FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » California Proposition 8 (Page 30)

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30   
Author Topic: California Proposition 8
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
It just seems like one of those "How you see the problem, is the problem" situations.

From the people who brought you "left-handedness is the devil" comes a new trait that can be corrected given enough slaps with a yardstick and the right tools.

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
If you make your own definition of homosexuality "A type of lifestyle/behavior which is sinful, wrong, and unhealthy." Then you can pretend all you want that science might sway you, when in fact you know that it never will.

If you're unwilling to either accept that your definition is wrong, or at least be open to modifying it, then science can tell you day and night that the earth isn't the center of the universe and you can say, "Sorry, I'm going to believe what God tells me over what you say any day."

BB, I can tell you I was touched by God. Right after I accepted myself, I felt the most divine peace settle over my countenance, a peace of such magnitude I have never felt before. And you know what it said? "It's OK."

It felt like putting on a suit that fit me perfectly that was there all my life, I just never wore it.

So who's feelings of God are the truth? The ones that say it's wrong, or the one's that say it's ok?

It shouldn't matter, because nobody KNOWS much for sure of anything, but because of "belief" we have 30 page long forum threads debating the validity of our fellow humans experience of life.

Isn't that what most religions profess? This is the way, and all those other ways are wrong?

And when called upon for their crimes against humanity, all that is offered is the religious equivalent of the Nuremberg defense, and if we're lucky it's wrapped in a bit of the science of the times.

But like you BlackBlade, I and others, are not responsible for what, from the outside, appears to be a dilemma for religions and you. But if your mission carried you to our door, I can say that you would not be met with lambasting. [Smile]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So whose feelings of God are the truth? The ones that say it's wrong, or the one's that say it's ok?
Neither. Your subjective feelings are not evidence of anything external to your brain.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your subjective feelings are not evidence of anything external to your brain.
The similar experiences which convey mutually exclusive truths are evidence that at least some and perhaps all such experiences are misinterpreted.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
But that's part of my point, maybe should've made that clearer. [Razz]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neither. Your subjective feelings are not evidence of anything external to your brain.
That's an assumption I don't agree with. When I feel cold, it's usually pretty good evidence that the air temperature is lower than usual. It may be subjective, but it's accurate.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Earendil18:
quote:
BB, I can tell you I was touched by God. Right after I accepted myself, I felt the most divine peace settle over my countenance, a peace of such magnitude I have never felt before. And you know what it said? "It's OK."

It felt like putting on a suit that fit me perfectly that was there all my life, I just never wore it.

I like that way of saying it alot.

quote:

So who's feelings of God are the truth? The ones that say it's wrong, or the one's that say it's ok?

Perhaps it is right that you first accept that part of yourself. I wouldn't presume to say your feelings are wrong.

quote:

It shouldn't matter, because nobody KNOWS much for sure of anything, but because of "belief" we have 30 page long forum threads debating the validity of our fellow humans experience of life.

I agree, I don't think my experiences are very applicable to anyone but myself.

quote:

Isn't that what most religions profess? This is the way, and all those other ways are wrong?

I see it this way, "This way is the best we've got and is functional, all other ways approach it in correctness." There is plenty that could be improved upon in Mormonism, I believe that the reason it isn't perfect is because we aren't ready even though we profess to want all the knowledge God can grant us.

quote:

And when called upon for their crimes against humanity, all that is offered is the religious equivalent of the Nuremberg defense, and if we're lucky it's wrapped in a bit of the science of the times.

Could you be so kind as to elaborate on this? Do you feel those who voted for Proposition 8 committed a crime against humanity from which there is permanent damage?

quote:

But like you BlackBlade, I and others, are not responsible for what, from the outside, appears to be a dilemma for religions and you. But if your mission carried you to our door, I can say that you would not be met with lambasting.

I really appreciate that. I hope that if you do come across missionaries that if they come across as kinda strong or even insulting, that you realize they are young men and women, who are trying to learn how to be good representatives of Christ. We screw up alot in that effort.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
There is plenty that could be improved upon in Mormonism, I believe that the reason it isn't perfect is because we aren't ready even though we profess to want all the knowledge God can grant us.

Where have I heard this before...
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
There is plenty that could be improved upon in Mormonism, I believe that the reason it isn't perfect is because we aren't ready even though we profess to want all the knowledge God can grant us.

Where have I heard this before...
There's a difference between a religion stating that knowledge is shut off perennially, and that knowledge must be granted in increments.

I'd say as far as religions go Mormonism has that tap unstopped much more so than many others.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.