FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need IE6 help

Author Topic: Need IE6 help
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I have a complete POS for my home computer. It's a long story how I got it, but bottom line, it was free. I can't replace it for about 9 months, and it does most of what I want it to do, so I'm getting by.

For most of my home internet usage, I use Firefox, but to watch Netflix instantly, I have to use IE. That's ALL I use it for.

But last night, I tried to open IE to watch something, and it wasn't working. No matter what page I tried to open, it would mostly load, then freeze up. I had to control/atl/delete to get out of it. It's been a week or so since I opened it last and it worked fine then.

Is there some way to open IE in a safe mode? Or how hard is it to delete/reinstall the program? I tried to use the uninstall program on the control panel last night, but didn't see it in the programs available. I guess it's built into the operating system or something.

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial to help me fix this problem?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
You can download IE7 from windows update. That should get your bug.

But I'd wonder about spyware if that happened to me.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I've been told that under no circumstances should I install IE7.

I'm sure there's a whole lot of malware on my computer, but I'm just trying to keep it working.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you elaborate why you were told to avoid it like the plague? I don't use it much, mind you, but I do keep my system up to date with all the security patches--including IE7.

From I security perspective I can't imagine not installing it.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

The IT guy here at my office said it was full of bugs and told me not to update to it. He didn't really specify why.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
IE7 works fine, in my experience.

And yeah, there's probably no way to uninstall IE6. You could reinstall the entire operating system. (Not a bad idea if the PC is giving you trouble and you don't mind backing up all your documents and files and reinstalling all your programs.) But in your shoes, I'd still upgrade to IE7 if possible. It's definitely no worse than IE6.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with sfbum. And I use IE7 for the same thing (plus watching shows on nbc.com)! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you aren't already using IE6 for anything else then there isn't much reason not to upgrade to IE7.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Now the question is whether Microsoft will let you download IE7 without using IE6. (only half kidding)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Can't I download it using Firefox?
scifibum
Member # 7625

I have a possibly faulty memory of having to use Windows Update which only works in IE. Things might have changed or this might be a case of my brain malfunctioning.
maui babe
Member # 1894

Well, I'll try when I get home from work tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

maui babe
Member # 1894

I downloaded IE7 and it runs fine and I was able to watch my Netflix. Thanks again for your advice.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you use firefox for most of your browsing needs, why not installing the IE tab addon for firefox? Then you can choose specific sites to open within your firefox windows, but using ie engine.

I think you'd like it. [Wave]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

IE tab does not play nicely with the Netflix player. I've tried.
maui babe
Member # 1894

It works for me. Thanks Eduardo!
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka: do you use firefox 2 or 3? I tested it using FF 3 in various movie sites and worked like a charm (didn't test on netflix, though).

maui babe: glad to be of service. [Wave]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

FF 2. It works sometimes, but IME not consistently. Easier just to use IE for that. *shrug*
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

It probably would work in FF3. I remember, though, that you didn't want to use the latest version. I just don't remember why.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.