FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reboot: Daemon Rising

Author Topic: Reboot: Daemon Rising
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of years ago there was a really clever TV series called Reboot, a computer generated show about a computer and the people who lived inside it. Acting was a tad terrible when I go back and watch it now (it was aimed at kids who mostly didn't care) but the humor was really well thought out.

It produced three seasons, then when quiet for a while. Then randomly produced a fourth "season" (which was really just two made for TV movies), which I did not get to watch because my family stopped having TV.

I finally found the fourth season online (about 6 years after the fact) through not-precisely-legal methods that I won't repeat here but I sure anyone who wanted to could duplicate. I just finished watching the first movie "Daemon Rising," which was suprisingly thought provoking.

In all honesty, I can't think of anything to say about it other than "man, that was deep" and then list all the parts that made it so. I don't want to list a bunch of spoilers here anyway. But did anyone watch this when it came out who feels like briefly pausing to say "Yup, it was deep." Or maybe "no it wasn't." Or maybe "yes it was but I didn't like the way they manipulated Christian symbolism." (That might actually result in the most interesting thread. I imagine if I were Christian I might be somewhat offended by it, although depending on what kind of Christian I was I might like it. Dunno. I'm not in a position to judge)

I also hear the rights to the show were later bought by someone else, and they are planning another trilogy of movies. Dunno if that means more made for TV stuff or actual big screen stuff, but either way I'm rather excited.

[ September 17, 2008, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember enjoying that show. I was a tad bit old for it, but still liked it because it was taking place in a computer world.

Never heard about a 4th season or any made for TV movies, but I'm now currently downloading it. Figure I'll give it a shot.

from wikipedia:

quote:
On June 1, 2008, it was announced that there will be a trilogy of ReBoot films coming to theaters. Jon Cooksey has been signed to write the script for the first film. As of currently, the films will follow a different story from the comic, but the overall plan is to continue the methodology in terms of engaging the fans.[10] As of August Cooksey has been dropped due to Rainmaker deciding to take a different direction with the story. At this time, who will replace him is unknown

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man I used to love watching Reboot after school on Toonami. That show provided many decent gags and surprisingly witty quotations.

ALPHANUMERIC [Embarrassed]

I do remember one day seeing there was a random season 4, and I was like "huh? When did that come out?". I thought the recap musical was a fitting series finale.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
What was sort of neat was that the target audience of the show aged as the show did (sorta Harry Potter like). The first season had no real plot and was completely kid marketed. The second season was still fairly kid marketed but added in story elements that lead up to season three, which was targeted towards teens. The plot and characters got a lot darker and "cooler."

EDIT: The musical ending was great, but still left us with the huge "who is Daemon" cliffhanger." Resolving that cliffhanger was really worthwhile (did I mention I love Daemon Rising?) but is a very separate story from the main series, so I can see why the ended it when they did.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember if I've seen "Daemon Rising" or not. Probably not since I can't remember too much about it. Though that could be because I didn't watch it over and over again like I with the series when it aired. I will make it a point to watch it in the next week or so.

Its pretty crazy to watch some of the first few episodes and then go watch season three. Especially with big-Enzo.

My favorite part was always the inside jokes and hidden pop culture references.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I just watched the followup movie "My Two Bobs" as well. Not nearly as good as Daemon Rising, but still decent in an old school reboot humor way. It did have some of the same philosophical stuff that Daemon Rising had, with the question of "what is it to be a copy?" but it was handled a little too cheesily for me.

I don't really like how they left it with no resolution whatsoever. Daemon Rising had a random cliffhanger but it didn't prevent the current storyline from being completed.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I loved that show, and Tony Jay (RIP). Never watched beyond the 2nd season because I was already going "man, the graphics suck" [Big Grin] What can I say?

Never heard of Daemon Rising, but I do know Rainmaker studios is a good company, and has done a lot of VFX work in the field. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the series.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Glitch.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i remember one "game" that came in or invaded or whatever they do was bruce campbell's character from the evil dead / army of darkness. i cracked up so much at that episode. i really liked the show too. now im going togoto one of those illegal sites and tryto find it. thanks for making the thread and reminding me of some good memories.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.