FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama Messiah? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obama Messiah?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Maybe if two of us concentrated together;

Final Fantasy XII
Video games
Bioware
Commmand and Conquer

Final Fantasy XII
Video games
Bioware
Commmand and Conquer

Final Fantasy XII
Video games
Bioware
Commmand and Conquer
Final Fantasy XII
Video games
Bioware
Commmand and Conquer

Keep that up and soon we'll be getting ads for The Holy Church of Gaming.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Oh the ad on page two is for some sort of video game, it must be working! Apparently it's a "Perfect World" why haven't I signed up already!?

I wonder what other direction we can take this thing.

Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation Global Food Crisis, Poverty, Starvation.

Now to sit back and watch the bat computer do its' work.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Great, now we're going to have a church full of STARVING video gamers. Thanks, BB.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, many of the black churches in Detroit are notorious for their outspokenness on political topics and even promoting candidates. It is a group of black churches that announced they were going to challenge the IRS on this issue.

Orinoco, you are in a very small minority in your view that Obama did not sacrifice Wright. Your attempt to put a positive spin on Wright's invective and race-baiting (claiming, for instance, that whites invented the AIDS virus to commit genocide against the black race), is too intellectually bankrupt to comment on further.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Ron, I don't want to put a "positive spin" on Wright's lectures. Unlike you, I've listened to them, and I found them deeply appalling. Why have you misread me so greatly?

For the record, and Obama publicly agrees on this point, I find Wright's use of racial tension and the specter of racism to garner power and evoke emotional displays to be horrifying. His opinions on the history of racism are surprisingly insightful (he correctly identifies, in my opinion, the sources of racism) however his use of current racial tension, and his various other claims about the government are far beyond the pale.

Ron, even this issue is not wholly 'black and white." I can read a speech by Wright and see that he has himself done the research and reading that I have done, and probably more, but I can disagree with the conclusions he draws from that reading, and I DO. I'm frankly appalled that you read my contribution as sanitizing Wright; that is not my intention, Wright is a Bogeyman of slavery-past, and people like him are bad for the country.

Edit: You would notice, for instance, in Wright's speeches that he identifies the colonial and imperial cycles of the western powers, their growing needs for cultural and economic hegemony over the less powerful, as the source and fuel for racism and slavery. This is correct, in my opinion- the over extension of western culture in the colonial period led to such a massive moral decline. Wright correctly identifies the phenomenon, but then attributes it to a corruption stemming primarily from the government which I don't believe is the case. If he had read De Tocqueville, for instance, which I believe he probably did anyway, he would see that the moral decline sponsored and allowed by the government was carried out at the hands of individuals who had a some point failed to understand the true needs of their society, beyond material wealth and power. That's a cyclical problem- it involves people AND the government, and today racism and race-hate is the responsibility of all communities, black and white. Wright doesn't want to believe that, and he blames the government for all ills, which is just plain stupid. I think he does it because he loves the power and glory his worldview assigns him and people like him personally, and I find that to be morally and ethically repugnant.

I try to understand why people arrive at these conclusions- what motivates them and drives them, and where they go wrong. What are you doing?

[ September 10, 2008, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are you doing?
He's doing what Lamberts do best. Thinking with his gut.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows the gut is more reliable then the brain! There are MORE nerve endings in the gut then there is in the human brain.

I should know my gut told me so.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. My ad is for a Perfect World International

FREE to Play. Click here to enter a perfect world.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
One reasons with their nerve synapses not their nerve endings.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Great, now we're going to have a church full of STARVING video gamers. Thanks, BB.

Hey, just order them each a $5 pizza from Little C's on a daily basis and problem solved.

[ September 11, 2008, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

...The average gamer I know could eat about five of those things. At least judging by the amount of food we go through when we play D&D.
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
"O, bama, hey bama, bama, bama-ho, bama-hey, bama-ho, baaaa-maaaaa! Hey B-C, B-C, won't you fight for me? Bama-ho, bama-hey Superstar?!"

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Closely followed by Barack Muad'Dib.

