really the same. The comparison is whether it was a good idea to trade Chinese lives for *all* of North Korea and whether it was a good idea to squander American lives for *nothing.*

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
But if you're living in the frontier where 911 ain't an option?

Presumably if you're on the frontier and you're both stabbed in the gut, then you're both dead anyways. What difference does it make?
This analogy is less then helpful [Wink]

quote:
quote:
As for "smart money," do you really think that North Korean forces would have posed any threat at all to both US and South Korean forces at that time?
I didn't say at that time.

Then we're talking about two different times. I've made it pretty clear that I'm talking about the time between self-defense and reprisal.

quote:
MacArthur and Truman made some pretty stupid mistakes. Invading North Korea wasn't one of them. Discounting Chinese intervention, even when it was all but neon-sign guaranteed, was.
I think you're splitting hairs here since the latter was a direct result of the former.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
well when one says "NK invaded SK" it makes it sound like it was some sort of unjustified act of aggression.
It was.

quote:
American forces had essentially invaded North Korea all the way to the border of China and many in the military including MacArthur were talking about expanding the war into China.
As I understand it, the goal was only to cut the Chinese off from their support of North Korea. Had they not been funneling support to North Korea, we would gladly have left them alone.

quote:

So the two aren't really the same. The comparison is whether it was a good idea to trade Chinese lives for *all* of North Korea and whether it was a good idea to squander American lives for *nothing.*

This only holds if you believe that the Chinese would have let South Korea retain that border had America not demonstrated its ability to push beyond it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually There's plenty of evidence to support that South Korea gave a sufficient casus beli at the time ie from raiding the border villages.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
As I understand it, the goal was only to cut the Chinese off from their support of North Korea. Had they not been funneling support to North Korea, we would gladly have left them alone.

As I understand it, this is not entirely true. Elements in the US military including MacArthur regarded the distinction between North Korea and China as artificial and that the US would have to eventually deal with China and the USSR anyways.
On the other hand, elements within American politics were also split, with some sympathizing with the military line, while as Rakeesh has noted, Truman believed that the Chinese would not intervene.

In any case, this debate would not have been transparent to the Chinese who had plenty of good reasons to distrust the US. It is also unclear which side of the debate would prevail given a successful and relatively bloodless American occupation of North Korea and if the Americans would have pressed further if the Chinese had not intervened.

Indeed, my heart is not filled with childish glee at the thought of two hostile nuclear powers directly bordering each other and *both* musing about using nuclear bombs on each other.

quote:
This only holds if you believe that the Chinese would have let South Korea retain that border had America not demonstrated its ability to push beyond it.
Do you have any evidence otherwise?

[ August 12, 2008, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
That's like asking you if you have any evidence that we would actually have invaded China. [Wink]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Ceasefire.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Blayne,

quote:
Dude, we're not talking about China here. Or Russia. So I don't understand where this absurd thinking comes from. On what planet wasn't North Korea's invasion of South Korea an unjustified act of agression? Geeze!

quote:
Actually There's plenty of evidence to support that South Korea gave a sufficient casus beli at the time ie from raiding the border villages.
Dude, no there isn't. Show it to me. Show me this 'evidence' that doesn't also show that both sides were doing that prior to the start of the war.

Preferably evidence that doesn't come from the North Korean state department, or something.

--------------

Mucus,

quote:
Given that North Korea was being supplied at least in part by China, from bases within China (one of the things MacArthur wanted to attack), yup. Plenty of evidence.

