FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Olympic Animals & singers

Author Topic: Google Olympic Animals & singers
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Google's front page is commemorating the Olympics with cartoony graphics of different events. Yesterday was a pig doing a dive and today is either a pig or a cow marching with a streamer.

Does anyone know why this (these? I first thought today's graphic was a pig, but my co-worker thinks it's a cow) animals are chosen? I think this year is the year of the mouse, so I wonder what significance (if any) the pig/cow have.

I mentioned on another thread that I haven't watched any events, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

On another topic, CNN reports that a young girl was lip-syncing during the opening exercises because the girl who was actually singing wasn't considered "cute" enough. [Mad] She looks plenty cute to me. She says

quote:
she was honored to have had a role in the opening ceremony, even though few realized just how big her part really was.
but my heart breaks for her that she's being treated as not good enough because of some subjective standard.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this article as well, and thought it was terrible.

While adults and teens are often looked at as sex symbols in the music industry here...it is sad that people are concerned about the looks of even a child singer.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
All the PR about how WORRIED China is about maintaining appearances bothers me. If China would just be themselves, I'd have a lot more respect for them.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Google's front page is commemorating the Olympics with cartoony graphics of different events. Yesterday was a pig doing a dive and today is either a pig or a cow marching with a streamer.

Does anyone know why this (these? I first thought today's graphic was a pig, but my co-worker thinks it's a cow) animals are chosen? I think this year is the year of the mouse, so I wonder what significance (if any) the pig/cow have.

I kind of like the irony of a pig (or cow) doing rhythmic gymnastics. Maybe it's just me. [Dont Know]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been pointed out that they might be making a connection with the Chinese zodiac.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Today it's a monkey. They must be going through all 12 year animals.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh...I like the dragon playing basketball!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Oooh...I like the dragon playing basketball!

No love for the mouse?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
All the PR about how WORRIED China is about maintaining appearances bothers me. If China would just be themselves, I'd have a lot more respect for them.

They need to watch more Disney movies.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Today's is a tiger playing badminton.

I love the way google commemorates events like this. [Smile]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Disney imprisons Cinderella for protest activism.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Wow, I'm sure that's traumatic for the kiddies visiting Disneyland.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.