FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving to the dorms...

Author Topic: Moving to the dorms...
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
... well. For the first time, I have an excuse to live in the dorms of a college! It should be fun.

Still... I can't help thinking, with the current economic situation, and the fact that I dunno what kind of job I'll be able to find when I'm done in two years, is the 16,000 in loans I'll need worth it?

I could drive again, 30 miles either way, during schooltime easily enough.

Maybe I should just do it this quarter, see if I like it. If I don't, I can just come home and start commuting. But then again, being part of the school community might be good for me, anyway.

What do all you Hatrackers think?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Economically speaking, you could spend up to 10,000 dollars on gas during that time by commuting, assuming rising gas prices, at an average of 20 mpg, driving 5 days a week. Then there's an hour of your time wasted every single day.

Also, people who commute a long distance to go to college were not available for the social circles that formed between people who lived closer. But I was a music student, and that was important to me. I think that there's something quite good for a college student about being able to wander over to the quad or student union coffee house any time of day- running into people they might not see if they only drive to school to attend classes, then leave.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to add in as someone who commuted from just across town, it made it harder for me if I was assigned into a work project with a group and it made it harder for me to access material and items I needed. Often having to make special runs back to campus to check out books that I didn't know I needed until I started the work. I advise Campus living if you can do it.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
I lived on campus my first year and it was fantastic compared to commuting everyday, which I do now. The one thing that I liked about it most: I didn't have to worry about finding classes that were scheduled close together or having to wait between classes. Occasionally the wait is fun, usually it's not enough time to do anything and I feel more excluded and isolated. If you're living on campus you always have your own place to go back to and more friends to fill the time with. Plus no commute expense - just walking.

Financially it was more sound for me to commute (I'll manage to have gone the whole 4 years without any loans) but I'm hoping to move back for my last year because the experience was a lot better. I have reasons for not wanting a loan, basically I'm saving my debt for further education. It was cheaper for me to get a car and pay for gas than it was to live at the dorms. That has a lot to do with the type of car you have.

You lose social circles, have difficulty working in groups, and are either limited in activities you can participate in or are wasting time and/or gas to be involved by commuting.

quote:
Maybe I should just do it this quarter, see if I like it. If I don't, I can just come home and start commuting.
How easy would it be to get someone to takeover your room if you decided to leave?

Of course, this year is turning out to be very different than my second year (first commuting) because of my particular living situation. It's no longer as stressful as it was, so it really all boils down to what you think will make you the happiest.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

These are all good points.

However, I'm still worried about the loans I'd end up paying. That, and the security, or lack thereof, of my dorm room when I'm away. Yes, the doors lock automatically, and my room is locked, and I have the key. But still... in a building with a large number of people, thievery is still possible.

Wow, am I sounding paranoid?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
No, if a door is unlocked when/if I live in a dorm then i would grab all the shiny things.

Sorry but if someone doesnt take care of their stuff, uh then it will be stolen.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
No, if a door is unlocked when/if I live in a dorm then i would grab all the shiny things.

Sorry but if someone doesnt take care of their stuff, uh then it will be stolen.

I think we found Blayne's thief.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Heh.

Regardless, my real worry is the loans. It'll end up... 16,000 total, if I stay the two years.

I really worry about that. Would it be better to avoid that debt, even given that I'd miss out on a lot of school stuff?

Still... transportation costs would be high. Easily two tanks of gas a week, if not more. Which would be at least 80. Which, after 10 weeks, would be 800... then, after 50 weeks would be 4,000. In the two years, it'd easily be 8,000 or more. So it'd be a lot. More than twice would I'd pay otherwise for gas. And that's at today's price. Which will go up, I'm sure.

So Orincoro was correct. Still... I worry.

Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Heh.

Regardless, my real worry is the loans. It'll end up... 16,000 total, if I stay the two years.

I really worry about that. Would it be better to avoid that debt, even given that I'd miss out on a lot of school stuff?

Still... transportation costs would be high. Easily two tanks of gas a week, if not more. Which would be at least 80. Which, after 10 weeks, would be 800... then, after 50 weeks would be 4,000. In the two years, it'd easily be 8,000 or more. So it'd be a lot. More than twice would I'd pay otherwise for gas. And that's at today's price. Which will go up, I'm sure.

So Orincoro was correct. Still... I worry.

