FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US: Voting Tools -- now updated for university students!

Author Topic: US: Voting Tools -- now updated for university students!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to add (also at bottom of thread, currently):

I've been worried about university student access to presidential election polling, given my own experiences as an undergrad.

This looks to be a useful reference for students: New Voter Guide Explains Rights of Student Voters from the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law. If you are a student, it may be a good resource to use now in order to make sure you can cast a vote; if you know a university student, please recommend it. Thanks.

quote:
With a thorough synthesis of the voting regulations in 50 states and the District of Columbia, the Guide features a clickable map of the United States with concise guidelines about the often complicated registration, residency, voter ID, and absentee laws that vary in each state. By scrolling over a given state, the Guide allows students to quickly determine how to cast a ballot whether they are voting in their home state or out of state.
---

Edited to add: USA.gov has a slew of information links for individual US states (including deadlines) and links to individual state voting information webpages.

---

Many states require voter registration at least 30 days in advance of elections. We are currently about 1 1/2 months away, so time is getting tight. I'm also worried because there may be some situations in which registration is not clear or is disputed (link to to Wall Street Journal article on discussion about potential voter challenges and changes).

Vote for Change allows you to double-check on your registration via a national database, helps you find out how to register if you need to, and has links about voting absentee. This is an Obama-affiliated site, but it is open to all, and there is no political advertising that I can see. You do have to enter an email address (I think), and that seems to register you for Dem-related emails, so you may want to have a dummy account.

I used the Democrat-affiliated Vote from Abroad website to fill out the proper forms as a US citizen voting from abroad requesting an absentee ballot. That form gets mailed in, and I also have an absentee ballot from that same site in case my standard absentee ballot doesn't get up to Canada in time.
I did not see any political advertising at that site, and I did not have to give an email address.

---

***********NB: I'll be happy to add in any Republican-affiliated or neutral sites with this information as well. It's a different circle than the one I am in, so I am not familiar with those tools. However, note it below and I'll edit in in up here.***********

[ September 24, 2008, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had to think about this since I moved from Maryland in August but have not obtained a permanent address in Utah yet. I found out Utah allows registration 30 days ahead by mail, 15 days ahead in person. Maryland accepts absentee ballots up to 1 week before the election. I'm going to vote as a Maryland absentee so I can be counted sooner in the night, and I might as well get some benefit from that darn house not having sold. They start to send back ballots about 3 weeks before the election. I got these informations from both state websites.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Great. I bet there is a website somewhere that lists the individual states' main websites for voting all in one place. I'll see if I can find that.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Found it. See top of original post for official US government website.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent public service, CT! Thanks.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a permanent absentee voter, an option California voters should be aware of. You just send in a form and you're set for life, basically. No reason is required, and it means you don't have to stand in line/take time out of your day to get to the polls. And if you're sick that day or out of town on business or whatever, no problem! I love this law. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I've been worried about university student access to presidential election polling, given my own experiences as an undergrad.

This looks to be a useful reference for students: New Voter Guide Explains Rights of Student Voters from the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law. If you are a student, it may be a good resource to use now in order to make sure you can cast a vote; if you know a university student, please recommend it. Thanks.

quote:
With a thorough synthesis of the voting regulations in 50 states and the District of Columbia, the Guide features a clickable map of the United States with concise guidelines about the often complicated registration, residency, voter ID, and absentee laws that vary in each state. By scrolling over a given state, the Guide allows students to quickly determine how to cast a ballot whether they are voting in their home state or out of state.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.