FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm an idiot (thought it was a more appriate title)

Author Topic: I'm an idiot (thought it was a more appriate title)
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm not sure if you can please reply

I just packed my bags and i found out i have no room to put my recently aquired slingshot. Mail is expensive.

[ August 25, 2008, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: T:man ]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
why?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I'm leaving florida tommorow morning and all my luggage is full completely full and i'm bringing my slingshot home
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think it might not trip sensors but you don't want it to be confiscated if it does. Why not take out a few t-shirts or something and put THEM in your carry-on, and pack the slingshot, to be safe?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't count on it... I'd advise you to find a nook somewhere. Maybe take out a pair of socks or something you can put in your carry on in its place.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Please try it and report the results.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

If you luggage is so completely full that you can't stick a slingshot in it somewhere, I will assume its a large slingshot. Since it can be used as a weapon, it won't take much to convince them to confiscate it.

You can always risk it. Bury it at the bottom of the carry-on, behind anything odd looking, and hope for lazy security at the airport.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Oh, I'm so stupid I could definetly take out a coulple pairs of pants and fit it argh [Wall Bash]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Take out a couple of pairs of pants and put them all on so you don't have to leave them behind. Problem solved!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't pretend that the slingshot is part of your clothing. there is precedent for that sort of thing causing trouble.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You never know what's going to trip someone's sensors. I once ordered a real blowgun through the mail and had it sent to me at work. I worked in the Federal Reserve building at the time, where we had to go through something like airport security every morning to get into the building (though they did let us keep our shoes on). No one blinked. And I have a feeling my blowgun might be a little more lethal than your slingshot.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Generally speaking, I'm more afraid of a slingshot. Even if you're blowing something sharp and the slingshot is just shooting...shot. (I just don't think your breath can propel something heavy enough that it would be likely to do a lot of damage.)

Now, if you have poison darts...different story.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Some idiot shot a wrist rocket at me once that missed and hit a stop sign instead. It made a dent at least a quarter inch deep and about an inch across. It also sounded like a gong.

Scared the heck out of me. It might have scared him even more.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was on a cargo flight to Sao Paulo when the local representative (who happens to be co-owner of one of the largest forwarding agents in Brazil) asked me to take a box for him as a "hand carry" so it's theoretically easy to pass through customs as luggage. I worked for a freight forwarder and this guy was a respectable individual, so I didn't have a reason to doubt what was in it.

When we got off the plane in Sao Paulo, local customs wasn't as forgiving and asked us to open the box. In it were several electronic devices - CD players, cassette tapes, etc... and a cocked and loaded harpoon gun.

In case you don't know, electronics to Brazil carry a rather stiff duty rate. Needless to say, harpoon guns don't.

"We can't let you take the electronics unless you pay the duties and provide the forms."
"OK then, then you keep them."
"You have to take the weapon, though."
"What? Just leave it in the box."
"We can't do that."
"OK, then give me the box."
"We can't do that either."
"You expect me walk out in to the middle of the city brandishing a loaded weapon?"
"Well... Yes."

So there I am, walking out of Sao Paulo International Airport, armed with a loaded harpoon gun. I was petrified because I was unsure how the safety on this thing worked, and the last thing I needed was to shoot my own foot or, worse, an officer (the police look like military, and they were *everywhere*). Also, not knowing anything about harpoon guns, I didn't even know how to unload it (besides firing it, obviously).

It was amazingly easy to hail a cab, though...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Some idiot shot a wrist rocket at me once that missed and hit a stop sign instead. It made a dent at least a quarter inch deep and about an inch across. It also sounded like a gong.

That's a similar amount of damage as what would be caused by a .22 LR round.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He shot a ball bearing, much bigger than a .22, so he had significantly more mass to compensate for the lower speed.

I thought 22 LR could go through a stop sign, at least from close range.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I might be underestimating 22s. I think I've seen a lot of pockmarked-but-not-punctured signs that I assumed were shot with 22s, but I've been wrong often. My point is that slingshots can do a lot of damage - there's plenty of potential energy in that rubber band.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I killed a rabbit at about 10 yards with a .33 caliber ball bearing. I was in high school at the time and never thought I would hit the rabbit.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...first rule of any weapon....

Don't aim at something you don't honestly want to kill.

(experience speaking)

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

THis story is too tantalizing. What's a wrist rocket, an why did he shoot it at you?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I might be underestimating 22s. I think I've seen a lot of pockmarked-but-not-punctured signs that I assumed were shot with 22s, but I've been wrong often. My point is that slingshots can do a lot of damage - there's plenty of potential energy in that rubber band.

I taught riflery this summer at a camp (not that I am at all a gun person). 22.s turn out to be a leading culprit in gun accidents because people don't take them seriously.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Yeah...first rule of any weapon....

Don't aim at something you don't honestly want to kill.

(experience speaking)

Yes, I was thinking of that rule (that and "always treat every gun like it's loaded") when I read about the latest from LAPD's finest.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.