So you need to either pay the 8,000 as you go or 16,000 over time after you get out of school. I don't know your cost of school, but I can imagine. My wife's student loans were twice mine and that was just 4 years after I got out of school. But payments are pretty low. Think about the fact that your student loans will be spread out over a longer period of time then most loans. It really is not a bad montly payment. *Just to add an FYI...after one year in the dorms, you could apply to be an RA and get free room and board at most colleges, which in turn could save you 8000 of the 16000.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I would strongly suggest working while in college. Job experience of any kind will help you get another job and could open doors you hadn't even considered. If you can get a job remotely related to what you want to do- that's even better. If you get something on campus, that's a fantastic way to meet people and get more connected to the college community. $16K is a lot of money that will take you a fair amount of time to pay off. It's best to minimize that as much as possible.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:

How lovely and neighbourly. The people in your dorm are your friends. They're you're meal buddies, drinking buddies, casual conversation, and general social circle. Not everyone's going to be best friends, but geez.

I like being able to trust the people in my house. We watch out for each other. Stuff is safe. The worst that happens is someone pinches a plate or fork without realising it belongs to someone specific. It's a good way to live.

Way to be an asshole. There's very little that really and truly gets my goat, but part of me wishes you'd be the victim of a petty theft yourself. An unlocked door isn't an invitation to rip someone off. Holy carp, man.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I commute to school, 40 miles round trip three times a week. It's mostly a commuter school though. The University keeps trying to bill itself as a great place to come live on campus, but it's still 80% commuters. I'm actually on campus a lot more right now than I ever have been before though. I used to take a lot of night classes, but this semester I'm on campus all day Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'm actually enjoying wandering around the campus and seeing a lot of the stuff that I didn't even know was there before. Miss America was in the student union the other day, that was neat.

For my school though, I wouldn't live on campus for undergrad, but I'd consider it after I graduate and go to the next phase of education. Mostly because for my university, on campus life isn't really a big deal since so many kids commute, but if it's a decent sized school with a nice on campus community, I might consider it worth the extra expense if you REALLY want to get the most out of it. Personally I'm far too frugal though. I'd do whatever was cheapest, get in, get out, and get on with my life.

You have to decide what is best for you. If you really think it's worth all the extra money to be on campus, then stick with it. If you find you aren't getting the most out of it, then save yourself the cash and commute.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Way to be an asshole. There's very little that really and truly gets my goat, but part of me wishes you'd be the victim of a petty theft yourself. An unlocked door isn't an invitation to rip someone off. Holy carp, man.

Agreed. I would want to punch somebody if they stole my stuff.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Miss America was in the student union the other day, that was neat.

Did you get her number?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
She's not really my type. Her voice is way too shrill. I listened to her for about 30 seconds before wishing for the first time in my life that I was deaf.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I found living in the dorms to be an extension of high school. I was pathetically grateful to move off campus.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that any of my friends will go to college, excluding Ms.C and Q the frog, in fact I doubt teddy and matt will make it out of high school.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Living in dorms for at least the first year is definately the way forward. By the sounds of it you'd probably spend similar amounts on travel if you lived elsewhere, and the convenience of being on campus is priceless.

I lived in a rented house for my first two years at uni, and then in a a hall of residence for the third (albient I was on ana exchange programme and thus got a good deal for being a poor foreign student [Wink] ). The time in halls was great fun and meant that I got to meet many more people than just those on my course or drom my (limited) social circle.

Be careful with your kit though, there are jerks everywhere (even Hatrack it would seem, eh T:man).

I think it's a brave decision you've made, but definately the right one. Now the deed is done, you can relax a bit and enjoy yourself! [Big Grin]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, after a week of being here, it's certainly interesting.

I'm still a somewhat asocial (not antisocial, just... somewhat asocial) person, though at least I have much more interaction with a much larger group of people my own age. It's useful, and in time I might even make some friends, first here in the dorms, second out in class, and then maybe wherever.

Second, I'm beginning to find uses for my refrigerator and pantry. I finally got groceries, and realized that that might be a better use of my food money than just going even to the cafeteria. Luckily, this school has a small grocery store in its' union building, which I believe I shall make use of from now on.

I've been watching Comedy Central a lot more, oddly enough.

But it's been interesting being here. I don't mind it very much, and it's nice to be away from parents and so forth.

Working back in the city I live in is growing untenable even after just a week, though. I'm gonna at minimum transfer to the one here in this city... if not just find a brand new job entirely. Sorry... working only 8 hours next week, because I told my boss I couldn't work until 9 on Sunday (then suggesting, as we'd previously agreed, ending work at 7) and he responded by not having me work Sunday at all, and furthermore, the next week, cutting my hours on the few days I do work almost by half... no. I'm sorry, it's just not worth the drive.

But otherwise, this has been interesting. Yeah, I need to get out and talk to the other students more. But I'll always need that. Anyway, as soon as my camera charges, I'm going to go practice for a few hours, learning more about how it works, and learning how to make good video, taking into account all I've learned this week.

I'm gonna go borrow one of my neighbors for help. (Namely, carrying the cumbersome tripod, and then walking or sitting or standing or whatever the heck I want him to do as I film him.) That might be good for a laugh.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.