FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will Paychecks cash on Friday?

Author Topic: Will Paychecks cash on Friday?
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been following this stuff way too closely. And in all the crap, muck and doo-doo i've read, the ARMAGEDDON scenario Bush, Paulson, Frank and others mention is....

"Checks won't cash on Friday."

Bush said it last week, if it wasnt done by Friday night,
and someone else has mentioned it again each day. With Sunday night and Monday being the HARD LINE in the sand.

So. Will Borders, Burger King and Macy's have trouble making payroll this Friday?

If retail businesses begin to fail, i believe THEN the average american will wake up and pay attention, they can't all be hatrackian.

I am almost shocked at the number of people who aren't following this at all. Almost.

T

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole "checks won't cash on friday" thing is hyperbole.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yeah..... And "If we don't invade Iraq immediately, Saddam is gonna nuke us." etc ad nauseum

US House of Representatives rejects $700billion extortion demand by a vote of 228 against to 205 for: with Democrats voting by a ratio of 3to2 in favor, and Republicans by 2to1 in opposition.

Sheesh, ya'd think the Democrats would've learned better about caving in to Dubya's panic-mongering by now.

[ September 30, 2008, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The biggest robbery in US history, though I'm sure that NativeAmericans and AfricanAmericans would dispute that phrasing.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

It ain't as if we haven't been through this same BS before, several times.
luthe
Member # 1601

I would dispute that phrasing and I am neither.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 

You mean there are still people who stand in line to cash their payroll checks? Who are these ludites who don't use automatic deposit?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I was one until this spring. I didn't have a bank account and paid for everything in cash or with money orders.

I don't quite trust banks.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

You mean there are still people who stand in line to cash their payroll checks? Who are these ludites who don't use automatic deposit?

Sadly, the company I work for that has a few thousand employees does not offer direct deposit. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Who owns all the land and the property that was foreclosed?

How many homes and apartments are there in America?

How much of the Land is owned by banks or other?

Will the house loans be rework according to the inflation/deflation?

Why have the churches been as quiet as a church mouse on this crisis?

If yesterday was the panic'd baby boomers selling, selling, selling, was today the 'insiders' buying it all back at 1/2 price?

There is a limited amount of resources on Earth. Odd how entwined we are to something that is so manmade.

I love you.
God Bless
and
Godspeed
my brothers and sisters

T

PS. I do believe, in one of the threads from long ago on hatrack, i mentioned that I studied revelations, and after 9/11, my guess was the 'BEAST' mentioned was' The Stock Market.'

Sounds less crazy than OSC's liberal police killing meganaughts from hell, or what ever.

PSS. If the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, best Democrats they can come up with are Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Joe Biden.

The bailout blackmail bill is FUBAR no matter what.

PSS. I loved Iron Man too. The Dark Knight and a cool Iron Man movie? maybe there is hope after all

T

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush and his cronies have used the "when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" philosophy of government once too often.
I'm glad that terrible bailout bill was voted down.

Perhaps they could roll out a color-coded Economic Panic chart:

Green : all is well, keep watching cable
Blue : start withdrawing money and stuffing your mattress
Orange: stockpile canned goods and firearms
Red : let the looting begin!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Is a new form of Corporate insurance a good thing?

Does it make our government smaller?

love the Economic alert chart.

Except Purple instead of Red.

I've been to the doctor once for a check up and had zero tickets or wrecks in a decade. The thousands of dollars I paid car and health insurance? Public charity? Or just shut up and be glad i didn't get severely injured in a car accident?

It all seems like a band-aid any way.

This economy will totally collapse anyway. Eventually.

if you increase the human needs goods and services at 20% to 30%, and keep wages still born for way, way too long, eventually.......

Republicans put in Tax cuts to the "new" bill attempt?

WTF does that mean? 10 trillion dollar debt, a new blackmail bailout with an unknown price tag, and basic costs rising, and oil/energy the x-factor. How can the US government cut taxes when it doesnt have the money to pay for its own services.

Dallas Independent School District just Terminated 164 teachers due to a budget shortfall.

As a writer, who's brain thinks visually, it's hard to stay sober or sane.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sobriety is highly overrated anyhow. Don't bother.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

Higher taxes do not always equate with higher revenue, nor do lower taxes.

(Not to say cutting taxes now is a good thing, or a bad thing, just that the system is not that simple.)

Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

If bill does not pass tonight, how much does Stock Market lose tomorrow?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my paycheck cashed yesterday. Rather too well, in fact. The idiots paid me my summer grant for the second time. So they'll be docking that from my pay for the next few weeks until it's been made up again. Clearly some people don't have a liquidity crisis.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Proudly Raises Hand*
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Sadly, the company I work for that has a few thousand employees does not offer direct deposit. [Frown]

Many companies don't. My current one does, thankfully.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The last 10years of the DowJones average of stock performance.

Not surprising really. Other than an absurdly small number of exceptions (eg Google and windpower companies), there really hasn't been much actual improvements in either products, efficiency, or profits. Instead cheap credit was used promote "last man out" Ponzi schemes and pension-fund*looting.

* Anytime you hear a CEO use the word 'synergy' in conjunction with 'leveraged buyout','merger', and/or 'relocation of corporate headquarters' what is meant is that executives intend to fire the most senior employees, then pocket the money that would have otherwise gone into retirement accounts.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine showed up in my account as usual, and seems to be spending just fine. Who cares, anyway? It's never been real, you know? It's just electrons dancing around in some silicon somewhere, or magnetic domains aligned in some molecules. Who trusted in that to start with? Who thought it made any difference?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's real. You can connect it to cheeseburgers.

Like, if I use my debit card to buy a cheeseburger, I can trust the dancing electrons to adjust appropriately towards transferring the cost of that cheeseburger to the company that made the cheeseburger, so by way of dancing electrons I have a testably operating account that measures my net worth in cheeseburgers.

And cheeseburgers are pretty real.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you have paychecks that don't cash (companies that aren't doing good) just thought I'd let you know Wichita, Kansas is pretty much isolated from all the economic woes at this time. Our economy is thriving and growing; all our local banks (which didn't get into the whole sub-prime mortgage craze) are stable and profitable, and giving out loans; unemployement is very low, and the local forecast is for 6200 new jobs in our area in the next 12 months (for population 300,000, that's not too bad). Things are booming. Come live in Kansas. [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Never!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheeseburgers make a good form of currency. If dollars become worthless, as Confederate money did toward the end of the war, then we can always barter in cheeseburgers. Or cigarettes. That way I won't be tempted to consume my savings. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

I am going to get a cheeseburger, to be patriotic, i will add bacon for 50 cents.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I can haz cheezburger?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, back when Burger King would regularly have its 99-cent Whopper deals, I found that it was quite useful to express costs in units of one Whopper (on the grounds that two Whoppers were enough food to get a poor college student through a whole day).
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Great one Tom!

I'm actually a freak that just got a new job in an industry that's related to finance.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure everyone's paychecks are going to keep cashing. It's not like everyone in the world is ignoring what is going on. It's just that, well, what GOOD does it do the average person to pay attention? The only thing that will happen is that people will start to panic. Panic is the one thing we do NOT want to begin. Let everyone leave their heads in the clouds. Do what I do and studiously IGNORE what is going on in your 401K. Unless you're retiring in the next 10 years, it's not going to do you any good to cry over it!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.