FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » VP DEBATE #1 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VP DEBATE #1
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade -

Yes, you can do that - in fact, we have been. And the theory is that if we stop doing those things, we can have impact on warming.

But you have to accept the fact that mankind has been a cause of global climate change if you think that by stopping certain behaviors we can impact climate change at all.

What were her solutions? "Cleaning up this planet" and "reducing emissions". She has also mentioned "pollution". That all speaks to curbing human behavior so as to curb the impact of climate change.

Her "solutions" all shout "humans cause climate change" from a bullhorn, but she doesn't publicly acknowledge that is the case.

Likely this is because polls say that people like to hear phrases like "reduce emissions", "clean up the planet", and "stop pollution". Keep repeating those talking points, and you'll sound like someone who knows what they're talking about, regardless of whether you belive those things to be true.... so long as no one listens to closely to what you say.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
FC: I think I see what you are saying currently, I don't think we are arguing.

Environment aside was alittle surprised to hear Palin say that she wouldn't interfere with certain rights granted to those in a same sex relationship, ie: hospital visits, wills, joint property ownership, etc.

I haven't really seen strict conservative responses to this statement, but I wonder if there was some sort of mini uproar over this.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have heard from pro-gay rights people, Palin's statement didn't really make them happy. They felt like it was code for don't worry, I won't actually change anything- I just need to say something mildly tolerant in order to get elected.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
From what I have heard from pro-gay rights people, Palin's statement didn't really make them happy. They felt like it was code for don't worry, I won't actually change anything- I just need to say something mildly tolerant in order to get elected.

Better that then, "I'm gonna pass a constitutional amendment defining marriage...etc."

I think folks should recognize when anyone takes even a tiny step forward. Ten years ago Palin would likely have been able to get away with simply saying nothing on the issue.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You see what I did there? You know what I'm talking about? Do ya? Do ya?
Nice obscure OSC short-story reference. 10 points! But you lose nine of them for making me think really hard. And for the smilies.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.