FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any one know anything about no fault insurance?

Author Topic: Any one know anything about no fault insurance?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter just called me at work. She was rear-ended as she was driving home from school. No one was injured, but she says the rear end of her car is pretty messed up. The passenger side tail light is trashed and she can't open the trunk.

Hawaii is a no-fault state, and since her car is our "second car" (92 Corolla), I only have liability insurance on it.

I haven't had an insurance claim since I moved here, and I've never lived in a no-fault state before.

Am I screwed here? Is there any chance that we can file a claim with the other driver's insurance to repair our car?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the sources I checked says that in Hawaii the no-fault rule only applies to injuries, and damages to the car are subject to at-fault liability coverage (sounds like the other guy would pay in this case).
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not vouching for this, but it is from the Hawaii government:

quote:
Lastly, the no-fault law does not abolish tort liability for property damage. Thus, persons may still sue for property damage.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick responses. I cleaned off my desk to leave early to deal with this, then remembered that I'd carpooled this morning, and my car was 15 miles away. I have helpful co-workers, though, so was able to get home fairly quickly.

I left a message with a member of my church who works as an insurance adjuster. In my panic, I didn't even think of him. It's nice to know I'm not as alone and I think I am sometimes.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is....I had something similar happen a few years ago, and I was amazed at the number of people who offered to help me out. People I wouldn't have even considered asking for help.

It was a good feeling. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
5 years in the auto insurance business here, let me know if you have any questions.

They are right, no-fault states are all about injury claims. Also, no state is purely no-fault. That means even for injury claims there are certain cases where they would have to pay.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.