FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cisco and the really wierd...thing

Author Topic: Cisco and the really wierd...thing
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working through Cisco certification (because I want to be a well rounded computer geek), and part of their learning service includes some games that help teach and re-enforce networking principles. Some of them are really useful. Like Subnet and the Binary conversion game...others are...uhh... this.

Just thought I'd share with everyone. Cause you know. I love you guys [Big Grin]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Marketing materials disguised as training materials! My eyes!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always sad when the dobie gets more replies than the original.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Whisky tango foxtrot.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It's always sad when the dobie gets more replies than the original.

I thought the dobie was my own thread for about 2 minutes...darn.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
After working in a big box retailer for a couple of years, I thought I'd be able to take whatever you threw at me.

Boy was I wrong. I turned that thing off 10 seconds in.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Things I learned from that:

1. Servers are GIANT computers!!!

2. Packets go into Internet PIPES!

3. If you don't have encryption shields, you have to jump over hackers.

4. Apparently, seven year olds with disposable funds they might decide to donate to charity need to learn about TCP/IP.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Wow...I learned that I could only take about 2 minutes of it before had to quit. Didn't even make it to the actual game.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It really is a series of tubes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Wow...I learned that I could only take about 2 minutes of it before had to quit. Didn't even make it to the actual game.

"Skip" is your friend.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
It really is a series of tubes.
As opposed to a series of wires and optical fiber interconnected by a lot of switching circuitry?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of people lost you at "series of wires"...

That's why the meme about a series of tubes has endured for this long, I think. There's a kernel of truth to it, in many people's eyes.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
The majority of people lost you at "series of wires"...

That's why the meme about a series of tubes has endured for this long, I think. There's a kernel of truth to it, in many people's eyes.

I've always figured that it was what his office IT guy told him when asked why his email hadn't gotten where it was supposed to. The whole situation is made ironic by the fact that 1. Stevens was speaking out against net neutrality, and 2. The reason his email took so long to get there was that the major internet companies in Alaska actually *have* the type of monopolistic control that the ISPs in the lower 48 *dream* of. And their network suffers because of it. (I lost count of the number of lost email situations that got traced back to the ISPs' crappy service while I was doing support up there)

edit: I commonly refer to this phenomenon as AIS...Alaska Internet Syndrome.

scifibum
Member # 7625

Oh, was Tom referring to that description of the Internet? "enormous amounts of material."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.