FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religion and Family Strife

Author Topic: Religion and Family Strife
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a cool article in the Chicago Tribune. Different religions don't have to cause strife in families. We decide how we take things. How we take things says more about us than it does the other people involved sometimes. Families are complicated, but this is a good reminder to me not to be quick to get upset over stuff that may well be meant a lot kindlier than I take it. =)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even believe in any religion anymore, but if I found out some cousin decided to baptize my dead gradparents, I would NOT take it as a compliment. They both survived the 20th century turmoils in Europe, and proxy baptism would be a disgrace and a means to dishonor them in my eyes.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We're not going to do the proxy baptism thing again, are we?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Please no. I don't know if I can take it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy. The article irritates me quite a bit, and I think posting it here, after all the threads we have had on this very divisive subject, shows an incredible lack of judgment and consideration for the beliefs and feelings of others.

But I'd really rather skip another rehash too.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What they said.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to possibly be signing books with three big name authors in North Carolina in November.

I think that's something we can all support.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! But you know, you should probably announce that in a thread that's less likely to be deleted by its creator. We can always use more good news.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I do wish this article came in a subject about which I took the other side. But it was such a cool attitude that I felt I wanted to post it. I do take it to heart on subjects about which I might be prone to be hurt or offended. I like the whole idea of not taking offense where none is intended.

I hope in my own family that I'm someone like the two brothers who loved and helped one another, who remained close, despite their wider family's rifts. I want to be the person who doesn't feed into the rifts. That was the idea of the post. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I remember that proxy baptism thread.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.