FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Football Discussion Thread - 2008/9 Season (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Football Discussion Thread - 2008/9 Season
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Roy is a hell of a player, and he should be happy in Dallas. They have two of th best receivers in the game now, three if you count Witten at his position.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, that's Adam "Not Pacman" Jones. Get it right. [Big Grin] But thanks for the info; I hadn't heard that. Now I need to go read up Roy Williams.

Wow. It says Detroit got Dallas' 1st, 3rd, and 6th round draft picks for next season in exchange for Williams. That sounds like a lot to me. Anyone have any insight?

<-- doesn't know much about draft picks at all.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a lot, but a talented, young-but-proven receiver is *very* hard to come by.

The scary part is Dallas still has, I think, *nine* draft picks for '09 counting compensatories for free agent losses. I may be wrong but that's the way I heard it.

I am of the opinion that all the talent in the world will not help unless Garrett rediscovers that there are passes between "screen pass" and "everyone go long".

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
They also get a Titans pick from the Pacman trade since he has now been suspended.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am of the opinion that all the talent in the world will not help unless Garrett rediscovers that there are passes between "screen pass" and "everyone go long".
THANK YOU. I'm glad you post in this thread. You always put voice to the things that I'm too inexperienced to pinpoint. I get about as far as, "Something's annoying me about our XYZ," and then I'm stuck.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the Willams trade is great for everyone involved. He wasn't a bargain, but he wasn't overpriced either.

Roy gets a playoff contender. Dallas gets someone who can run routes better than Owens, is almost as fast as he is, and is a huge team player with a positive attitude.

Detroit gets another chance to draft poorly, underperform, and sink to the bottom yet again.

All is right for the world (and wrong for Lions fans).

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree almost entirely with Kwea, except for the minor caveat that Owens has been a superb team player for most of his time here, aside from an occasional ill considered word (and the worst came from his "publicist"--seriously, you get paid to help a guys image and you respond to questions of suicide with "he has 25 million reasons to be happy"? good night, that's incompetent!)

Anyhow, I didn't mean to sound quite so condemning of Garrett or the trade. I don't believe the trade is in response to the current situation or an attempt to fix it. I just wanted to point out that while a lot of people are crying about the defense and "undisciplined play" on the offense, I think the biggest problem is that the offense can't get any consistency, because they keep going three and out, because Garrett keeps sending the ball way downfield which gets Romo beat up, the ball stripped or intercepted, and, at best, the punter on the field very quickly... all of which put the defense in repeated tight spots.

But back to the trade. I wish people would realize just how good a GM Jerry Jones is... he traded down something like 4 times in this year's draft, got two very good players in Tashard Choice and Orlando Scandrick (both of whom are going to come in handy the next couple of weeks) and a 3rd and a 4th round pick. The 4th Round pick turned into 6 weeks of Pacman (when he was quite useful with Newman out) and a 5th and 6th from Tennessee next year with him suspended again. The 3rd round basically went to Detroit (I realize that's not the exact pick they traded, the pick they traded was actually worse, assuming Dallas outdoes edit:Cleveland this year) allowing Dallas to trade a 1st and a 6th for Roy Williams and a 7th. The 6th and 7th picks should almost be a wash, so it basically comes down to a 1st for Roy Williams, which is a very good deal for Dallas.

Dallas fans should appreciate their GM more.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Roy gets a playoff contender. Dallas gets someone who can run routes better than Owens, is almost as fast as he is, and is a huge team player with a positive attitude.
Ah, but will Williams outrun his own o-line to tackle the guy who made a pick?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.