FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why try to make me feel sympathetic towards an unsympathetic protagonist?

Author Topic: Why try to make me feel sympathetic towards an unsympathetic protagonist?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched two movies, both comedies, in which the respective protagonists were astoundingly unlikable, awful, vile people.

And there's nothing wrong with that! Some of the great comedic masterpieces have featured unsympathetic protagonists...John Cleese's Basil Fawlty perhaps being the most iconic example. Horrible human beings can, done right, be very funny.

Yet these two films tried to do something that took me right out of the movie. They tried to make the protagonist sympathetic, by pulling the old "Oh my gosh! He was just a lost little lamb on the inside" trick in one case and "Oh, he was a good guy deep down inside all along, even if none of his thoughts words or actions ever seemed that way, didn't you realize it?" in the other case.

Both scenes clashed with the entire rest of their respective films. Both worked a sort of reverse alchemy...the comedic gold of the rest of the films suddenly became leaden. Both characters now seemed like pathetic losers and failures who were painful to watch. I don't think this was the intent.

I don't know. I suspect the film makers felt the need to force the audience to like the main characters. But it takes far more than one scene to make something like that pan out. And the nature of the humor all throughout needs to be altered. One couldn't laugh at Basil Fawlty if we suddenly were required to feel sorry for him.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
What were the two movies?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the formula of "vile, sociopath protagonist that really has a sweet center deep down" needs to be tossed in the trash more. I find myself enjoying TV shows, books, and movies with main characters who really are just...unsympathetic. They don't even HAVE to be jerks; some of the more interesting people are the ones who just live life for themselves, or have a skewed/apathetic viewpoint on life. I think there's this assumption that in order for a story to be likeable or I should say, enjoyable, the protagonist has to be as well. But I don't feel the two need to be linked all the time like that. I mean, I love Death Note and adore Scrubs, but I really am not a fan of Light Yagami or J.D.'s choices as people. There's nothing really wrong with the cliche I guess; it's just lame when it feels forced, or if it detracts from the humor or plot.

What films were you watching by the way?

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now the person I'm unsympathetic to is the thread starter, for not telling us what the movies were:p

My guess is one of them is that movie about the jerky dentist who can speak to dead people. Though I'm not sure it's out yet.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of what htey did in Wedding Singers.
Those two guys were jerks, but they turned the girl's fiance from a super too nice guy into a jerk to make one of the guys more sympathetic, then he went from a womanizing goon to a love sick wuss, and it was just an annoying movie.

40 Year Old Virgin was better.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Wedding Crashers. The Wedding Singer is freaking hilarious.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
You mean Wedding Crashers. The Wedding Singer is freaking hilarious.

Oh yeah. I love Wedding Singer.
Wedding Crashers is the one that annoys me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
So. Puffy. Are you just gonna to leave us hangin' here?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a trope name for "WRITER: An then the character does this, and the audience realizes that this was motivating him all along, so the audience's sympathies change completely! AUDIENCE: The hell you say"?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the same way when watching the Star Wars prequals. Nothing the actors did gave me any reason to be sympathetic toward their characters, especially Anakin.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.