FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vladimir Putin

Author Topic: Vladimir Putin
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what hatrack and Orson Scott Card thinks about Vladimir Putin.

this song is literally played in the morning as a work out song by government sponsored youth camps.

here is part 1 and part 2 of Russian brainwashing.

Just for fun, search what Garry Kasparov has to say about Russia. You will have to find a foriegn media source - because Kasparov is blacklisted on Russian TV.

disgusting. Or is it, have I been brainwashed to oppose Government suppression? No, I choose democracy even if it means allowing opposing viewpoints and extremists to be heard.

postscript; I wonder if Bush knows he's in that catchy music video

[ August 26, 2008, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Griffin ]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read "Death of a Dissident". It is the story of the ex-KGB agent who was assassinated by radioactive poisoning.

I thought the book would all be cloak & dagger about the poison plot. I was wrong. It was one of the best historical/political books I've read. The history it goes over is the history of Russia from 1990 or so onward.

While it centers around the man who was killed, his life as an undercover cop mopping up organized crime gangs, it goes into the political machinations of those seeking to drive Russia into a modern democracy.

Putin is described as a Gang-raised loyalty junky who has mastered the KGB skill of reflection. He appears to those who speak to him as a reflection of themselves. They see in him what they want to see. As a result, they are all surprised when he acts differently than they predict. Someone like President Bush is fooled by this skill into looking in their eyes and seeing someone they can trust.

The main motivator of Putin in this book is basic street-level loyalty, the same motivator in the average street gang. You are loyal to us, then you get rewarded. You are disloyal and you get punished.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just say I wouldn't want to be standing between him and something he wanted if there was nobody else around except us two.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
In a word? Entertaining.

It's hard to explain why, because I don't like how he's gone about achieving his objectives, but I come from three years of high school debate where I needed to give a lot of speeches on the fellow. I suppose after reading so much of what he's done I've become somewhat desensitized to the immorality of his actions, but now just find enjoyment in his audacity to go through with them. Maybe it's a 'laughing away the tears' kind of thing.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
For years a few friends of mine and I have been saying his name at random intervals - just because it's a fun name. (emphasis on the puuuuuuu-tin)

That's about as close as I come to political commentary on Hatrack... : ) Helpful, I know.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the familiar form of Vladimir is Volodya, I really like the sound of that name. But then again, though I love Russian names, I'm not sure I could gather the courage to give one of their names to one of my future children. Maybe as a middle name.

[ August 28, 2008, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.