FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Search into the Past

Author Topic: Google Search into the Past
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Being that Google's turning 10 and all, they've released this:

Google Search 2001

quote:
In honor of our 10th birthday, we've brought back our oldest available index. Take a look back at Google in January 2001.
I would recommend searching terms such as iPod, Zune, "bin Laden," and Google yourself (I, unfortunately, didn't exist in the Googleverse in 2001).
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia is one of my favorites, and don't worry i don't exist in 2001 either.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's swineonline. An old browser based game that I loved as a little kid way back when. It has since deceased, but the 2001 search has it!
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I barely exist, some high school University of Toronto contest and an automatically generated ICQ(!) page.

Ah, the memories.

Oh, and some Usenet posts on sucky Bell Internet. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A whole bunch of old Hatrack posts (from 2002, mostly) can be accessed that way. And the signup form for EnderCon!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
One Workforce Investment Act agency board out of thousands of listings. That is the curse of the common name. I sometimes wish my mom had more of an imagination.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

One amusing thing: I have a much better ratio of hits then than now. If you "Rivka <lastname>" then, you only get a few hits -- but half are me. If you search it now, most of the hits are a couple of college instructors by that name. Depending on the day, I usually have one hit on the first page of results and one or two on the second.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing major events. SARS, 9/11, etc.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
facebook

News: Newest cellphones no longer just for talking

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter, anyone?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Barack Obama, that's an interesting one.

Sarah Palin registers no relevant hits.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird ... I found a lot of stuff that was more recent than January 2001.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
John Romero:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011201175517/5years.doomworld.com/interviews/johnromero/

http://web.archive.org/web/20010516204543/www.johnromero.com/

And apparently, MySpace was some sort of file-storage or security thing?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Weird ... I found a lot of stuff that was more recent than January 2001.

They're using an old index; I don't think that necessarily means all its hits won't have been updated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.