Unless you don't count direct support for the invading power that wanted to deny SK that border as evidence.

quote:
Presumably if you're on the frontier and you're both stabbed in the gut, then you're both dead anyways. What difference does it make?
This analogy is less then helpful [Wink]

Not necessarily. *rolleyes* I'll repeat, then: if you can't call the cops, what do you do? Just let the guy go back to his house, gather his courage and his knives again, and just wait? How is that either sensible or moral? You don't have an obligation to do that at all.

quote:
I think you're splitting hairs here since the latter was a direct result of the former.
Incorrect. It was the invasion of North Korea and continuing to press right up towards the border with China that guaranteed Chinese response, not just the invasion itself. That coupled with the rhetoric at the time.

quote:
Then we're talking about two different times. I've made it pretty clear that I'm talking about the time between self-defense and reprisal.
That's an artificial distinction you're drawing. The 'reprisal' was part of self-defense.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Re: the ceasefire story...

quote:
"We have no plans to throw down any leadership," Lavrov said. "It is not part of our culture. It is not what we do."
(speaking about forcing Saakashvili stepped down).

HA!

No surprise, Georgia pulls out of CIS

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Given that North Korea was being supplied at least in part by China, from bases within China (one of the things MacArthur wanted to attack), yup. Plenty of evidence.

Unless you don't count direct support for the invading power that wanted to deny SK that border as evidence.

Don't be ridiculous, weapons and training support does not equal intent to commit troops to an attack. Heck, the US provides weapons and training to Georgia *now,* something that the Georgians were hoping would be used to good effect when attacking South Ossettia. Does that mean that the US would aid Georgia in an attack? Fat chance.

Indeed, it was the assessment of the US military AND the political branch that China wouldn't intervene, invasion of North Korea or no, period.

quote:
Incorrect. It was the invasion of North Korea and continuing to press right up towards the border with China that guaranteed Chinese response, not just the invasion itself. That coupled with the rhetoric at the time.

Uh, no it wasn't. You said yourself that the warning given to the US was that China would intervene if the US crossed the border into North Korea. Additionally, we know that historically the command was given to mobilise in China for an attack the day after the US was seen crossing the border.

quote:
That's an artificial distinction you're drawing. The 'reprisal' was part of self-defense.
No, and that was not the assessment even of the US at the time.

Thats why they had to go back to the UN for a second resolution to give international legitimacy to an invasion of North Korea. In fact, thats precisely the reasoning that India used at the time when it supported the first resolution to defend South Korea but opposed the second resolution to invade.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

Only if one were a hopeless Vicky geek. [Razz]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually we now know that the Chinese mobilized the moment the Americans entered the conflict predicting the American landing at Inchon.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
[QB] Blayne,

quote:
Dude, we're not talking about China here. Or Russia. So I don't understand where this absurd thinking comes from. On what planet wasn't North Korea's invasion of South Korea an unjustified act of agression? Geeze!

quote:
Dude, no there isn't. Show it to me. Show me this 'evidence' that doesn't also show that both sides were doing that prior to the start of the war.

Preferably evidence that doesn't come from the North Korean state department, or something.

--------------

Henderson, Gregory (1968). Korea: The Politics of the Vortex. Harvard University Press.

and

Appleman, Roy E (1998). South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu. Dept. of the Army, p. 3, p. 15, pp 381, 545, 771, 719. ISBN 0160019184.

and The Bloody Road to Panmunjom by Edwin p. Hoyt

Actually China provided very little "supplies" during the initial invasion, beyond 30,000 Korean veterans from the War of Liberation China had little if any relations besides a few army observers with Korea as the USSR had monopolized it, only when things started to go badly for North Korea did they turn to China for help as they weren't getting enough from Russia.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Blayne, where did you get those citations?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well first I read the third one as I own that book and the other two were from the wikipedia article on the Korean war and looked for the source.

Does it matter?

Mucus
Member # 9735

Hmmmm, I've been doing some research and I may need to amend some of what I said about Canada to Teshi. It turns out our involvement in the Korean War was even more ambivalent than I thought and we didn't even really want to cross into North Korea.

Examples:
quote:

At first it appeared that Canadian soldiers would never fire a shot. Under MacArthur UN forces drove the North Koreans back to the border at the 38th parallel. Canadians and most others expected MacArthur, having vanquished the aggressor, to halt. To Pearson's shock and disappointment, he did not. Canada nevertheless publicly supported the US decision to carry the war into the north. Now the Canadians sought to restrain the American-dominated military action lest the Chinese communists be drawn into battle ...

