FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breast Cancer

Author Topic: Breast Cancer
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Helluva dobbie.

My mother-in-law went in for a needle biopsy yesterday and found out today she has breast cancer. The lump is 1.6 cm and she is probably going to go for the full double mastectomy. She has been on estrogen for the past ten years and we think that may have contributed to it. All in all, she is OK. Maybe the full realization has not set in yet. Her insurance will pay for reconstructive surgery. Her doctor said they may remove her breasts and put new ones in during the same operation. She's joking about getting stripper boobs, but you can see worry behind her eyes.

It was just two years ago that she lost her sister to lung cancer, so everyone is really worried.

Our family would appreciate any prayers and good wishes.

Thanks,

Jack

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, didn't you just have cancer last year? Good luck to your mom.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I didn't. Just her sister dying two years ago. There does seem to be a lot of cancer on both sides of the family. Bad news for us.

Thank you.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought there was a discussion about your employment and health benefits. Nevermind, and I admire your mother's pluck to see the humor in her difficult situation.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I remember now. I did have some scary moles removed. I'm surprised I didn't think of it, I rub that scar almost daily. It itches all the time.

BTW, I still hate Health Savings Accounts. It's not as bad as I thought, but I still don't feel like I really have insurance.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to your MIL and the whole family.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law. I'm glad things are moving quickly and it sounds like she has good insurance. I really hope everything will go well!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I just noticed this. brojack17 I mentioned in my post that I checked out - Cancer Survival Guide -- Peter Teeley and Philip Bashe.

It's extremely well written!

((((((you and your family))))))

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Your family will be in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
You and your family are in my thoughts. My mom had a single mastectomy and then 10 years later had to have the second removed. She reacts to anesthesia so opted out of reconstruction but she is doing fine now. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know my mom did better with the chemo the second time around because the drugs had improved. That was six years ago.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Thanks everyone. She goes in for a second consultation with another doctor Wednesday. My brother-in-law works at a local hospital and all of the doctors he has spoken with cringed when he told them the name of her first doctor. She was able to get in with a better on. The diagnosis is still the sam but hopefully she can get better treatment than others have with the first doctor.

She continues to use humor to cope. Yesterday, we were eating chicken and my sister-in-law said, "I didn't want a breast, does anyone want a breast." My MIL said, "I do!"

I've never known her to be a funny person but she is really coming up with some hum-dingers lately.

brojack17
Member # 9189

There were some concerns because her x-ray came back and showed her Lymph Nodes were larger than normal. They took a MRI and a PET scan. Both came back ok. She only has to have her breast removed. I think she is going to opt for both to be removed. She said it would be hard for them to match her 51 year old breast with a new one.

She really has had a good outlook on this.

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this earlier with the diagnosis. Good luck to her, and glad she is so upbeat on it.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.