FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!

Author Topic: By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Marvel Studios is already planning on characters to give the big screen treatment after the current wave of Avengers films plays out. Even considering the Spidey, X-Team, and F4 characters are off-limits, they have a vast array of characters to choose from.

One character getting mentioned a lot is Doctor Strange, the hero current Marvel EIC Joe Quesada claims is too difficult to write.

Heck, the recent direct-to-DVD Doctor Strange cartoon didn't even have him become the Sorcerer Supreme until the last 15 seconds, preferring instead to portray him as some kinda semi-mystic martial arts guy.

I say forget that. In fact, this would be the perfect character to defy the current trend in "realistic" super-hero movies and go for something totally insane. This is Doctor Strange, a man whose on speaking terms with the anthropomorphic personification of the totality of the universe. (Eternity, to his friends!)

He's not a karate guy, nor a grim crusader. He's the guy who save the entire world's dreams from Lord Nightmare, or fights the Mindless Ones in the Dark Dimension.

Go for something trippy, weird, and wonderful. Don't even bother with the origin, unless it's an opening credits summary like The Incredible Hulk did.

Then get working on an Agents of Atlas or Guardians of the Galaxy movie and I can die happy.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Recommend a few Doctor Strange titles for me to read, available as trade paperbacks. I've liked the character when he's shown up in other things (especially 1602) but have not read any of the core title Doctor Strange. So make suggestions. Do it now.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
The original comics, if you can find them are great! I loved Steve Ditko's art. Stan Lee's story is okay, but his style has become a cliche' over the years.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Essential Doctor Strange: Volume One contains the entire run of Steve Ditko's original, ground-breaking Doctor Strange run. While Stan Lee's dialogue hasn't aged very well, Ditko's visual imagination and tight plotting remain timeless.

For a more modern look at Doctor Strange, Brian K. Vaughn's Doctor Strange: The Oath is a pretty good character study that features gorgeous art by Marcos Martin.

P. Craig Russell's What is it That Disturbs You, Stephen? graphic novel is another fine book, if you can find it.

Any of Essential Defenders volumes are likely to feature the good Doctor in his unlikely role of super-hero team leader for Marvel's quirkiest "non-team", the Defenders. Keith Giffen and Kevin MaGuire did a recent Defenders mini-series that focuses heavily on Strange's relationship with his arch-enemies...tongue planted firmly in cheek.

There's a collected run by Steve Englehart that's supposed to be good, but I've personally never read it.

Finally, X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl is (despite the title) mostly an excellent Doctor Strange story, exploring his brief adventure with Marvel's deadest mutant super-heroine.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.