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0004370

quote:

While sharing the American conviction that the expansion of Communism must be halted and contained, Pearson deplored talk of "rolling back" Communism and worried about American excesses. The attack of Senator McCarthy and his allies on the Department of State was, in his view, dangerous and thoroughly irresponsible. The American policy on China especially bothered him. He told his son, soon to become a foreign service officer, that he had attempted and failed to moderate American attitudes toward China. In the winter of 1951 it seemed to him that "emotionalism has become the basis of [United States] policy." Canada would still "follow" the Americans, but only to the extent of their strict obligations under the UN charter.

quote:

Further, it was often difficult for the American command to treat military units from other nations as "other than American forces" (p. 205). Hence Secretary of State Dean Acheson did not advise Lester Pearson of the decision to attempt the unification of Korea by force until after MacArthur's troops had crossed the thirty-eighth parallel.
All of this was rendered even more complicated by the very fundamental differences in the way in which Canada and the United States viewed the Communist Chinese intervention. Canada was never able to convince Washington that Chinese involvement represented a parochial maneuver to protect legitimate national interests and not a Moscow-directed offensive against the West.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3637429

So it turns out, the only reason Canadian troops crossed over is because we got dragged over without even being told and even at the time we were trying to convince the US to adopt a more nuanced view of the situation then simply to go in guns blazing.

We're practically just reenacting a more than fifty year old debate. A little annoying, but at least I have a high expectation for Canada holding the moral high ground which is certainly a welcome discovery.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Harper would have had us in Iraq, I doubt very much that Harper's views and actions in an analogous situation today would bear much similarity to Pearson's.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

On the other hand, I was proud to be a Canadian when Chretien announced that we would not be joining the invasion of Iraq despite US pressure and I think his views and actions would be analogous.

But you make a very excellent point, Pearson's or Chretien's Canada is one I can support. Harper's? Not so much.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to make sure everyone in this thread knows too, Gori has fallen and Russian troops moved down the highway towards Tblisi and set up a base an hour away from the capital.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it's safe to say the cease fire hasn't actually happened, yes?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Two updates:

1)
quote:

President Dmitry Medvedev has declared that Russia formally recognises the independence of the breakaway Georgian regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7582181.stm

2)
quote:

China will not endorse Russia in its battle with the West over the Georgia crisis but cannot say so publicly for fear of upsetting Moscow, political analysts say.

Since the Georgia crisis began -- culminating in Moscow recognising the independence of two secessionist regions, South Ossetia and Abkhazia -- China's reaction has been subdued.

It has expressed concern over the issue but has refrained from taking sides in what has become an increasingly strident war of words between Russia and the West.

But analysts said that if push came to shove, China's official stance would not support Russia, whose actions violated Beijing's long-held principles of national sovereignty and territorial integrity.

"The official Chinese position, if it were pushed, would be that this is unacceptable," said Paul Harris, professor of political science at Lingnan University in Hong Kong.

Cabestan said that China was also concerned about the Georgia crisis because it was worried Russia might exert similar pressure on Central Asian states -- all of which were former Soviet republics like Georgia.

"That's not in China's interest, as it has in the past managed to get some influence in Central Asia, and China and Russia both cooperate and compete in the region for influence."

Ultimately, Broadfoot said, the crisis could push China closer to the West.

"China will try to keep quiet," he said. "But if Russia overplays its hand, they will side with the US."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5guAa5jCMIWCy-SMYWZY4-0451p5w

Ah politics [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised you didn't link the article where Putin says the entire thing was orchestrated by the White House.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

This White House?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The one in Washington.

Putin said that US Special Ops were in the breakaway regions of Georgia with US passports on them, and the only reason they would be there was because they were ordered to, and the only person who could order them there is President Bush, so the entire thing is our fault.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

There are certainly *some* White House administrations that were certainly capable of manipulating and orchestrating other nations into war.

However, at this time and level of competence I wonder if this White House could even orchestrate a pizza delivery within 20 minutes.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.