I need sleep. Buenas noches.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
quote:
What are you doing?
He's doing what Lamberts do best. Thinking with his gut.
:Snort:
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
People often use themselves as a criterion for judging others. Let me recommend to some of you that you try Immodium or Pepto-Bismal. Maybe Gas-X would be helpful, too. The condition from which you suffer might be called fatuous flatulence. [Smile]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Kwea, many of the black churches in Detroit are notorious for their outspokenness on political topics and even promoting candidates. It is a group of black churches that announced they were going to challenge the IRS on this issue.

Orinoco, you are in a very small minority in your view that Obama did not sacrifice Wright. Your attempt to put a positive spin on Wright's invective and race-baiting (claiming, for instance, that whites invented the AIDS virus to commit genocide against the black race), is too intellectually bankrupt to comment on further.

I am from Detriot, and am familiar with teh history of this issue.

Notice I didn't say you were completely worng. Just that once again you are cherry picking your examples, completely ignoring the constant pressure from religious figures speaking in favor or Republican's.....even to the point of threatening to refuse politicians sacraments and threatening democratic parishioners with damnation.

The right has been FAR more active than the left with regards to intermingling religion and politics in the past 20-30 years.

Not that I expected you to bring that up. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Well sure, most religious people feel that the Democrats too often disregard religious concerns, principles and standards. Religion informs our conscience, our concept of right and wrong, good and evil.

The point is that the right generally intermingles religion and politics in a different way than does the political left. The left tends to be more superficial and inconsistent in its use of religion and religious symbolism.

Catholics, because of what their church officially teaches, have every right to refuse the sacraments to someone who approves of or tolerates abortion, especially the supreme abomination of partial-birth abortions. They have to defend the very identity of their church.

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
People often use themselves as a criterion for judging others. Let me recommend to some of you that you try Immodium or Pepto-Bismal. Maybe Gas-X would be helpful, too. The condition from which you suffer might be called fatuous flatulence. [Smile]

re ^^: People often use themselves as a criterion for judging others...
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

As an old C programmer, I have always disliked recursive logic. It can be fun to set up, but a bear to debug.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you've always disliked logic in general, Ron. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
if you don't use recursion how you gonna do permutations? Heck, isn't anything involving stacks recursion?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: anything that can be formulated recursively can be formulated without recursion (I mean that completely; this has been proven).

Of course, sometimes that non-recursive formulation is very convoluted. Not as much as you might think, though. For instance, doing permutations recursively is a quick way to blow out your stack, but isn't too bad to do without recursion.

There are plenty of algorithms that use a stack that are not recursive. Recursion does often involve pushing things onto a stack.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well sure, most religious people feel that the Democrats too often disregard religious concerns, principles and standards. Religion informs our conscience, our concept of right and wrong, good and evil.

The point is that the right generally intermingles religion and politics in a different way than does the political left. The left tends to be more superficial and inconsistent in its use of religion and religious symbolism.

*snort*

Yeah right. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you believe that that's true.

Personally, my opinion is that both sides are and can be fairly religious, but that the Right has no problem with forcing their religion on everyone else, or with exploiting religion for personal gain, whereas the Left is hesitant to use religious imagery, language and doctrine for fear of alienating people.

I mean, so long as we're speaking in broad stereotypes...

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Blayne, actually I have done some machine-language programming (short routines), where you always deal with the stack. Doesn't seem particularly recursive to me.

fugu13, I don't mind using recursion in nested loops in C programs, if it is an elegant way of accomplishing your programming objective. I usually have a sense of there being half a dozen ways of accomplishing anything, and I usually preferred the most elegant solution--which to me meant the shortest coding and that ran the fastest. Of course, now that computer speeds have gotten so high, run speed is not so much of a factor any more. It mattered more on my old Atari 800XL.

Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Obama

Just for those who haven't had the pleasure of seeing the ad Teshi mentioned [Smile]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
How often are you guys seeing the NewsMax "IS OBAMA ALREADY DEAD AND ON FIRE????? VOT HEAR NAOW" ads?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I have seen the "Is Obama Bad for America" ad, which is... interesting.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see an "Obama? In my executives? It's more likely than you think. Click here for a free whitehouse check."
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I want to see an "Obama? In my executives? It's more likely than you think. Click here for a free whitehouse check."

Caught me off guard. Literally LOL'd.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.